Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are you happy with your Hot Rod or Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

I love that car.Nice ride.

1956 F100 likes this.
  2. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

I was thinking how happy I am with the way my current car is turning out. I thought about starting a post but found this one instead.
    I was thinking there's multiple ways we end up with the car we have, some build them all themselves, some buy others stalled projects, some buy running, driving cars and improve, fix things, make them theirs. Any way you acquire you car, car guys are not likely to leave it alone. Improving and fixing things is part of the enjoyment, at least for me. I enjoy looking at a completed task and being happy with the way it t 20200703_115059_copy_1008x756.jpg urned out. My 56 dodge royal, a few more tasks to tackle like adding ac but really happy with how it's turning out.

Rickybop, Lil32, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  3. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Even though I don't have a driveable old car at the moment I'm pretty happy with my pile of parts that someday will become a 4-banger powered Model A Phaeton.

thumbnail_IMG_1110.jpg

When I'm not working on the A I like to daydream about what would be a suitable "partner" for it.
    I've narrowed it down to a car that has fenders and a roof, preferably a V8-powered Ford of some kind if my economy will allow that, maybe a Shoebox or a 52-54.
    Otherwise I think some kind of European car from the 60's will do the trick.

4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I love my car, but want more, lol. I don't have 'a' dream car really. There's a lot of things I'd like to own. Dad always told me nobody owns um all, but you can try a few at a time...

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Driving my dream car along with my best girl ever. Life is good and I’m more than thankful. A778D6CD-BEE1-43D5-B5BE-A7F7E7A60FD7.jpeg

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As a teenager using his own hard earned money to buy his first car was a happy moment. When I saw the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was a very fast, good looking hot rod. It would have been perfect the way it was built for all of my teenage high school needs. Reliable daily driver to high school, sports team practices, dates, trips to the beach, mountains, surf movies, and possible racing at Lions Dragstrip.

The sedan delivery had one of the first 348 Chevy motors in a different body style of any hot rod builds during “our time” in Bixby Knolls. The sound of the 348 motor idling through the local drive-in parking lot made everyone turn their heads. “What the heck is that?” and “Who built that hot rod?” were the two most commonly used descriptions overheard.

upload_2020-7-12_3-42-36.png
    But, it was not to be, until the owner made one last counter offer and I took the deal. A stock Flathead motor in the place of the big 348 and the deal was made. I had a hot rod/surf van/cruiser/ to meet all of my needs. The only people that did not like it were the parents of the girls being taken to dinner, movies, etc. Even my own mom did not like the sedan delivery.

Not until my brother bought a VW van that he converted to a camper/surf van. Then my mom said my sedan delivery was …OK. She did not like it because it had a floor shifting LaSalle transmission and not a column shift or even an automatic. That prevented her from borrowing it any time… she could not drive a stick shift car.

Jnaki

upload_2020-7-12_3-43-32.png
    As a teenager and owning his first car was a wondrous thing. It gave me freedom to go where I wanted, hang out at the beach, at my friend’s houses and at the same time, it still was a hot rod. So, it was accepted at the normal teenage drive-in restaurant parking lots hot rod/cruiser with extra benefits. It also did not cost very much, was under powered and did limit my mountain driving. It even strained to get up those steep coastal highways to get to our surf spots up and down the So Cal coast.

Even the high school football coaches laughed when they saw me driving the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. What the heck it that? They told me that they did not want me to get injured going surfing and ruin the football season. But, it was reliable, everyone liked it (except for parents) and of course…it was mine. We were “Happy Together…”

Rickybop, Lil32 and sgtlethargic like this.
  7. oldsman41

oldsman41

I don’t change things just to change things but I do upgrade stuff on my cars. Safety oriented always

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I get a smile on my face every time I slide behind the wheel, so yes... 83BDB7FD-4980-43D9-92B0-CC5ED57FEAEE.jpeg

9. Well I sold the Coleman Coupe and it is back in Colorado from where it came from. My work was done on it refurbishing just about everything mechanical without changing the coupes looks. So the circle is complete.
    Now to the original question. Am I happy with my hot rod? "Yes"
    Had it out today and it is such a joy to drive. Good weather does not hurt!:cool:
    IMG_6786 (2).JPG

exterminator, Rickybop, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  10. IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0021.JPG I am very happy with my 34 Tudor. Makes me smile a lot.​

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    exterminator, Rickybop, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  11. I better be. Have had it 55 years!!
    1-DSC_7837-1024x678.jpg

12. Muttley

Muttley

I love my Comet.......hard to believe but I've had it over 12 years now. If I had the money I'd do a couple things to it but overall, yeah, I'm very happy with my car.

DC17 1.JPG Duncan Ceramics February 2017 #2.JPG DC17 6.JPG DC17 4.JPG Duncan Ceramics February 2017 #3.JPG

13. Why am I thinking Sachs and Sons? ;)

Muttley and whtbaron like this.
  14. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yes...but I've got a couple more in the "project" stage - just in case. :rolleyes:

phaeton 190.jpg

15. My problem is I dream about EVERY car.......I don't know what "the one" would even be :confused:. I want to drive them all, touch them all, I have A.D.D.

