Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are my wheels aluminum or magnesium???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod To Hell, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I have some old Slot mags (15x4's,15x7's & 15x10's), which I have always thought were Aluminum, but after seeing 60's Style's Egay link to the spokes I got thinkin... These rims (ansens I think???) would always turn really dark super fast after cleanin them. It didn't matter what I used for wheel cleaner, within a week or two they'd be dull gray again. After much frustration I just painted 'em with some of that "aluminum" paint, and forgot about 'em. Other than throwing sparklers at them, is there any way to tell if they're Aluminum or Magnesium??? The rims aren't here, they're at a barn I rent, or I'd take pics and check the brands for sure...

2. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Check if they say Ansen on the backside. Don't think they ever made a Mag wheel, only Aluminum. Other than the Halibrands with raised lip around the slots, I don't know of any slot wheels cast in Magnesium...

3. oddrod

oddrod

squirt them with some oven cleaner, if they pit and melt they're magnesium. if that doesn't work i think the magnesium ones go up in flames pretty quick when you try to powder coat them. or is it the other way around? good luck and don't do either of the above, these are warnings turned into jokes (i think). stevo

4. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

DON"T USE OVENCLEANER!!!
    IT EATS ALUMINUM! and it can make pure magnesium IGNITE!!
    Not good!
    Most "Mags" were Mag alloys, meaning that they contained
    around 10% magnesium.
    Many ally's contain a quite a lot of Zinc, that makes them oxidize real fast,especially with most over counter polishes.
    They are designed to re-oxidise, that way they get more sales.
    you shouldn't have to polish more than once every 4 months to keep aluminum wheels in top shape unless you're really riding in a lot of dust.
    Most guys are happy polishing once or twice a year with the right products.
    Magnesium is a very porous surface that cannot be polished.
    It's also super light.
    There is no such thing as a mag polish.
    If you've ever handled pure magnesium you'll know why.

5. k-member

k-member

"I don't know of any slot wheels cast in Magnesium."..
    I've seen em,don't know who made them, had some early ones that were 16x10 big Olds pattern and 15x18 big Ford pattern, sold those suckers for good money. But these ones aint for sale [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. tred

tred

hey hot rod,

magnesium alloy has a higher specific strength than aluminum alloy (for the same mass), but a significantly lower density (as was said above). i believe there is a source that makes cast magnesium slots (i think in europe), so we can't rule out magnesium there. if you can get to the wheels, obviously check for brand markings and go from there, but if none are found, try rubbing some aluminum polish or even car wax on an inconspicuous area and (1) check for the 'openings' in the surface filling up with wax, and (2) check for shine after the polish dries and is removed. do not use a buffing wheel, do this by hand or it is will look about the same no matter which metal the wheel is made of. you will most likely know what metal you are dealing with right away.
    someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but [cast] magnesium alloys will not polish up like aluminum will.

man, this is a tough one if you can't get to the wheels...
    [​IMG]

tred.

7. tred

tred

something else i just thought of,
    ferrari has been using magnesium alloy wheels on their cars for years, if left alone like yours are, with age, they naturally turn a medium to dark grey color, aluminum doesn't.
    that may be the answer to your question right there! [​IMG]

man, this one was really buggin' me...

tredder.

8. Grunthaner

Grunthaner
    from New Jersey

Hi I'm new today and want to know how "I" can tell if my American Racing Equipment Libre wheels are aluminum or magnesium also. I'll post photos when I can but right now I am trying to remove a coat of paint from the Daisy style section. If you are not familiar with them here is below. I am trying to use sand in my blaster but it is pitting, if I use paint remover which kind will not breakdown the wheels? Or should I use glass beads?

http://www.zparts.com/zptech/comparisons/wheels/pages/are_vs_noname_back.html

9. Soviet

Soviet

Oh lookie here, a zombie thread!

The weights of the Libre wheels are given in the link you posted.

Throw them on a scale and you'll have your answer.

10. alchemy

alchemy

The answer was in your Libre link: "As you know, there were several types of 14" Libre style wheels built. Of course, the most famous is the American Racing version, and they are always marked with their name on them. Carroll Shelby also made 14" Libre wheels, and they are marked on the back as well. I have also seen several versions of 14" Libre wheels that were unmarked on the back, and I have no idea who made them. Then there were the magnesium versions! You can usually tell them apart as the spokes are a different design and come to a partial point where the spoke meets the rim. Here is one photo online of them: Below is another part of a photo which shows those wheels better."

11. I've been told that if you place a little bit of white vinegar on the surface of magnesium it is suppose to fizz or bubble as it reacts. Try it on the backside of the rim and let us know if it works

12. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

13. Grunthaner

Grunthaner
    from New Jersey

Thanks guys I received this link from Eric of Zparts and I quickly sent a message to them I hope to get a reply today. The white vinegar sounds interesting and scary at the same time I'll double check with our chemistry department (I teach high school) also posted at my usual forum thesamba.com as I am also into VW's being our blocks are magnesium they should have some tips too. But bubbling sounds like it is eating the material doesn't it?

Here is the link Eric sent I'm almost 100% sure I have aluminum now if it is which paint remover is safe for aluminum?

http://vintagedatsunwheels.com/magnesium--aluminum

Thanks again Linda

14. Grunthaner

Grunthaner
    from New Jersey

BTW I want the car in my avatar ;) maybe someday :)
    Linda

15. Drive Em

Drive Em

Pick them up, magnesium will be very light in weight, that is the easiest way to tell.

16. K-member those are halibrands.

Ansen never made a magnesium slot wheel, and if they are Ansen's they will be marked as such, they were pretty proud of their product.