Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you ever truly done buying cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 11, 2018.

1. 40FORDPU

40FORDPU
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Yelm, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I intend to always have at least one project in the works, providing I'm physically able to work on them.
    If it wasn't cars for me, it would have to be something else..I like to stay somewhat busy.

1959Nomad, Roothawg and mctim64 like this.
  2. Right... I took a $75k bath over night....

3. There is always one being built, one waiting to be next, one on my mind and one that I don't have in mind but pops up unexpectedly. It's what we do. I like building them, working on them and driving them. The hard thing is selling them, I almost always regret selling the moment they drive away. As long as I have breath and the physical ability to work (project) cars/trucks will part of my life.

1959Nomad and Roothawg like this.
  4. exterminator

exterminator

I'm done! At age 66 which is young compared to some of you.Have two cars, 40 ford pickup (keeping) and 41 ply conv getting rid of.In fact just placed ply on craigslist. Wife wants a new car and only have 3 car garage so one car has to go. Besides having retired 4 years ago and living on social security doesn't give much spending money anymore. Oh well I can drive only one car at a time. Exterminator

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Roothawg likes this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I like too many different things. Sometimes I wish I was just a 35-37 Ford guy, then I see a really nice hemi powered roadster and my pee pee feels funny....

6. It's a curse & a disease and most of us say this is the last one but you find yourself minding your own business and not looking for a project and that's when on falls in your lap. HRP

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm pretty sure I will not be buying another old car unless it would be to flip or part out.

I wish I were born rich instead of handsome:(

8. dudley32

dudley32

I hope so.....not :)

9. Of course im not done. I dont look at it like it a problem. So far in 2018 I haven't bought any cars. Bought a couple of tractors some engines & parts and just yesterday bought a Chore Master single wheel walk behind garden tractor. Already got it running. cleaned the carb and converted the 5 hp briggs to electronic ignition. sold my 55 GMC and one of my 66 GMC,s this year. adding less and less to the hoard as time passes. However its like that diet where you gain less and less weight every day.

10. Joatha

Joatha

Quit buying cars?

No one likes a quitter!

1959Nomad and Roothawg like this.
  11. SR100

SR100

What's the over/under on a saucy little Falcon turning HRP's head? Sorry, Mrs. HRP...

Roothawg likes this.
  12. jazz1

jazz1

13. choptop40

choptop40

Not ever and parts to boot...just got this radio delete for my 49 3 window image.jpg image.jpeg

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 40's ago in 2013 I was done with cars. Wife told me I was only fooling myself. At 75 a bit slower but just finishing a 40 coupe and on the hunt for another-also know of a decent 36 3 window--may try something new.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep-lost enough for a couple of projects thus far.Oh well HUH?

16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I guess not! I just brought home my buddy's 64 Merc Marauder that I have been lusting after for years , but have been saying no to for the last 2 or 3. He has Parkinson's and is thinning the herd. He knew I have always wanted one and said he did not want anyone else to have it and made me an offer I could not refuse! Good thing is it is a nice driver so I can enjoy it while I finish the 51. Then I will make the 64 into a 60's super stock look a like. But I swear if someone offers me a 54 Merc hard top I will beat them to a pulp!!! lol Larry

olscrounger likes this.
  17. dan griffin

dan griffin

Done buying and building my own,still doing it but with other peoples money.

18. bchctybob

bchctybob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won't be buying any more project cars. I have two "done" and running, two builds in progress and one waiting in the wings. I've slowed dramatically in the last two years leading me to be a little more realistic. By the time those are running and driving the current ones will need some freshening and so the cycle will go until I just can't do it anymore.

olscrounger and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  19. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

LOL,LOL,LMFAO!!! now that was very well put

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree that it is my therapy as well in building them, but I have two major mentally dysfunctional traumas , 1) addicted to swapmeets and vintage parts collecting, 2) always looking at CL just for fun but something usually perks my interest and I start day dreaming. Then I want that potential project instead of what I already have.. but do lists keeps getting longer as I finish one for her she comes up with three ideas. Marriage is a full-time job.:D

1959Nomad likes this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I get more moments where I wish some one would walk up and offer me cash for my T, all my parts, vintage accessories and signs , thermometers etc. All gone and I could sweep out the garage , go back in the house and ......jump back on CL or find a swapmeet...

