Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are V8s often "interference" motors ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Timberlake, Aug 7, 2012.

1. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Naaahhhh . . . One for the heater and one for each wheel, thats easy :)

2. pitman

pitman

Sa-aaab-a-Babaaab-a-Babaaab as it goes down the road. :p

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Paverguy -

You are "partially" correct.
    The stock passenger car Stude engine was a fiber cam with a steel crank gear.
    The "R" series Avanti engines had aluminum cam gears with steel crank gears.
    The trucks had aluminum cam gears and steel crank gears.

I'm having adjustable cam gears made up for the Stude V-8 engine that are both steel, cam and crank.

I believe most American made V-8s (anyway), at least thru the late 80's were interference engines. I'd say that with the combustion chamber shapes of the factory high performance engines of today dictate that they are also crash engines.

Mike

4. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

hahahahahahahahahahaa:D

5. HamD

HamD

Not without a stout cam, they're not.

6. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

NO DISRESPECT to the O/P, but,
    Oh My God!!! Dont know how to put "that" smiley in my post but thats funny as fuck!!!

7. paverguy

paverguy

Well , I did say that Stude V8s had a Fiber gear .
    Yes , the crank gears are steel.
    Some Studes , ie HD- option trucks , taxis etc had Aluminum timing
    gears beginning in 1961 , and this was used in the Jet Thrust R series engines.
    There was a 6 cyl Aluminum gear available also.
    Most , and that is a high most , had the fiber gear.
    The discussion was about interference , and I cited an example that I personally
    experienced on a V8 that had been somewhat abused by being operated as a V4 for
    many miles.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Little known factoid: A flathead Ford will blow the vacuum wipers through one cycle as it rolls silently to a stop when teeth let go. This is puzzling in the extreme when you have no idea what is going on...
    Otherwise...nothing happening beyond the departed teeth!
    Silly idea putting the valves and all that extra junk up top where they will be damaged!

9. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

As best I can recall, as I strain to travel through time and space there's a strong physical resemblance here, except aunt Joanne wore a lot more spangly jewelry, and had fewer tattoos.
    http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumb...,tatoo-6e3c305142dab963daad2791c889c0ea_h.jpg

Perhaps some might say a little broad through the withers, She made an impression on her 19 year old nephew (me) . She was a smart, kind, sassy lady, so her hotness was ( and probably still is ) more than skin deep.

She brought her nearly new consistently rough running but not clackety Mustang to our house for me to look at. It was much (years?) later that the younger brother ratted out the older brother's down shift stunt. I never heard what the repair included, but still presume he had succeeding in floating the (302's ?) valves badly, and probably a few got bent. A completely pumped up hydraulic lifter could only hold the valve about 1/16 or maybe 90 thou' further open, so either the cam tossed the valve sky high beyond max lift for the piston to tennis serve at TDC , or the running V-to-P clearance is on the order of 1/8 inch.
    They look pretty close here, even knowing the stock piston has notches.
    http://www.wrljet.com/fordv8/images/289-cutaway.gif

FWIW, this Buick, too.
    http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/buick-nailhead-cutaway.jpg

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In my busy shop days, I had customers that had 'second' cars, besides their Porsches, Mercedes, and BMWs.
    A few times I was asked to 'just take a look' at various cars that other shops had fixed.
    A couple had plastic timing gears that had failed, and the shop they took it to just replaced the sprocket...one had to pull the heads, and replace bent valves.
    Both of these previous repairs came to me later, as I agreed to see why the loud knock a week later...one siezed up.
    Pulled the pan, all those little pieces of plastic teeth were ground up like Grape=Nuts, and sucked up into the oil pump pickup screen...
    Spun 2 con rod brgs., one broke a rod in two, right thru the cylinder wall.

Technically, these became 'interference engines': They interferred with my normal mode of business, and the con rod interferred with the cylinder wall.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I do know if you push any engine too hard,sooner or later, it will interfear with your wallets abilty to hold cash

12. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

Dude we gotta see your aunt

13. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I have a BBC where the spark plug will interfere with the piston if it is not indexed with ground strap on top. Does that count?

Try going to an O'Reillys and asking the counter kid for indexing washers.

14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, paverguy;

Get the v4 Stude from Dick Datson, or someone who subscribed to his newsletters?
    Dick was in Bradington (sp?) Fl area, for a long while.

Was a decent concept, & he got a *lot* further than most others did, using a whole lot less $$$, but more ingenuity & thought. That v4 spawned a lot of ideas, that led to some rather interesting conceptual discussions, not to mention experiments... :D .

Marcus...

15. paverguy

paverguy

The idea of the V4 was Dick's, with my help. I had done some research along the idea, and had even found an old article showing a part time Cadillac V8/4 that was controlled with a ball valve and cable.
    The car was mine , and I still have the pieces necessary to do it. It wasn't perfect , but this was during the 70's fuel crisis days , and it was fun. The car was an automatic Lark
    and 0-30 mph was pretty slow , but above that was good. In today's world a modern trans would go a long way . I used to go around looking for Peugeot diesels to drag against at the streetlight.
    I later put a 4:11 rear in the car , and it improved a lot at the low end.
    At cruise speeds , it was fine , and on one 250 mile trip with 4 people on board , I recorded about 31 mpg.
    I removed the factory fan as only 4 cyls were making heat and got that precious 5 hp or so back.

16. pila38

pila38

You're right, your aunt is pretty hot!

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Dude,
    You're asking the phone receptionist technical questions and you're calling HER crazy?

18. Zerk

Zerk

B21, B23............Noninterference
    B230..................Some books say interference, but not in my experience.

My '76 245 was a killer workhorse and daily driver. I'm guessing it went to over 300K miles before a rod went through the block.