Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Are you a member of a car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 30, 2020.

1. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Coupe Inc. (1957-2021)... 125177323_2796633233994273_1381661833413878593_n.jpg

2. Our Tri-City Rod & Custom car club never had a plaque until a couple of years ago, I got in touch with Dennis O'Brien and he worked with me to make our artwork good enough to make copies and I convinced most of the members to purchase one, I bought 5 myself to help get the best price.

After we got them I sold 3 of my extras and since having them made we have ordered more. HRP

3. I never thought I would join a car club considering all the politics, etc. I have been approached by several over the years even as recent as yesterday as I was searching for some Corvair parts. :rolleyes: However, about 10 years ago, a group of guys that met here in the HAMB Chapel social group formed the Crossmembers. I guess I am a founding member of that club. It is different than most car clubs and has a clear mission.

CB389871-601F-465F-B785-2E1966D80AF5.jpeg

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To all you "Lone Wolfs" and "No Clubbers" out there I say; Get off your fucking asses (and attitudes), and do something good for your community...join a club

A Car Club can do GOOD things!

Over the last 20 years, the Triple Cities Street Rods annual "Cars In The Park" Car Show has allowed us to donate over $150,000 to (local only) charities, fire dept.s and food banks. Our Pasta Dinner/Cruise-in generates an additional $1,500 for a local Food Bank...and every Thanksgiving the Club donates 100 turkeys to that Food Bank.

Triple Cities Street Rods | Rome, PA 18837

Sure there maybe a little "drama" dealing with 40+ members, but in the long run, we all have these thing in common...Hot Rods...and make our community a better place.

JOIN A CLUB!!! AND YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^My hat is off to your club!!

Lynn

6. jim snow

jim snow

X2. Snowman

Sandgroper, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

I could of joined the #@%¥©¶ club of Southeast Michigan... I just didn't want to deal with it....:rolleyes::(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I am a honorary member of a long defunct club that tries to get together once a year, they started out in high school in the late 50's and the surviving members are scattered throughout the country. HRP

[​IMG]

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Car clubs...Helped start a few, joined a couple (in the '60s) but I, a mechanic by trade, found myself 'drafted' by fellow members to fix their cars, figure out solutions to obscure problems, and as @Mr48chev pointed out?
    Drama... Oh, big drama. These guys were like...'posers' from the drive-in we used to cruise, suddenly there's this bunch ('group of individuals') that are there...and they have infused themselves into this 'hot rod club'.
    I was 'locked in'. But not for long.
    My blown hemi-powered '46 Club Coupe lit the tires in 2nd, (for the biggest smoke ) and I fled the scene...
    And THAT was the SECOND club!
    Now I'm a member of the 'PHAROAHS', purposely misspelled for 'copyright' reasons...I drag the plaque 'cuz the straight folks like it... "Pharoahs...You guys were really a teen gang around here in Modesto in the '50s..."
    Yeah. George Lucas was from here, and the 'FAROS' was a car club (jacket gang!) that he recalled, in Modesto high.
    So much for the history lesson.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've been a member of 3 different car clubs over the years, but am not a current member of any club. Two of the three have been dissolved, but the 3rd one is still going. I joined the 3rd club primarily to help it set up a show and get it off the ground. That club holds its monthly meetings over 50 miles from my house, and since its inception has raised the dues and drifted from the original concept. I do still attend their show when ever the date doesn't conflict with higher priorities in my life. Their show donates a lot of money to charities local to them.

I've been invited to join a few car clubs in recent years, but I just can't make the time and participation commitment that I feel should be a requirement of being in a club. Having been actively involved in those 3 car clubs, the last thing I want to be is a card caring member that most of the other members don't even know because I'm never around.

I guess I feel I've done my 40 years of full scale activity in car clubs, its someone else's turn. Gene

chryslerfan55, Sandgroper and Deuces like this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Get off of our fucking asses and attitude?
    Who are you to say anything? You have no idea what we already do in our communities and for your attitude to tell anyone what we should do, you can shove it up your fucking ass.
    It's assholes like you and your holier than thou attitude that make people not want to join a club.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    verno30, X38, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  12. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I have been a member of Gate City corvette club in NH for 38 years and going strong! DSC00986.jpg

13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Yes. Two different clubs at different times. Not anymore. As stated in other posts, "politics".