Rickybop likes this.
  16. Muttley

Muttley

Could be because of my plate frames........;)

1.JPG

17. What are you doing with Jack Chrisman's car? :D

Rickybop, Muttley and Special Ed like this.
  18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

!Vic34Shade.JPG IMG_1566.JPG YES! Still messin' with them, though.

19. I have had several mid life flings with other Deuces but I always go back to my favorite '32. HRP

[​IMG]

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Sure,happy or would not still have a hot rod I built at the end of 1950s.
    I have wondered if my Full custom "J" ,I built early 1960s ,had not been stolen in 1964 ?. Would I of kept both or only one?, If so,what one? The "J" had been in Car Craft mag. in jan of 1963,both had won many car show trophy's,the "J" I drove more back then,it had a working T-Bird folding top an roll up windows with Olds Rocket 88. The hot rod was faster with a Y-block T-Bird V8 an a ton of fun,but no top or side windows at all then.?
    HenryJ at DinnerKey.jpg HRZ2.jpg

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

I’ve come full circle with cars, bikes, trucks, imports ( sorry) and now back to my original idea of a dream car I’ve been thinking about since I bought my first ‘40 Ford coupe in 1965. I didn’t have a liscense, but I had to have it!

I got this last fall and spent the winter cutting out crappy floor pans, wheel wells, and making a set of fenders out of six that came with it. It was a rusty shell held together with 3/4” pipe, sitting on a running frame.
    Lots of work, but I’m loving it! IMG_3714.JPG

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I took my Chevy to a Camsnapper meeting tonight. On the way home I found myself grinning. . . . I have been driving this car for 11 years without any issues. My first total build,including the engine, all by myself. I am very happy and proud of my 57 Chevy 20170225_133220.jpg

23. Lil32

Lil32

Happy
    nice to drive
    60,000 miles

n1947b.jpg

24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Just 44 Years Together And It Looks Like We Have A Comfortable Olde Marriage.. DSCN0646.JPG

25. What is it that that you think draws you back to this car over the others you have had? Your other cars were all nice and some were more ‘finished’ or fancy than this one. It is the simplicity of it?, the look?, the feel? What is it about this car that ‘connects’ you to it?

chryslerfan55 and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I finally found my dream car but its off topic, it's a 69 SS396 el Camino.. Big block, Hurst Autostick shifter, Turbo 400, 2:73 rear.. I have the suspension fully updated while looking 60s. It's not perfect by a long shot but that makes it perfect for me. I can take it all over the city without much worry. It has a nice "used" feel and look now. It handles like a formula car, low to the ground with a flip of the wrist I can make a deep turn. The Lee 14:1 box with a 30 pound valve makes it turn like the fast turning, manual box I always dreamed of having but was impossible because of high caster numbers and it being manual. This box is the best of a manual box and the best of a power box all in one box, it's so amazing!!!

One of the cars I always wanted to build is a 55-56-57 Thunderbird with a modified suspension for the street, a Chevy 454, Turbo 400 Hurst Autostick shifter of course. While looking like an early 60s hopped up car..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and LAROKE like this.
  27. exterminator

exterminator

I don't know if I have a dream car or truck. I have a truck I really like and it would take mucho money to buy which I don't think will happen. As far as a trade, the only trade that would even have a smoken heck of a chance would be the right 33,34 ford 5 window full fendered coupe with a smc with a four speed. Not likely to happen. So I will continue to cruise around in my blown 40 pickup. (I really suffer).:cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad this thread came back up. Hadn't seen it. I read the whole thread this morning. Enjoyed every post. Haven't had an old car going for a while, so I've been living kinda vicariously through you guys and your cars lately.

But I've got this 53 Chrysler sittin' here, waiting on me. It's not a 32 Ford Coupe or a model A Roadster... and I wouldn't have likely picked a big old Chrysler for my dream car, but at this point, I guess it is... LOL. So I'm happy to have it. I'll be happier once I can start working on it steadily, have it start to come together and share with you guys.

Until then... Please definitely keep posting. Seeing you guy's cars and all you do with them is inspiring and motivational. And hearing most of you say you're happy, tells me that it's still worth the effort. And that makes me happy.
    Great stuff, guys.

chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  29. trollst

trollst

The question was asked, what keeps you coming back to a particular car? In my case, my 36 wasn't my first choice, lots of things I didn't care for, but over the years I've grown to love. I built it cause that was all I had, and all I had the money for, but over the years, it has developed character, and has developed a personality of her own. It has been absolutely reliable, never let me down, when I show somewhere, it tells those who know me that I'm in the vicinity, its unmistakably mine. It has become part of me, part of my family, I know even after I'm gone it will never be sold or changed, it is an heirloom. DSC07687.JPG