Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are these ladder bars to short?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baspinall, Sep 20, 2013.

1. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Ok I am getting ready to install my ladder bars and it seems they are to short for my application unless I am missing something. Which is very possible, this being my first build. My bars are 45 inches from bushing center to axle center. The frame is a Riley's frame. When I mock them up I have to unscrew the clevis really far to get the axle brackets to reach the axle. In the pics they are spaced about 23-24 inches apart on the axle. If I screw "in" the clevis's where I think they should be the axle brackets have to be almost to the pumpkin to reach the axle.

Attached Files:

2. classic gary

classic gary

i'm gonna say yes the ladder bars are too short, so, remake the brackets at the housing. Is the wheelbase correct? Is the rear wheel in the center of the fender panel? Lots to check before you throw in the towel.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I would want them out farther. Did you ask whose ladder bars are supposed to fit their frame?

4. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

The bars that are specked for this frame are P & J bars that are 46". Only an inch longer but .....
    Also, according the frame supplier I am supposed to have a measurement of 7.5 inches from spring center to axles center which I do.

5. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

The wheel base should be correct.

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Like a girl once told me "an inch makes all the difference in the world". There was happiness in her voice, not disappointment.

7. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Pretty much what I was thinking.

8. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

P & J ladder bars come in different lengths. My suggestion is call P & J and aske them what the lengths of the rods are and compare with your measurement to get one closer. Since you havent painted them you might be able to exchange or have the person you bought them from exchange them for a more correct length unit. Tape measure issue somewhere....

9. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Yeah, anyone want to buy some ladder bars :D