Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are people really getting these high prices for their unfinished projects???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52carsontop, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Lono

Lono

I think a lot of guys are posting prices padded to accomodate demasticated lo-ballers who also hang out here. You have to leave them lots of room to give them a feeling of satisfaction when they offer you half of what you ask.

2. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

What's alot of money?

3. rld14

rld14

Sounds like me :D

There's a reason my 54 Ford is in the classifieds for close to 40% too much.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Ive listed alot of cars/trucks over the years, and if you put FIRM, they still offer 1/2 or 2/3 of asking price, so I pad price from a few hundred to a few thousand, depending on value of car. Buyers just assume they can beat you up on price. Nature of the beast.

5. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

My approach to buying a project was to call anyone who had something I might be seriously interested in, regardless of price. I'd establish a relationship if possible, and let them them know I was in the market. I'd get as much information as I could, and if I was still interested, I would politely and in a non-confrontational manner, discuss price. I called sellers (13 cars) on the HAMB, ebay, and CL for almost a year, and got close to a purchase twice, but still felt the cars were just too overpriced for the market. The seller of the car I finally bought was an older guy (I'm 64) with health problems who truly needed to sell the car quickly. He dropped his unrealistic asking price by a third and sold me the car. I didn't steal the car, but I bought it for less than the cost of the parts. Be patient, know the market, and let it function.

6. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Not to slam this guys car but this is way to much money! 25K for it he is asking. If you click on his link with more pictures you will be amazed as to what the body work looks like on this car. Lots of work was done but messy work was done.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674439

7. Its all relative, if your POS is worth 20 grand then so is mine .... so lets trade.

People really have balls to ask for that kind of bucks for something that was never intended to "appreciate" ..... we are all just custodians to our cars and the next owner is gonna be the same.

Now with that said I am looking for a rust-free 33-34 PU and I have a cream-puff 1996 Honda Civic with coffee can exhaust for trade .... all offers considered, no low-baller, no tire-kickers, what cha got?

8. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Here's how I see it: An unfinished project means that it has to go, for some reason the guy needs cash or can't finish it. When you go to his place to look at it with CASH in hand, YOU get to negotiate your price and explain to him why its going to cost X amount of dollars to finish the project, this usually makes them realize what they are asking is ridiculous. I have chopped over $5000 off an asking price once I arrived on the scene. I would say, very few are getting their asking price.

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

10. Its about as easy as unsaying it I suppose. :D

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Love the grill and welded on door hinges.

12. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I looked too. Outa here guys, I'm headed to the slaughter house to watch them kill chickens for a couple of hours.:(

13. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I always seem to get what I want for my stuff and cash talks if a low offer comes I just say no ,if theres fools out there oh well everybody wants a deal , swap meets are the same the dopes around here make offers on parts then ya say ok and the fruckin walk away oh well time for my nap...

14. RAVENS29

RAVENS29
    from n/a

Well, if i've said it once I've said it a hundred times- these people think that their going to retire on that p.o.s. Thats why I built my own. I think I could build one for sale starting at 1,200.00 plus materials. this one I have 600.00 in it including the price of the cowl

15. Heo2

Heo2

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

its a dance for certain, like if you post a car up at what its worth then people low ball the hell out of you, if you try and give it away then every one thinks something is wrong with it and doesnt want it.

I have a 2dr hardtop 59 edsel that is clean as they get and a daily driver, factory ac, ps,pb, mint interior, yada yada yada.. car list for 16k, I posted it at 14k and got a bunch of 8k offers and turned them down.

fast forward 6 months and I found something I wanted for 8k, so I thought this will be an easy deal, drop the price to 8k and its crickets chirping...

eh, what ever though, I still get to daily drive a sweet 59 2 dr hard top every day :D

I just wish I didn't have damn car a.d.d.!!!

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

To me alot of times an unfinished project is amoeone elses Pain in the ass ! They strip it apart, lose half the shit, dont label anything. They junk the stock motor "cuz theyre gonna put a big block in it". He'll gut the interior, and start to buy some parts... then it sits and rusts and sits and rusts. Until one day outta the blue guy gets a wild hair and decides to sell his project with "all the hard work done and lotsa new parts" for some rediculous amount. He doesnt really care if it sells so his price is FIRM! If thats the projects your talking about, weve got tons of them around here! High prices too, Go ahead check Craigslist they list em over and over and...

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I just wish I didn't have damn car a.d.d.!!![/QUOTE]

If you find a cure let me know!

19. You are absolutely correct about pricing. If it is too low no one is interested. A couple of years ago one of the fellas had some aprts for sale cheap like in 1/3 what they normally go for. I knew they were good aprts but I didn't need 'em.

He had them up for about a week and over 600 views, but no offers even. he dropped me a note and said what was wrong. i told him to boost the price by at least double or may 3 times and accept offers. The parts lasted 5 minutes.

Its a ballancing act. A lot of the time I don't want much for what I am selling for one of two reasons, either I don't need much or I don't have much in them or both. If I am in a carb for 15 bucks I don't have a probklem selling it for 15 bucks. But when you price something way below what is common the general concensus is that you are trying to work a hustle.

20. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

sometimes killin hogs helps get that pic out of your mind.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would rather start at a price that was too high and not sell than start at a price too low only to find out similar cars have sold recently for much more.

I must say the guy with the bare metal 49 Chevrolet mentioned earlier @$25,000 is taking that thought process to the extreme

22. There is one good thing that can be said about that car. At least you can tell what needs to be done to the sheet metal before you drop the cash.

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm not.... I can't give my '37 Olds away. Well, I'm not going to give it away, but you know what I mean.

24. rld14

rld14

I saw that car for sale, can't believe nobody grabbed it, I thought it was a real fair price.

Funny, but my current job includes me being in charge of used car pricing for 3 dealerships, we had one car that was aging, as a test I raised it $1,000. It started getting a lot of hits and sold. Go figure.

25. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

I just don't think anybody is buying right now unless they're rich and can afford $20k plus finished cars. I think I have mine pretty fair priced at $5500 and haven't had much of an offer above $3k other than a couple decent trade offers that didn't pan out. I'm not going to give my car away either. When you get down below $10k you lose quite a bit of wiggle room in the price I think unless the seller is desperate.

26. Some people live in a fantasy world..created by mis-information, bad judgement, lack of common sense, and followed up by wishful thinking.
    There is a cure..it's called reality.

27. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

28. About once a week I log on the HAMB and I'm amazed by the threads of guys bitching and moaning about the prices other guys want for their stuff, because they're either too dumb to understand asking prices and making an offer, too dumb to know when someone is fishing or doesn't really want to sell something, or just plain have no fucking idea what things are worth or what even scrap metal is bringing these days. You want stuff cheap, get off your ass and go find it in the fields yourself, don't sit there expecting it to leap out through the monitor into your lap for pennies on the dollar.

I mean, if you're going to sell something, you can go down on the price a hell of a lot easier than going up. Even then I have some stuff I've posted outright MAKE AN OFFER on and I've gotten exactly one person interested in one thing, plus the same dumbass who wanted pieces off one who I told to pound sand the first time he asked six months ago.

29. 327Eric

327Eric

the askin price sure aint the sellin price. I got 3100 for a 61 chevy shortbed, shiny white, but had a lot of mud. I was askin 5500. I sawzalled a 51 Henry J- started at 1500. by the time i got to 350, it was worth more for parts. It was rough, but for 350. No ones buyin projects here(sf bay area)

30. [​IMG]
    here ya go yall , print up all you want , thats how i roll im a giver!:D