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It's really all my Dad's doing. He would sell a runner or project and Mom would say finally! Two weekends later like clockwork, he would hook the trailer up on a Saturday morning and in the afternoon here he comes back with the trailer loaded with the next one.:D

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Update: He wanted too much. Which was good. Now the bad. He told me about a buddy who had a pile of parts and a few cars that are in his opinion not restorable.
    Guess I’ll have to take a look.

24. jazz1

jazz1

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hey R,
    At your age, you are still in the early 2/3 of your whole lifespan. Keep building for the next 15 or so years then, your wife will start to tell you that “we” are all entering the last 1/3 of our lives and to plan accordingly. That means get rid of stuff and enjoy life without too many obstacles or things. Those sunsets are sometimes great for dreaming. Yes, family, house, cars, will need attention during these last years. In other words, get your life ready for the simple pleasures of waking up and not having that Monday morning rush to get the week’s work finished.

We have lived a long time. If we all looked back, our lives can be divided into sections for activities and life. Anyone can make their own lives into thirds or 4ths for simplicity. But, as we move along, it is the simple life to look forward to enjoying and not have to rush to get anywhere, do anything, or make long range plans. We are in those plans that were set out much earlier.

By this time, most long range plans have been met or are in the final stages. Life has always been for enjoyment and these later years are really fun. It is too bad we don’t have the bodies of our 20’s to go along with our advanced minds and knowledge. We are not saying these later years are tiresome. Over the years, the old body get a little shorter and worn out from all of the activity going on…your old bones will give you the message much faster, these days. (No more shooting hoops, one on one or running for a goal after a scrum in Rugby, etc. Dodgeball, perhaps?)

Luckily, the brain still works relatively well. (despite putting a missing cell phone inside of a cookbook and replacing the book back on a kitchen cabinet shelf earlier without a clue. The vibrating ringing caused some funny moments. When through a process of elimination, finally, figuring out that it was inside the book and cabinet. Ha ha…a real senior moment.)

Jnaki

Hot rods have been part of our early lives. Time marches on and we cannot change the past, but only look forward to the future. Enjoy your present status, do what you like, and have fun. Slowly, it will come time to see the other way of cruising, cruising on this fun, wild ride while it lasts.

We are finished buying cars as they are paid for, we enjoy them and unless there is an accident or ??? They will be our forever cars. Our son and granddaughter will have other times for buying their line of cars for their futures. But, the most reliable car for getting to school or job is the important thing. Everyone has to have adjustments in the daily lives to have a monthly car payment (a lease is less than a buy) of sorts in So Cal. But, paying off a car gives that secure feeling…AAAH… “NOBODY WALKS IN LA…”

Roothawg likes this.
  26. choptop40

choptop40

Oh well , decided to sell my 49 Dodge 3 window and pulled the trigger on this...at least I'm selling one..ha ha image.jpeg image.jpeg

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  27. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think I may be done building cars, which may or may not mean the '51 in pieces all over my shop gets back together. But I don't think I will ever be done buying cars. Once I retire, who knows? I enjoy the building, but I also enjoy just owning/driving them.

28. Started buying in 1975 and still buying at the age of 58, don't plan on stoping.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The day I'm done will be the day I have my final appointment with these guys:

Squirrely-Undertakers.jpg

BigO and mgtstumpy like this.
  30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I believe I have another one left in me. I see so many good projects and drivers out there however despite having the abilities, time and skills, funds are a bit short as is available space. Then I need to get them here from overseas, more $$$$.
    Great therapy for me and something we all enjoy. Keeps us sane and out of trouble

BigO likes this.