Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are flames dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Aug 25, 2008.

?

Flames, Dead or alive?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2008.
  1. yes, flames died when you could get them as a sticker.

39 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. No, i love em.

187 vote(s)
    63.8%
  3. Who cares?

69 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jchav62

jchav62

2. Never was a big fan of flames, but they do look cool when done right. Less is more.

3. kiotes

kiotes

Do what u like, who give a rats rear what others think.

4. red ,yellow,orange .. with some white ...striped on the edges .. are flames

all other colors are graffix which is most certainly dead
    like stated if it can bought in a package or ordered as a option at the dealership it is just that .......... a glorified bumper sticker
    voodoo/jungle style ...
    multi thousand licks overlapping ..pink,blue,green flames no matter the style are just out of place no matter the body style . early-late whatever are very gay flames..:( not that there is anything wrong with that...........

5. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Far from dead here, I am painting more flames now than I was 10 years ago. Seems like the people are going back to the root of the hot rod paint job which is very nice in my opinion!

But I hate doing flames on a stock Harley tank, its like trying to flame a bowling ball LOL. Especially when they are the multi-layer in an out type that I am doing for a guy right now, but damn it pays well!!

6. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Hell NO!

Attached Files:

7. 41willys

41willys
    from Iowa

Dead!!!!!!! never!!!!!!!! some cars are born to be flamed.

8. Goodsonbg

Goodsonbg

I liked them until I read through this whole thread. Now I'm about sick of them

9. They are as classic and timeless as the cars they adorn. I have pinstriped flames on my Merc

10. Flames aren't dead but they can be over done or be down right ugly. Some people get it and some don't. It's all got to flow.

Attached Files:

11. I love flames, so much my shop truck was flamed 1 week after I took delivery.

Andy Dunn loved flames too. How about remembering him by supporting the Memorial Fund?

Attached Files:

12. budd

budd

there a few vehicles around here that have really nice flames, but then there are some that are down right ugly, i have been thinking about makeing flames out of stainless to bolt onto the sides of my 29 A roadster, kinda of a combo of polished and brushed, some over lapping, roll the edges to give it some depth, i just need to see a nice set of flame i can copy, i dont have an artfull eye to make my own design.

13. Here's my '40 coupe, with it's Dale West "inspired" flames. Dale was my high school art teacher, now living in the Sarasota, FL area, and I had called him to ask for some flame advice, and how to get the right layout.

He says to me, "Just wait a few days. It'll come to you."

He wasn't lying, either, because a few days later, a tube with some butcher paper layouts from his truck showed up at my door!

I met up with Dale in Lou'vul, back in '99, and he laid down the process blue pinstripes, to outline them.

Attached are a couple of pic's from Lou'vul. Dale shot this pic of his truck and my '40 sitting together, and I shot the picture of Dale laying down the outlines.

Attached Files:

14. draginsteel

draginsteel

I say, "Flame On."

15. I'm not much into those "real fire" airbrushed fuzzy flames. Old traditional style flames with the edges pinstriped still look kind of cool when they're done well.

I think it's kind of boring when they start milling flames into the tops of billet valve covers or steering wheels. Or when they cut the side of a hood or fender in the shape of flames, that's kind of hoaky.

16. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

If they are done right, they look killer.

17. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Their will ALWAYS be flames ...

Hot or Not...

18. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

I dig 'em. Nothing beats a black rod with a traditional flame job.

19. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

I totally dig 'em

20. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

My complaint is if your name is not Rod Powell don't try and do flames, he rules...........If he's busy try Bad Bob...........If he's busy try Kevin.....Hot flames suck..........tribal suck........and my primed roadster sucks, I'm ready for color even black to piss off the california tree huggers that are trying to ban black cars in Ca...................:D

21. mow too much

mow too much

I totally agree would like to get up the courage to have my 40 standard flamed. :cool:

22. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Never mind flames, from what I'm seeing on teh interweb and in the zines it looks like glossy paint is dead.

Where I grew up there was a painter guy that would, every year or two, buy a brand new Chevy SBSC pickup off the lot and have it flamed and sitting on some wheels within just a few days. :cool:

23. Chally

Chally

Yep...flames are dead...

I have proof...

Everything my buddy does is wrong. So he went out and bought a gold PT Cruiser and drove it for a week. It sat in the paint shop for the next 2 months waiting for a flame job...

This buddy is always a day late and a dollar short so by flaming his PT he has killed the flame job for the rest of us...

Thanks a lot Dave...

24. NO NO AND F NO. Flakes are still very hot in my world. You just need to change them up every now and then.

But i do gag when i see thoes air brushed flames.

Attached Files:

25. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Agreed!!!!

26. After seeing dad's pictures from Peoria, of Gene Sonnen's '40 coupe, I always dreamed of some day having my '40 flamed.

You are at the point I was, until I got the stuff in the mail from Dale. Once I received that, I immediately went to the garage, taped off the front end, and took it back across town to have them sprayed. I "supervised" to make sure that the colors blended smoothly, instead of the more harsh fade like on the McCoy sedan.

27. For the most part, I don't like flames. never really did. There are a very few exceptions, like the black shoe-box with the gold flames all over it that Bad Bob bought for his kid a couple years ago. What I REALLY think sucks, is when the flames make the whole front of a car start with the color white. Or when the whole front of the car is consumed by a color that's not it's main color. Terrible. Hey, you asked:D

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  28. I don't know about nothing beating that. But, way too many match that description........over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...................

29. Chuck R

Chuck R

i still like my Rod Powell Flames[​IMG]

30. eye bone

eye bone

Are flames dead?… Is Rod Powell still breathing?… I rest my case!