Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are these heads fixable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Todd, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Big Todd

Big Todd
    from Ferrum Va.

I picked up these sharp heads the other day, one is perfect the other is missing some fins, looks they were ground off for some reason. Anybody have any ideas on fixing them, who could do it, are they worth spending the money on?

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure they were ground off in order to install stock filter without having to use a riser...why not chrome a stock filter and pop it on there?

3. agreed with bruce
    tk

4. Could have been for a side generetor bracket also!!!

5. SHARP block lettered heads are some of the best. Put the filter on and run'em.

6. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

damn..... nice score!

7. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I second that!

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have a set of block letter Sharps like those. My buddy was able to build up the broken fins. They welded very nicely. They were better quality than the Eddie Meyer's that he could not weld successfully. Then I used a die grinder to reshape the weld. You can't tell by looking at them that they were ever damaged. My fins were broken and not ground down as far as those so it was easier to build them back up. It can be done. Build it up higher and wider than what you need and then grind it down to what it once was. The nice thing is that the fins are flat on top which makes it easier to duplicate than a rounded fin.

9. Big Todd

Big Todd
    from Ferrum Va.

Yeah, with a stock filter or side mount generator you wouldnt really notice! Just did'nt want them to go to waste!!:D When I get a chance I'll post some pics of the 2 Edelbrock 2x4 intakes, 2 Offy intakes (a 2x2 and a 2x3) and a set of Weiand heads I got in the same haul!!!:eek:

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Here is mine. I can't remember which fins were fixed on this side but both sides needed work.

[​IMG]
    He also welded the coolant erosion on the gasket side and I had them surfaced. It only took a few thou to get it flat and smooth.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  11. Big Todd

Big Todd
    from Ferrum Va.

Thanks for the pictures Tommy, those look great makes me want to take the time to fix mine!!