Register now to get rid of these ads!

are people getting dumber about old stuff, or am I just becoming obsolete?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I think people are getting dumber ,People are coming out of the woodwork to slam Jesse James ,I think its a personal issue and everyone should mind there own buisness .I just saw a 4th woman that claimed she also had an affair ,Cmon Im not that stupid to believe everything I hear .

2. hemi

hemi

I'm not real sure I can read a sun dial. I've never seen one long enough to think about it. Does that make me dumb?

Digital clocks are everywhere but towers on old buildings to young kids. Don't blame kids, blame adults who make digital everything. In a few more years the need to read an analog clock will be as obsolete and archaic as a sundial.

My kids can read an analog clock, but they are not pros at it because the microwave, the stove, my watch, my phone, the van, the car, and the bedroom clocks are all digital... I have one antique mantel clock that winds up and has a regular face, and it's broken and I have one regular clock in the garage by my workbench.

3. HeatherMarie

HeatherMarie
    from USA

Much of this thread has been about how the type knowledge each generation possesses is different.

Sure, I'm a chick, but I don't know how to make homemade bread like my grandmother who was raised in the 1930's. Does that mean I'm stupid? I hope not.

But - I've noticed many of the people my age (20-ish) lack a desire to learn or experience hands on training.

4. davis574ord

davis574ord

if you think people at walmart are stupid, stop by autozone or kragens, and ask those dumb fuckers a question! i have a local napa parts house close to my house and one of the old boys that work there has been pushing auto parts for almost fifty years! half of the time he can get what you want without looking it up or opening a parts book! half of these fuckin idiots cant do anything without a computer!

5. People need to learn how to listen!

Opportunity knocks very softly

Fenderless

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

FLATHEAD 50,YOU JUST SUMMED THE WHOLE THREAD UP YOUR 4-YEAR OLD CAN SPELL HIS NAME ON COMPUTER,AT 4-HE SHOULD BR ABLE TO WRITE IT BECAUSE AT PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGARTEN THEY ARE EXPECTED .first thing they are handed is a calculator,machine does all the work and kid learns nothing.kinda like a grown man sitting in car with flat tire just waiting on someone to stop and change it.because he knows book learning but books don"t teach COMMON SENCE

7. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I still have this thing functioning next to my computer.

[​IMG]

8. We all have interacted with people at all kinds of stores that we felt were not that bright. I would rather deal with them there then have them not working at all. At least at work they contribute some value to society. Lots of people prefer to ask for hand outs or have us support them through the goverment systems. Give them a break or give them a check. Just my opinion. Gary

9. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

its what plants crave

10. DrJ

DrJ

I know how to adjust dwell or adjust points gap and set timing on a distributor.
    I don't know which wire to plug on to to even check timing on an HEI ignition.
    Computerized EFI?
    All I can do is look to see if it needs the battery posts cleaned or washer fluid.
    I can adjust idle speed and fuel mixture on multi carb cars.
    My Dad used to tune Ferrari's at a dealer and he taught me how to do multi's back in the '60's.
    (The secret is adjust the intake and exhaust valves perfectly first...)

I've got to the point of cranial technical overload.
    You know how if your computer gets "full" you have to delete files after storing them somewhere else so you have room to store more stuff?
    Well, I think your brain works about the same way, except it's "Empty Cache" is done randomly and without your knowledge or approval.
    That's why sometimes I find my 61 and a 1/2 year old self going, " I know I knew that but where is it in my head?
    I may be getting close to being able to hide my own Easter Eggs :(

When I go to a store I always charge, everything.
    That way, if I have reason to take it back and they give me guff I pull out my cel phone and tell them I'm going to have the item back charged anyway, and keep the item too. That gets them agreeing with me.

The problem is, every store has a different charge hinky on the counter.
    Some of them you slide the card name up, some name down and the magnetic strip up.
    Some of them ask for a pin number, for debit, and you have to hit "cancel" to then get to "charge"
    So, I slide my card and say "I wan't to charge this, but I don't want to learn yet another system so you do the rest and tell me when it's ready to sign."
    Why don't they standardize the damn things?
    Oh yea, that would be going against free enterprise competition, my bad...:rolleyes:

I have a cel phone because Wife says I will have one and carry it at all times. :rolleyes:
    I've had one for about a decade.
    Actually, I've had three different ones.
    This one even has a camera.
    The lens is full of "pocket lint"
    Doesn't matter, I don't know how to work it and don't care to learn.
    (I did give up on 35 mm and bought Wife a digital camera.
    She takes it up really high mountains, like Whitney.
    I don't even bother taking pictures at shows anymore because DRD57 does a way better job than I ever did anyway.)
    I just broke down and learned how to put the "friends numbers" in it with corresponding names about a month ago.
    I don't want to learn how to text or tweet or even learn how to answer voice mail so I went to the store and had them turn all that stuff off.
    After all, I don't want to even receive a voice mail or text if I don't know how to answer it and besides, sometimes I don't answer because I don't want to talk to someone.
    I sure as hell don't want them able to leave a message that I'm then responsible for at least supposed to have knowledge of!

I have a cassette player in my truck, a CD player in the Civic and an 8 track in the Elky.
    I "won" a free MP3 player at the local Mishimushi dealer but it's back in the box.
    I got it out and started to read the instructions and the words all blurred together.

11. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I love it, a thread about how stupid people are that is full of spelling and grammar errors.

You couldn't make some of this stuff up if you tried, there is some serious comedy going on here. :)

Attached Files:

12. You don't have kids, do you? Besides, spelling is spelling. He knows how to spell his name, which is better than most of the kids in his preschool (they only go 4 hours a day three days a week, mom is with them most of the time, and they've been there less than 3 months). So tell me, oh so smart one, how is a child spelling his name on a computer having a "machine" doing all the work for him?

And clearly, for someone slamming a 4 year old, you might want to work on your own spelling.

13. Nothing I have has GPS. I use paper maps, because of the few times I've used mapquest, it tells me to drive in places there are no roads, like a local reservoir, for instance! A person can give me directions to anywhere in the continental US, and I'll find it, without all that modern shit.

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

this thread is done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.