Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are those tail lights in your hubcaps or are you just confused to see me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Okay, so you guys are all gonna think I just set around my shop, smokin' rope... and it's probably a long shot that will leave you all looking at me like I've got lobsters crawling out of my ears. But, here goes.

A while back, I glanced over something in an issue of Hot Rod from late 50's - early 60's. It was a tech write-up about taking the center out of a certain style of hubcap and replacing it with the tail light from, and don't quote me on this, a Fairlane or a Mercury something or other... maybe.

Anyway, I just spent two days (waiting around for parts to show up) looking for that particular piece and can't find it. Hell, maybe I'm not remembering right and this whole thing is just a left over from some dream I had after eating an entire meatball sub and going straight to bed.

Aside from me thinking that I've finally lost my grip, the weird thing is, I don't remember any images that went with the article.

So, I'm asking if anybody else has had this fever dream, or was this an actual modification hot rodders were doing back then?

Either way, lets see some hubcaps. Bonus points for caps with tail lights in them.

Okay, well the nurse is here to wheel me off to another round of shock-therapy. Maybe if you're all lucky they'll just go ahead and lobotomize me this time. :confused:o_O

As always, thanks for indulging my psychosis.

Lepus, hotrodjack33, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the lobotomy what makes the lobsters come out of your ears? Or is that a lobstotomy?

dan31, ccain and Hnstray like this.
  3. .........Man, that must be some really good stuff you're smoking!:D;)..........Did the tail-lights light up?:eek:

catdad49, MO54Frank and ccain like this.
  4. Nah, they were just kind of a garnish. Maybe to replace the factory badged center of the cap or something? I dunno, my spiral into dementia, albeit a fun ride, is gonna be a hoot for you guys to watch. :D

lothiandon1940, catdad49 and mrfliboy like this.

5. Meh... lobstotmy, lobstectomy... TOE-MAY-to, tuh-MAH-to, either way, these lobster gotta go. :D

Will somebody please tell me I'm not the kind of insane that involves bat quano or latrine rodents? o_O:confused:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have always wanted to mount the 59 Caddy tail light lens in the center of my 57 Caddy hubcaps. I might try it today as I have gathered every thing I need.

Stogy, hotrodjack33 and ccain like this.
  7. POINTS!!! Make sure to share the pics! :cool:

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The story of my life...in my mind I know exactly the last place I saw that part...but it's not there anymore...did I move it...or get rid of it ? I can't seem to remember :mad::eek:
    Funny you brought this up. I'm going to run '49 Ford caps & rings on my '36 (avatar). I am considering drilling out the "tit" and installing blue-dots (green ones tho). Think it might look cool...and if I put a silver backing on them, they'll look like jewels:D

9. catdad49

catdad49

Was that a meatball sub with just marinara or with cheese? I'll try to duplicate your experience. Warning, my results may vary!?

10. Why not just use Shannon Cones? HRP

download.jpeg

ccain likes this.
  11. Sounds bitchin'! I'd like to see 'em when you get 'em done. ;)

Oh man, loaded down with extra sauce and provolone is the ONLY WAY to go! Don't even get me started on my Philly cheesesteak night terrors. :D:D:D

catdad49, hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

Love Joe E. Lewis, just read his autobiography again!

ccain likes this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

smoking rope? ....

warhorseracing and ccain like this.
  14. I have made gear shift knobs and steering wheel horn buttons out of grease cap type hub covers. :rolleyes:
    But you've got me thinkin'. I can just about visualize a light-up taillight as a wingnut for an air cleaner lid.
    "Hey, Buddy. Com'ere and let me pop the hood and show you my engine." :p

Stogy and ccain like this.
  15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

16. Yeah, you know, the stuff you used to have to buy from some guy, out of the trunk of his Chevelle, behind the 7-11. The same stuff you can now have delivered to your door quicker than pizza... at least here in Cali. :p

Stogy likes this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. 31 5w

31 5w

Remember , I would sooner have a bottle on front of me than a frontal lobotomy! By the way, I had brain surgery 33 yrs. ago so can make brain jokes w/o being unkind.

ccain likes this.
  19. TCTND

TCTND

Wiring them up might be a bit of a challenge.

ccain likes this.
  20. GERM- This man need's your assistance! STAT!

pitman, lothiandon1940 and ccain like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am thinking he takes long walks in the woods and sample one or few ‘rooms or berries that are not edible.:oops:

catdad49 and ccain like this.
  22. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

Didn’t golden sahara have then??

ccain and Stogy like this.
  23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was this what you saw in the mystery publication ? Its a baby moon hubcap with a center from a Mercury Colony Park station wagon. YMMV
    baby moon hubcap with mercury montclair center.JPG
    Oh waiter, I will have another "Hemp-Tail " or should I say " HAMB-Tail " when you have time!
    smokers private tower.jpg arm out the window.JPG

lothiandon1940, ccain and Stogy like this.
  24. 5window

5window

I spent a VERY long time looking for a '31 window garnish molding that turned up in the middle of my youngest daughter's Smurf collection.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    ccain and Stogy like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of options for this setup and a self contained removable unit could be fabbed up with a possible source of power that generates based on wheel rotation only or possibly battery combined with low voltage lighting.

Obviously this I suspect isn't a new phenomenon and I believe you truly did see press on it and rope may have helped with the appreciation...:D...and as eluded even unlit the look could be interesting...

41 GMC K-18 and ccain like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

Might be able to find some kind of solar light.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Can you imagine the rings of copper and the brushes that setup on Golden Sahara must have? Holy cow!

28. spanners

spanners

Is that the light at the end of the tunnel or the bright light on the other side you should stay away from?