Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any good wiring books out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, May 6, 2010.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I've been looking for a long time for one at my local book stores, and only found one called "Wiring Your Hot Rod" or something to that effect. At first I thought it was going to be pretty good, but it's just one BIG advertisement for Painless Wiring systems. It wastes time explaining "What is electricity?" WTH? Anyway, back to Borders it goes. I need a good resource that covers basic wiring for an SBC and is good for a first timer with some common sense. Websites are welcome, too...just looking to get through this daunting phase of my build :p

2. I looked a long time to and found the holy grail of auto wiring books. It's titled "How to do electrical systems; Most everything about Auto Electrics. I picked it up at the library and copied the whole book so I have it to reference. I wired my entire 29 Roadster, turn sigs. flashers, head and tail lites, gauges, fuel pump, everything, and it all works like it should. The book is by Skip Readio. Good stuff!! If you can't find it PM me and I'll copy mine and send it to you.

3. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Depending on what you are building, this could be all you need.

The book is "Wiring systems" by Don Francisco Published in the early 60s by Spotlite Books. You might be able to find it on Ebay. Everything that is needed for an early hotrod is there. This is what I learned on. Lots of basic information that still applies today. This was the way it was long before the wiring "kits" became so popular. If you do decide to wire it yourself instead of adding somebody's kit you will know where to look if a problem does pop up. It's really pretty easy on a basic hotrod style car.

Don't let the generator scare you. If you want an alternator just substitute the alternator wiring for the generator wiring. You can see how he broke it up into systems. One system at a time.

5. Fallen1

Fallen1

I have "Automotive Electrical Handbook", by Jim Horner, it's helped me out quite a few times. It was written in the 80's, it uses a Pinto as an example and maybe a kit car or race car...It's pretty basic but I found it usefull..

One of my friends has a book called "Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems", by Tony Candela...I've flipped through it, and it looks like alot of information, from building harnesses to troubleshooting....Probably a real good one to have..

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

NICE BOOK!!! I'll definitely have to order that one ASAP.....I got a kit from Rebel, and while their directions seem good, for a beginner I need something like this.

I'm wiring a 283 out of a 65 Impala (now in my 50 Chevy). Will this basic wiring set up still hold true? It looks like it will. My ride has been off the road for a year, and I'm starting to bog down in the build because I need some motivation to keep moving forward. If there was a way to wire it up simple and dirty like that, then I'd have it on the road a hell of a lot sooner. I figure that way I can enjoy it for a bit before I take it off the road again to do the Rebel kit.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Also, search Amazon and others for Tex Smith's "How to do Electrical Systems". Plus, Speeway Motors and others for "How to Wire Your Streetrod"
    poboyross-remember everything in ignition/charging system needs to be 12 volts with proper wire/fuses, etc

8. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Thanks for the heads up on the 12v. I tore out all of the wiring so I'm starting from scratch. I just wish I had dropped the bling for the internally regulated alternator.

9. LowFat48

LowFat48

Tommy , thanks for posting that , makes it easy.