Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you able to Drive your hot rod or Custom year round?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 5, 2017.

1. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I drove my 26T yesterday with the windshield cranked out in 40 degree temps. It was cold but it still put a smile on my face. A snow storm is coming in tomorrow so I will have time to piddle and tweak........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would bet that on average, my winters are considerably warmer than yours. but THIS one is a bitch!:D

Edit: I just HAD to look it up, I am a whore for statistics. Average daily high for Jan 5 over the last ten years in Surrey BC is 39.92F, Average daily low is 32.9. Man I love the internet!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER and KoolKat-57 like this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

When I lived in SoCal I could and did!:)
    Here in NB.....no way.........:(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. No- only about 6 months-

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You betecha Red Rider, except we actually have wet falling from the sky, first time in five years.
    But normally almost everyday, the price for such luxury, is the high cost of gas, insurance, and freeway traffic.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

We certainly can drive them year round, but i tend to do it less so during the 110 degree days in the shank of the summer. The sun comes in the front windshield and really heats up those steel dashboards to the point where the a/c gets a bit over powered.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. I don't have my oldest car running yet but have driven my 1986 c10 year round since 08. I tried to keep it out of the MD salt when possible. Now im in Florida so I'm excited about the no winter.

My brothers drive their 68 c20 and 71 c10 all year in MD

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. j3harleys

j3harleys

NO! But I did drive my new snow shovel in about a foot of snow this morning and got the wife to help me since there was no school today.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

No since there has been salt on the roads since the weak after I got back with the sunliner from Florida,they are in the garage until it warms up and no more salt on the roads.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Northern Illinois here, and no. There's snow, ice, and salt to deal with on the roads, and my rusty Dakota is much better suited to that. And we have plates that are half the regular price, but only valid April-October. My 37 is holed up for the winter in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Ted,I hope you castrated your dog when he was a pup because if you didn't I bet he froze his balls off in that snow. :D HRP

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Our weather here in AL is a lot like what Danny has in SC, but we probably get less snow in the winter. I drove the Lincoln last winter except when it was raining or snowing, no heat, no wipers yet. It gets to sit this winter in the shop though, awaiting the new[er] engine going in. AL has only started using brine and salt in some places in the last few years when we do get that rare snow, so my stuff stays parked when they do use it.

Speaking of snow, we're supposed to get 1"-3" tomorrow and tomorrow night. Then supposed to be above freezing by Sunday, so hopefully it will be gone before I have to leave out Sunday night.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

IMG_0511.JPG Hell yes..... at least in my mind

j3harleys, kiwijeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. i used to drive this year round. DSCF0676.JPG

Raiman1959, AVater, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  15. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Cars put away for the winter. Minus 12 degrees with a 30 mile/hr wind here this morning along with another 10 inches of fresh snow last night

16. I live on the other side of the island to kiwijeff , so no rain forest , and almost no snow , pretty good temperate climate actually , so yes , the truck is driven daily , which is just as well as I get stressed when I cannot do that.

kiwijeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Absolutely, but I just live right up the road from you.
    Buying my milk and bread for this weekend though. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Yea,we all will be eating milk & bread sandwiches for the next couple of weeks.:rolleyes: HRP

19. 41 C28

41 C28

Nothing like a nice cool ride thru the Christmas Lights display with the Grandkids. 055.JPG

20. <-- I drive this every day, but I also go to FL for the winter.
    I get a kick out of the Floridians around here. They won't come out if it gets below freezing.
    I can't blame them though, I don't like the snow and cold anymore either. :cool:

upspirate and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

HOTRODPRIMER and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. HUH! I wish!:(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

24. Like some of my southerly neighbors. Not a chance here in Anchorage. Only from May till October and those days are hit and miss. That is why I am moving out of here after 54 years and to my new home in Reno Nevada where american graffiti is live and well year round 365 days.
    Vic

HOTRODPRIMER and firstinsteele like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe gets parked along side of the driveway about mid November and will be there until about the end of March. I have heat & defrost, but there are so many air leaks, it gets chilly around 40 degrees. I'm a wimp, I don't like to drive when I'm cold.
    Parking it along side of the driveway also means there is a snow barrier between it and the driveway after the first snowfall that will be there until it melts away. The car is pretty helpless in the snow.

When my 50 Dodge 4x4 was still alive, it was driven all year around, it even had a snow plow on it that got used every snowfall. Gene

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. b-bob

b-bob

I was able to get out on Christmas day, but since then we have had snow off and on. Temp is like George says and just below zero, so not melting. It is supposed to warm up this weekend though and hoping for some nice dry days to get out. Check the date in the left bottom corner. 7.JPG

27. b-bob

b-bob

Should mention, that we are very close to the Pacific ocean here. Go about sixty miles east and it will be white damn near across the country, we are just fortunate here.

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to drive the 48 every day of the year no matter what the weather was as it was all I had to drive. I even change a clutch in below 0 weather one night by jacking the truck up, throwing tarps over it and sticking two 500 watt halogen lights under it with a couple of layers of cardboard to lay on. Had two outside cats help me swap the clutch as they thought it was quite toasty under the truck that night. Had a 7/8 mile driveway that never got plowed or shoveled out in those days.
    On a lot more current side note I saw a mid 50's something bopping down the street yesterday in 17 degree weather an a black 59 Chevy 4 door cruising up or down Valley Mall Blvd pass Costco today in 10 degree weather when I made a run to the parts house on my lunch break.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.