Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you a outcast in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Apr 7, 2013.

1. seatex

seatex

Amen, a lot to be said for having room to play. Neighbors are overrated! GOD BLESS TEXAS and acreage!

2. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

Damn, After reading some of these posts I feel soooo lucky. I live in Kentucky out in the country on a street a half mile long with 13 houses total on it, and that's on both sides of the road. Two of the houses have older cars, one a 50 Ford pickup, a 64 Cuda and the other house a 700hp 55 Belair. I do motorcycle repair on the side so I'm constantly testing my work out, no one has ever said a bad word to me.

3. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

When we where 16 or so, me, my bro and BIL would rev and tune our cars in the drive, zip 'em up and down the street and generally piss off the neighbours. A few times one would come over and tell us off. I'm now 50 and am sad to say: I NEVER see kids doing that shit anymore. If I did, I'd invite them over to check out my cars and maybe I'd even help them out in my shop.

4. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

When I moved into my current house last summer and had to mow the lawn for the first time, I wore the shortest Levi cut-off shirts you could ever imagine, super-tight fishnet shirt and gladiator sandals. Needless to say, it's been very peaceful since then with no unwanted visitors.

5. Nothing a set of open headers can't fix!!

6. Styleliner

Styleliner

Haha.... You obviously don't live in Frisco.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, he's got a lawn to mow. (Nobody here, or from here, calls it Frisco.)

8. You are correct. My wife was raised in Cabrini Green. I never worry about who's got my back.

Cosmo

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Buy a pair of "cherry bombs",... Just don't unleash that sound all at once.......get 'em used to their new neighbor gradually........

4TTRUK

10. Fenders

Fenders

Funniest sig I've seen this month !!!!

:D:D

11. It should be.... Are you "AN" outcast in your neighborhood?.......No wonder no one likes you.

12. VonWegener

VonWegener

Yes, I am an outcast in my neighborhood

13. gonmad

gonmad

That's hilarious Dan!!
    My next door neighbor had a bunch of guys come over from Illinois Thursday night to have a cookout. Lets see, 37ish Buick coupe, 41 Plymouth pickup, 41ish Stude coupe, 48ish GMC pickup and something else I don't remember all sitting in the driveway.
    No, I'm not the "only" nut!! LOL!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. I must admit that I am disappointed with many of the responses to this post. I am a strong believer in freedom but I don’t feel freedom of speech means I can go into a crowded theatre and shout fire. In a similar manner I don’t think the freedom to do what I want on my property means that I can disturb neighbors with loud noise late at night or have so much junk in my driveway that it depreciates the value of every house in the neighborhood. A person’s house in most cases is the single most valuable asset they own. If you want to make a mess you should have bought a house with a garage and driveway not visible from the street, I did.

Charlie Stephens

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Adulthood is not chronological, but developmental.

16. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Dead on, good post.

17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Yep,It is all about respect.
    Treat others the way you want to be treated

18. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Most of the people in my neighborhood are around my age, in fact 3 of us are the same age. I'm known as the go to guy but I'm sure there are some who wonder about the open hoods, air tools and drop lights they see at all hours. I did have one neighbor call the cops once, We were ripping some stock in the driveway for a job the next morning. I guess the table saw was a bit too much for her even though we only ran it for about 10 minutes. The cops just asked me if I was done for the night and of course I was!

I have worked on nearly every house and car on the street at one time or another and fixed my share of mowers, blowers and loaned some tools. One neighbors husband heard something one night and when he mentioned it to his wife, she said it's probably just Tommy out in his driveway. (It was). She said they felt a little thankful that someone was up and about at all hours because it made the neighborhood safer.

So, all in all, while I'm still the one in the neighborhood that has folks wondering what I'm going to be up to next, It certainly doesn't hurt to have the drug dealing boarding house next door. It gives the local police something to do and it makes me look normal.

19. ems customer service

ems customer service

remember a lot of folks are car stupid and have to their 4 door sedans to the service garage for everything, they are jealous that you can do it yourself! and they perceive that the collector cars are a rich mans hobby and they get jealous again. and then you have something intresting to do in your life! i find that if the guy next door has a strong intrest in something golf, fishing, boats we are not bothered and our hobby is ok with them,

it is the folks who are holding on to there house note by a thread, loans out the wazoo on 2 jap-luxo cars that cause problems and they cant stand someone who has a different view of fun.

the ems guy
    --------------

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Tell that to the Hells Angels. Heard of Frisco Choppers?

Didn't think so.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tiny minority. Otherwise, it is how we identify those who have never been here, or don't understand the culture here. Frisco choppers is one small business, and there ain't too many HA left here (that actually live inside the city). Too expensive.

Oh, and I am in the Cow Hollow neighborhood, of San Franciso, and have lived in NOPA, the Mission, and the Upper Haight, how about you?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should see it now. Damn shame. Probably going to get kicked out soon, as I don't meet the "income requirements". The 1BR apartment above mine just rented for $3500/mo.

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Being the established guy in the 'hood goes a long way.... as soon as a newbie arrives,..drive up in your loud mobile with a 6 pack.....

4TTRUK

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that is the problem, now that rents are 50-60% more than I make, before taxes.

25. By that same virtue, I shouldn't be limited in what I do on my own property because other people don't know what the hell they're looking at and it's ugly to their eyes. I don't go tell them their wife is an ugly eyesore they should get rid of -

I've never been able to figure out why depreciating the value of homes in the neighborhood is a big deal. Your assessment comes down, your taxes come down, you save money.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resale value, when you flip it.

27. Just be yourself. Treat the rest of the hood the way you want to be treated. AND... Worry more about if you like THEM than if they like you!

28. sauerflash

sauerflash
    from Erie, Co

This a good thread... Im about to piss my nieghbors off with my new planishing hammer tommorow.... I just try to keep a low profile all other times.... The nieghbors do stop by and check on my projects from time to time.... They have never heard a planishing hammer though!!!!!!!!!!

29. I am not talking about a nice street rod parked in the driveway. I am talking about an old car up on jack stands for months at a time while the suspension is being rebuilt. Most of the people would consider it to be an eye sore as would a good percentage of the old car people. If someones ugly wife were nude sunbathing on the front grass you might have a real gripe. As far as depreciation goes I consider my house like money in the bank. If one bank paid 6% interest and the other charged it I am not telling you where I would put my money. As far as the assessment coming down if the property value goes down that doesn't happen very often without a fight.

Charlie Stephens

30. 55willys

55willys

My friend fastrnu got tired of all the renters around his just paid for house complaining so he made the statement to them that is pictured below:D

Attached Files: