Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any good junk yards left?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whinel, Oct 30, 2010.

1. whinel

whinel

I was wondering if there were any good junk yards left. I am in upstate NY and can't find anything. The ones that used to be around are closed. I love poking around in them.

2. Yes, there are. Depends on what you like and where people live. Your part of the US is not friendly to cars of course.
    I am into Pontiacs and started my own yard about 15 years back, now starting on a second one. Have about 45O old Pontiacs. Bought one Pontiac from your general area of upstate NY. It's a 61 Catalina convertible. When I finally got to see it in person, well, yikes, the car is broken in half from the winters up there. Would imagine that is why you do not find much stuff because everything probably rots away in short order.
    Visited a friend one time in Phelps, near Rochester a few years back. Drove my 72 GTO from Arizona. He was blown away when i told him the car still has its original tail pipes. He told me they last 3 to 5 winters where he is.

If you ever get to the soutwest, there are several collector yards with buildable vintage tin.

3. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

^^^ like applekrate said it depends where you are. My fav. one here in Co. has A's through late model stuff, granted most of the old shit has been picked over pretty good...

4. Whinel, What part of upstate considering I'm upstate to? I have not found to much in the junk yards I have to have my cars shiped in.

5. whinel

whinel

I am in Canandaigua, about 30 miles from Rochester. I am actually closer to Phelps which is mentioned in applekrate's post. All the places my father used to take me to have since closed.

6. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

There's two or three decent yards in my area,I'm on the western N.Y/Pa. line.
    Come on down,I'll show 'em to ya'.:cool: