Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are flames dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Aug 25, 2008.

?

Flames, Dead or alive?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2008.
  1. yes, flames died when you could get them as a sticker.

39 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. No, i love em.

187 vote(s)
    63.8%
  3. Who cares?

69 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Butch11443

Butch11443

I like the old style flames on traditional hot rods. Not into the ghost flames & later stuff.
    Butch

2. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

i like just about any flames - though yea tribal flames suck balls in a bad way, and the 'real flame' thing was cool on the first car that dude did em on, but should have stopped there
    i just dont like many cars outside of a true hot rod or kustom sportin em

3. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

yup,,they are dead...:(

[​IMG]

4. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

This reminds me of a t-shirt I saw at the Kobe Chopper Show in Kobe, Japan:

Choppers not dead, they just suck now.

I thought that was awesome.:D

Dave

5. autobilly

autobilly

I DIG TRADITIONAL FLAME JOBS!
    They'll all get sick of 'em and move on to the next trend (graphics?).
    It's already started, they're starting to go forrealistic flames now instead of traditional. I've noticed scollops seem to be "popping" up alot too.

6. Chuck R

Chuck R

I still dig flames. 25 years old and still looking good thanks to Rod Powell.
    chuck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  7. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

these look a little to cartoony for my liking..

8. 53floored100

53floored100
    from wichita

I would have to say that as long as they are done right then they look good now everybody has their opinion on what looks good that merc is bad ass I love those flames that 5 window above eh they are alright[​IMG] those are some I did on a ferring first real attempt at layin and sprayin.

9. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

Mine aren't dead yet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. Actually the flames on my t-bird were a last minute thing.

I couldn't decide if I would like flames on it or not and I didn't want to invest a bunch of money in the complete paint job and then not like it, so I had a friend do the flames in 1-shot over the 20 yr old lacquer.

Now 4 yrs later and I still can't decide. So I'm driving the shit out of it, to hell with all the rock chip I get in the mean time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  11. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I still do a lot of flame jobs each year but I've found that tribal and "real fire" are for the most part...dead!. Traditional flames have been around since WWI and will stay in style forever.

[​IMG]

12. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

ive seen someshitty flame jobs on alot of hotrods and kustoms, ive seen some badass flame jobs on trucks. flames can cross over to alot of different vehicles.

to say that flames only belong on hotrods or kustoms is crap.

and for true fire. id like anyone on here that talks shit on it, to even attempt something that i wouldnt throw up looking at.

13. Flames are like any other custom touch to a ride, sometimes they work sometimes they dont. Personally I never like the tribal flames or the real fire flames. I dont care how much work it takes to lay on a decent set of real fire flames...I still dont like em.

14. Conder

Conder

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's my first attempt at flames. Practiced on a trash can before tackling em on the coupe.
    [​IMG]

16. JamesG

JamesG

Flames will never die.

That's like saying "Big boobs are so last year."

17. DollaBill

DollaBill

De Soto...

Whereas I agree with your premise that the Rebel Rodz/Old Skool Rodz (I think that's right...I consider myself fortunate that I can't remember the names of those magazines at the moment...) school of "rattle can flames" is inconsistent with the objective of creating a decent, harmonious visual impact...

...I submit the following: My Suburban was about 10 different colors of primer when a friend and I decided to "make it better"...on a $100 budget.

So, I got a gallon of John Deere black, and went to Home Depot where the American Beauty rattle can paint was on sale...

400 feet (well, it seemed like it) of tape later, here's what we ended up with.

Llamas del viva!

Attached Files:

18. blackout

blackout

Flames are part of Hot Rodding, they will never die. Flamed 40 Coupe is real sin Hot Rod IMO.

19. ThatOne49

ThatOne49

IMO, When flames arent overwhelming (covering the car and on the interior, etc) and they arent ALL you notice when you look at the car, then theyre alright. I agree with others though... Not all flames look good and some cars should not have flames.

20. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Imagine that a kick ass traditional hot rod with a blown small block Chevy! When people say a SBC isnt traditional it makes me laugh! Like, ha ha you are a dumb shit kinda laugh.

21. duste01

duste01

Did anyone remember where the saying "The real Mccoy" came from? If you dont then you need to read up on it. If you need a hint, its relative to this thread.
    All Hail The Real Mccoy!

22. Abomination

Abomination

23. duste01

duste01

If your going to use wikipedia just remember, it can be altered and changed just as easy as your own memory.

So since I'm finding myself on the defense once again, just forget I said anything. If you want to live in a shell, go for it. If you want to look up the history of who started the first flame jobs in southern California, then look up a cat by the name of Mccoy, and if you cant find him, try finding the reference yourself as quoted by one of the major peterson publications.

wtf yourself buddy.

The saying itself is questionable on all fronts to begin with. everyone lays claim to it, but no one with a memory can account for they're validity.

Next week someone will be saying who's Kenneth Howard?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Flames are not for me, I just don't like the look of them.

25. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

to me..

if your car NEEDS flames.. its not trying hard enough..

hahaha

26. Abomination

Abomination

Whoa - I'm not trying to piss you off, here! I just took your invite to read up on the phrase, and upon not seeing ANYTHING relevant to it, posted a few links in hopes that you'd enlighten us.

Apparently you did, and with much hostility.

While it is true I cited a Wikipedia article, the second link is from an unalterable source and confirms the general consensus per the OED (that's the Oxford English Dictionary for the unwashed, which not only has the definition of words and phrases, but also the first recorded uses in literature).

Just because Bob McCoy painted fake fire on a '40 Ford a few years ago (in relative time), it might have started a secondary use of the phrase "The Real McCoy" within a very small niche of a (in the grand scheme of things) niche hobby. But that most certainly doesn't refute the most agreed upon definition (which is over 100 years old).

And I certainly don't think Bob McCoy's longevity precludes that.

So yes, Wikipedia articles can be modified as your own memories, but it seems that it is you, sir, who wish to delete over 100 years of the written history of the phrase and modify it to suit your own needs. The phrase has been used in literature as far back as 1906, so it doesn't really matter if "nobody with a memory can account for its' own validity", as it's there on the printed page.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rH...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA9,M1

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43189

~Jason

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  27. I've seen them come, and go, and come again.
    The "latest cool gang" will go on to the "next thing", but flames will
    always be a part of traditional hot rodding.
    [​IMG]

The first car I saw with flames was on an old car at Indy when I was a kid.
    I've been a flamer ever since ( oops better watch my phraseology )

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think the real flames were cool when they first came out,and were done by their inventor,lots of skill there,but now they are available in stickers. I wonder why no one does flames like those on bombers diving during world war 2? if those were done the flames would only come out the seams in the body and appear to be being blown backwards. I've never seen that design done yet.

29. skinned_knuckle

skinned_knuckle

I like the flames that only purists can appreciate-Von Dutch Crab Claws are one example.

30. My Avatar is a "Real McCoy"