Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any magazines left for people like us?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpu28, Nov 20, 2013.

1. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Hot Rod, Popular Street Rodding, Classic Truck, Car Craft, etc. take me about 10 minutes to read. Rod & Custom and Hot Rod Deluxe occasionally have interesting articles, but I'm just not interested in rod shows, readers' cars, really ratty rat rods, $250k rods, or advertisements. I like to see people building traditional cars.

Are there any magazines that focus on tech articles and traditional hot rods?

2. PackardV8

PackardV8

If one believes the magazine editors, the only ones building trad rods are old guys with enough money to pay someone else to do it for them.

I've been reading Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc, since 1961 and it's only recently there's been the shift to professional shop-built checkbook rods. Since the publishers/editors are in the business of selling as many magazines as they can, they're pitching to the subscribers as best they can define them.

I spoke with an editor of Popular Hot Rodding when their dyno-racing Engine Master's Challenge became the BIG THING. He said, "There's no drag strips left in SoCal and in many other parts of the country. Without a place to race, building horsepower is just for braggin' rights."

Hot Rod went nostalga/transformer/rat rod, "Look at who's at the rod shows now - most of the guys are over 60."
    They're trying to keep in step with the Twatter generation. "Young guys have the attention span and vocabulary of a gnat. They won't read long technical articles. Lot's of photos and a few catchy captions are all they can handle. We don't know if we can attract and keep them but we've got to try. Old guys are already habituated, so most will keep subscribing regardless."

It is the way it is because that's the way it is.

jack vines, who's over 60 and still building.

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

"Rodder's Journal" and "Traditional Rod and Kustom Illustrated", and "Hot Rod Deluxe" are my three go-to's.

I'm just a 29 year old kid, but there is plenty of material for me to find out there, its just not on your local grocery-store magazine rack...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

As far as the most redill available I would have to agree!

5. artful dodger

artful dodger

don't get me started….
    it seems that all the mags are pushing some product
    and lack the "sprit" of hot rodding, that is
    IMO that you don't "buy" your car
    you build your car
    ok a little off topic, I feel better now..
    one of my new faves comes from Australia
    its called FUEL magazine
    its pricey but worth it..

6. is "Rolls and Pleats" still avalable? Also some of the other new little books like Kustoms Illlustrated and its hot rod version I can not remember the title of. TRJ is only OK if you like 1932 fords that cost $$$$$$$ and nice pics (but I still get it). I recently looked through my back issues (over 50) of TRJ and could only find three or four cars I really could use as infulence on my car which is a fat fendered GM product (not one of thoes till the most recent issue with the buick).

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thats it maybe the H.A.M.B. should start its own magazine and then we could wright are own articles.

8. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Great idea!
    I'm sure magazine has been through Ryan's HAMB brainstorming before. The only magazine I'd find worthwhile, but since the tjjapp, I've got a lifetme of reading right here in the palm of my hand.

9. I don't buy any magazines,,I get my fix here! HRP

10. CA. 280

CA. 280

I stopped my subscriptions long ago. All the "how to" articles you could possibly want or show coverage are here or on You tube. Free.

11. American Rifleman is good.

12. Kerry67

Kerry67

I know people bag on them but I like ol' skool rodz, CKD because I like the show reviews, club features etc.....Do I like everything in them ? No of course not....I also like Rodders Journal and Rod & Kulture.

13. Somebody

Somebody

The HAMB IS the magazine for people like us. It's just in a different form now.

14. DrJ

DrJ

The only one I still subscribe to is the first one I ever subscribed to back in '61, R&C.

15. slammed

slammed

To repeat what Pat 'Too Tall' Gahnal once said: 'Never underestimate the stupidity of your readers'. That said look at what contents are predominate in the mass media machine today. Kinda like dumpster diving, yes?

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

-Not This Shit Again!?
    x2!!

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Fooey. No point in whining about the present. Go buy some '50's or '60's R&C or HRM or Car Craft... you'll never worry about the awful stuff on the newsstand again.

18. A Boner

A Boner

If you can read Hot Rod magazine in ten minutes, you must have tunnel vision.

19. As always Bruce's few words speaks volumes! HRP

20. anteek49

anteek49

i let my subscriptions run out. The only magazines I buy are pre'70's that I din't have. when I want to read I grab one out of the box of old ones by the crapper.

21. r.l.r

r.l.r

Playboy, Penthouse, and Popular Mechanics....... :)

22. Model T1

Model T1

Even those are not factory original or traditional anymore.:eek:

23. r.l.r

r.l.r

I don't mind the non traditional airbags in those though..:D

24. "BULLY"! I will contribute! I can handle a pen....I mean typwritter...I mean...shit....you know what I mean.... wright???

Attached Files:

25. aaggie

aaggie

I'm 70 years old and fondly remember the magazines from the '50s and '60s. I still have a few tech articles on how to build a seat for your Bonneville car out of a shopping cart and how to upgrade Flathead distributors. Things we all learned how to do before you could just whip out the debit card and buy aftermarket stuff.

As far as new magazines I get the Good Guys Gazette and it assumes it's rightly position near the toilet along with American Rifleman.

26. 327Eric

327Eric

Old Copies of the original Hot Rod and Car Craft, among others are available on Ebay, swap meets, garage sales, etc, and if you haven;t read them in depth are great reads, and the letters to the editor are a wealth of knowledge. They are not new, but available.

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

28. You can let them run out?..just kidding.
    It gets so irritating to keep getting the reminders to re-subscribe. Last chance, last chance, last chance, last chance, really last chance.
    Or, how about you take "the deal" and buy two years at a time, then they start sending out the re-subsription notices in a year.."or your subscription will run out", thinking you forgot, so you end up sending in again.
    Or, you finally miraculously no longer get the mag, only for them to come back after a few years, to start the whole hounding process over again.
    There is a reason the HAMB is such a popular place.

29. 327Eric

327Eric

Especially the H.A.M.B. friendly issues, or should I say Era correct