Deuces likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Lone Wolf, no club.

Was in one a few years back, was fun until money got involved. Some members got blamed for a shortage and for only supporting a charity that they just happened to work for, things got ugly fast. Club disbanded, everyone went their separate ways, some with hard feelings. Still friends with some of them, see them now and then.

Another club I go to their cruise in's and shows and generally support them. I've even volunteered a few times and helped the set up the ropes and sound system and take it back down when they were short of present members to do it. They are a membership by invitation only club, a member has to recommend you for membership, then be voted on. Even though I'm friends with several of them, I've never been asked to join them. Just as well, they do things sometimes through the week and I work so I couldn't be there anyway. They're a friendly bunch of older folks, I enjoy their company, well the ones I know that is. Don't know if I have ever been nominated for membership or not, doesn't really matter. If I was a member, I couldn't win any door prizes, LoL!

No clubs in my immediate area, both of those are 30 miles from me.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Woh!....:confused:......................:eek:

Sandgroper and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well there "Happy Dave"...I guess trying to guilt folks into joining a well organized, not-for-profit Car Club for the benefit of their community seems to bring out the BEST in you.
    ...and you're right, not EVERYONE should join a club. We've had our share of "Happy Daves" come and go over the years...and sometimes a club is much better off and more productive without certain types.

Happy New Year

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I was going to ignore you and your attitude. It's clowns like you with your holier than thou attitude that keep people from joing clubs.
    I'm truly glad that I don't know you and your holier than tho attitude. I would never hang out with your kind.
    Who are you to talk down to anyone who doesn't belong to a club.
    Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  18. I talked to the guys at the local car club here. From what i learned it's like i had to work for them. They told me what car show we would be attending and what time i was to be where. Didn't seem like anything i wanted to do. I go where i wanna go.

19. squirrel

squirrel

same with our local club...and I'm the president next year....but the club is probably not going to do so much of that money stuff in the future. I'm one of the youngest members, and I turn 60 next year. The members are getting old, and we can't do what we use'ta could do.

I have no gripe with folks who don't want to be part of a club, or folks who do. Different strokes for different folks.

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys

Yeah, we're in the same boat. We are getting older and just not getting many (any) younger members:(

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  21. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I wouldnt join a club that would have me.:p

Sandgroper and Deuces like this.
  22. lilbilly666

lilbilly666
    from Atlanta

Nope. Hung around a local group for a while, but got tired of “not being one of the cool kids that could join.” The idea of a group of folks that hang out and actually work on each other’s vehicles sounds great.

23. clem

clem

I thought that the HAMB was a club....................?:D

have been a member of a local club in the past, started by my brothers and their friends a long time ago, but my personal life took a different direction and whilst always welcome back to the same club, and still friends with them, I never felt that I was able to fully commit my time to a club.
    I still go to some of their events and they always make me welcome.

24. One of the charter members of the CamJammers from Vernon, BC., established in 1956. I left Vernon in 1962, and my career kept me from going back. I have not been a member of any club since I left, but am still in regular contact with members of the old club. The club has combined with two other clubs from the area, and are still active at putting on a big show and shine, as well as other activities.
    There are four original members that are still actively involved in building and maintaining hot rods.
    Bob

Camjammers_1962_crop.gif

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should have gone with this plan

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My favorite club USMC , life member .

27. aircap

aircap

Sure - Studebaker Drivers Club, Inc. & Kaw Valley Chapter SDC. Since 1998.

dana barlow, Deuces and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

In general, there are a few reasons for the death of a local club or local chapter of a national club
    1. The same few people end up doing all the hard work
    2. The members just age out (health, mobility and death) - See #1 above
    3. Politics
    4. Big egos

verno30, X38, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Wrong club

Sandgroper, Deuces and hotrodjack33 like this.
  30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree

chryslerfan55, Deuces and nochop like this.