Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are Whitewall radials disappearing from tire stores?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novadude, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Hondo78

Hondo78

Jimmyv-
    Do you have a picture of this grinding machine to make whitewalls wider? I saw a cutting tool in 1969 in the back of a used car lot in use, making all the white wall widths match.
    I would like to buy one.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Without reading all the replies here I know I will be in the very small minority.

I'm going to answer the question with an "I hope so".

Why ?, Even though I am of the right age to like whitewalls I never did. They were popular and I remember thinking they were tacky then and still do now. No matter how wide or narrow they are.

As are white letters.

Give me plain blackwalls any day. :)

3. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

So your not going to be happy until every old WW tire question is brought back to the top so you can peddle that website. Do you get paid by the post?

4. VonWegener

VonWegener

You can buy Cornell thin whitewalls in a 75% aspect ratio from PepBoys. They are inexpensive too. Under 50 bucks. All my cars wear them proudly. And they do not come apart. Had a set up to 109 Mph (GPS readout) and they held up fine:)

5. Spammer^^^^^^^^^^^^

I reported the spammer, just look at his short post history.

6. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Yeah I did too. Sent a pm to Supreme Leader, Cobra Commander Ryan.

7. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I hate skinny whitewalls anyway ... Local tire shops don't carry tires with whitewalls in 2.5"+, so it's blackwalls for me until I can pony up for Cokers.

8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

When I was living in Nashville I couldn't find whitewalls any were. Wacky

9. Nomadness

Nomadness

I have been looking for 14 inch WW tires and within the last year the supply has dwindled. Not many choices left. Bought some from Sears about a 1 1/2 years ago and they had several brands in stock. Now the selection there is smaller and nothing in stock.

10. Nomadness

Nomadness

The biggest problem I seem to have is finding a tire shop that won't fuck something up. I have a new set of 14 inch Supremes, hopefully they won't get damaged when I find some tires.

11. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Hell Rich it got squirmy on Sam and I on the way up to the party on sat....

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Called Pep Boys, they no longer have any 13" whitewalls in any size.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This past summer, I bought a set of Goodyear radials (3/4" whitewall) at Walmart for $60 a tire. They're on stock wheels with stock wheelcovers on my Nomad right now. Now just need a set of Supremes to go with 'em.

14. babylonflyer

babylonflyer

Cool i heard they give deal at the POM swap meet?? any truth ??

15. I work at a tire and service shop, and I can tell you that NO ONE wants WW anymore. No one even wants white letters anymore. I love them, and think they look great on a lot of stuff, but I/we are in the minority. I work at a small independent shop too, not a big chain place. When there is no demand, there will soon be no supply. That's how it works.

16. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I bought a set of whitewalls a few years ago for my ole truck and had them put the whitewalls to the inside. Now I feel like turning them out. Funny how things work.

17. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

My only beef with buying tires from wallyworld is that some of the guys there don't know crap about installing tires. Bought a set of 31s for other ot truck and they killed my rims trying to get them on and balanced. I should of bought them there and took them elsewhere to have them installed. Atleast to somebody who knew what they were doing. I found some whitewalls there the last time I was there. Don't know size or brand but they're here and there. You just got to dig.