Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical are scatter shields necessary?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, May 3, 2019.

1. Ask Big Daddy Don Garlits. HRP

Dog_Patch and Deuces like this.
  2. exactly ^^^^ they are not safety they are damage control. ;)

Someone mentioned that 180 degree scatter shield. I was at a non sanctioned track driving a run what you brung once in Arkansas. Cool track actually back in the 90s they still had the telephone pole guard rails. I digress. I rolled in driving a small block 4 speed chevy, original bell. They said that they would let me run it is I removed the inspection cover. The idea was that if the clutch let loose the debris would fall out the bottom. The logic was flawed but I got an idea that the 180 deal way back when was based on the same thinking.

Max Gearhead, Dog_Patch and Deuces like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

If I had anything High Performance/High RPM with a clutch I would put one in. Street racing days, I had one similar to post #41 in the 60's not quite that severe, but when anybody looked at it, they were amazed I still had my feet, no injury other than some dirt/crap pieces in my eyes, no problems, Very Lucky I am. I junked the body and put the engine in another car with a lakewood scattershield. I often wonder with today's high performance cars, come with one from the factory or have the flywheel clutch assemblies improved that much that failures don't happen anymore.

Deuces and 48fordnut like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

Most of the modern performance cars that still are running manual transmissions are running multi disc clutches. Apparently, they don't explode like the single disc clutches did, or at least you hear about such things anymore these days. Gene

wicarnut likes this.
  5. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

With a Clutch Flite, The trans usually blew apart. That is why the Ramchargers quit using them.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Pushbutton TFs would also occasionally self-ventilate.

23a05ca54a7e4cc16e69312c86e62afe.jpg.421f39db3372592f94c651cd7f001c1e.jpg

Bandit Billy, 427 sleeper and Deuces like this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

Cool ... Guess that means I don't have to buy one then for GT/CS....

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our HAMB brother @safari-wagon told a story of a Chevelle that sent it's clutch disc through a lady's window and it landed on her bed smoking. She called the authroities to report a UFO. It was in the local paper...:D

Deuces, Max Gearhead and Gotgas like this.
  9. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

That bottom pick didn't happen to be Neels Lindseys' 56 Chevy ?

10. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Modern high gear drums cure this issue.
    Failure of the overrunning clutch would over-speed the drum to the point of self destruction.
    Basically, a failed overrunning clutch will still cause issues with the trans, but nothing should explode.

11. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

They would explode on launch as the trans could not take the sudden power input.

12. Dual range Hydros didn't require scatter shields/

Deuces and GuyW like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

It doesn't always take high revs to explode a flywheel. Back in the mid 70's my brother and I changed the engine in a guys pickup with a camper on the back. When we got the motor out and were swapping parts we told him the fly wheel had some nasty looking heat cracks . He said aw I never turn it over 4000 and it will be alright. The next week he was going to northern Michigan for deer season .
    He went to pull out of a parking lot that was up hill and he was going about 15 mph when the flywheel exploded and broke the bell housing broke the back of the block and went through the floor.
    He called me all pissed off and I told him remember I told you to put a new flywheel in.
    My brothers 66 big block Vette exploded a flywheel one night when he was street racing and he had a Lakewood shield. It still knocked the starter off the block and sawed the brake line in two. It broke the input shaft on his 4 speed and some other damage.
    Yes you need a scattershield and I have a new Lakewood in my gasser project.

Deuces and Dog_Patch like this.
  14. bolthead

bolthead

Aircraft quality bolts to hold the scatter shield and block plate to the block would be the best bet these days. Or ARP bolts. Lots of overseas fake stuff have infiltrated the system. Just remember all those crane accidents that happened several years ago.

15. GuyW

GuyW

My 1936 Chevy PU has a 3/8" steel plate in place of the floor toeboard (above the bellhousing), but I never managed to proof-test it. I have a Lakewood shield and lightwt steel flywheel to use when I put it back together tho

Deuces likes this.