Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are cars in the genes ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edcodesign, Jul 7, 2017.

1. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg I borrowed , stole this idea from Ron. To all you parents, grand parents, are cars in the genes? My grandson lives on the left coast, so I don't have that much infulence on him.
    He is car crazy, Hot Wheels overloaded. Is it in the genes? My granddaughter digs them also. I hope this thread is o.k., if not please delete. Thanks, Ed.

jeffd1988, mgtstumpy, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

And a Pink Floyd fan.

3. Sort of... Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are older, they will not depart. It's a law of life, but it works both ways... ;)

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All three of mine were around my working on the hot rods when they were little and went to car shows from the time they were small until I quit going on a regular basis when the the younger ones were in their teens.
    The son I lost when he was 19 was involved from the time he could walk and had plans for his own hot rod when I lost him. My 38 year old daughter went to her first rod run at 5 weeks old and has plans for one of the trucks I have stashed away. The younger son (33) likes to help me on mine but isn't interested on having one of his own as far as I can tell.
    I know we have one member on here who is a rod shop owner who grew up with a dad who has always had a hot rod in the works and has had a hot rod shop at one time and an uncle that builds rods and is a go to guy for figuring out how to get one just right so there has to be some genetic influence there.

TFoch, edcodesign and Ron Funkhouser like this.

5. Yes!!! My dad and grandparents weren't car nuts. But I'm told that I made car sounds before I could talk. I can not remember not being in love with cars. My newest grandson is the same, he's 9 months old, can't talk or walk yet. But the only toys he likes, is ones with wheels! And he makes those cars sounds too![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. alchemy

alchemy

Three generations of car guys in my family.

TFoch, edcodesign and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yes it is in the genes. I have a grown son who does not know me. I found him on the internet a few years back, he has a lowered early 60's car with whitewalls and scallops. I actually saw him once at Gambinos sit down, which is a small show. he has been to Gene Winfields metal class.. he goes to Billetproof, and West Coast Customs show in Santa Maria.
    so not only did he get the love of cars from me, he even likes the same ones I do. if this sounds like you, ask your mom why you are the only one in the family with blue eyes.

8. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice wheels !

9. No.

Chucky likes this.
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Perhaps. A child that plays with toy cars until he takes them apart or they break is a "car guy" in the making. The child who puts them back together will make a good mechanic.

11. Skipped a generation for me. My son had no interest but my 3 year old grandson, his son, loves cars. Always playing with his Hot Wheels and loves going to cruise nights with me in my 33 Chevy. He has to check out every car and wants his picture taken in front of his favorite at the show.

12. Cars passed on through genes. Maybe something to that idea. This is me in 1947 in Dad's V8 60 Kurtis. I saw him run at Gilmore, Tulare, San Berdoo, Huntington Beach, Balboa Stadium, Saugus and the Rose Bowl. This was all I wanted to do since I was 3 years old. At 10 I started. Thanks for inspiring me Pop, and teaching me how to do it good.

[​IMG]

13. Was born into an automotive dealership family in 1946. Has lasted with me for 70 years Sleeping with my Jaguar.jpg

14. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, good luck !

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another great story, good luck to you also !

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. BJR

BJR

My adult son and daughter both fix their own cars. So it might be in the genes.

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My Dad had no interest in cars at all.
    I have been messin' around with car related things of all sorts for over 50 years.
    My Son followed in my foot steps, but took it even further, He has been automotive engineer for the last 20 years all with the same manufacturer.
    He has a few projects some H.AM.B. friendly and some OT.
    My daughter vowed she would never get involved with a "car" guy, oh well she married a fellow who was on an Indy car and Champ car team for over 15 years.
    Genes, probably not, but being around it all the time is an influence.
    KK

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg My grandson says yaa !

19. I agree! I grew up on a farm and my Grandpa (loved him dearly) loved horses, cattle, pigs and all sorts of animals. He couldn't (or wouldn't) mechanic on anything. But he would always be fixing fence and bailing hay and cleaning barns.

Now me, if it had a motor on it I was on it! Tractors, cars, lawn mowers, go-karts, mini-bikes, etc. was for me. I hated cleaning barns. I couldn't wait to get a job in town!

Gramps would always say, "You boys (me and my cousin) don't want to do anything unless it burns gas!" YEP! But my Dad and uncles were into cars and motorcycles and that probably perked my interest. :)

Ron Funkhouser and edcodesign like this.
  20. bondolero

bondolero

I think it more like brain washing. My dad had me convinced old cars were beautiful and only Chevrolet made them. I have recovered from the Chevy part but will go cold turkey on the cars.
    Its also working on both my sons and my daughter somewhat.

302GMC, Ron Funkhouser and edcodesign like this.
  21. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

No, i'm the oddball in the family. my parents, grand parents and my kids are not into cars. The kids have been raised around rods there whole life but no interest.

22. I hope they are. I know my Dad, Uncles, Grandpa were all car guys. My youngsters like to be out in the shop and even more to be headed down the road in something cool.

Couple years ago I walked across the yard from my shop to the garage and then heard a tremendous hammering. Ran back to see my little guy waling with a body hammer on the car I was doing bodywork on. Slid up next to him as he stopped, he ran his hand back and forth over the area he was beating and said "yep, that feels about right"

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. I don't know how it all works. My dad was a car guy all his life. I didn't car much for them until I started driving but now it's my job and my hobby.

My son who is 8 could care less about cars, he's into sports. My nephew who is 10 and related to me by marriage is a car nut. His dad is a sports guy who couldn't find the radiator cap if his life depended on it.

Who knows?...

24. yep...really get it from my pop's - my mom's dad....his son's carried on....my dad was more a buy - clean (me) and go thru brakes...then re-sale....my pop's in his gow job before my mom about 1925/26 and the shop about 1932.... Lincoln Pup.jpg DL000005.jpg

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mr48Chevy, I too lost a son, mine at 20, and he was as big a car nut as I am, so I know where you're coming from. His older half brother is exactly the opposite, he could tear up a steel ball with a rubber hammer in a sandbox, no mechanical ability at all. We adopted both of them when they were both less than 3 years old, one picked up on it, one didn't. Funny thing is, the 4 year old grandson we are raising is the older ones son, and he's already 'working' on his toys and loves his cars and trucks, just like his late Uncle did.

My maternal Great Grandpa was a mechanical genius, always working on mechanical stuff, but not so much vehicles. I reckon it passed on down to me and my first cousin, we are both very mechanical minded and also automobile nuts. Nobody on my Dads side was that way, even though my Dad was a pretty good self taught carpenter, he never did it for a living. He carried his vehicles to a shop until I got old and wise enough to do the work for him. He never did really understand how I knew so much about vehicles without any formal training. It just comes natural for me.

26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All great story's !

27. Not in my family,my dad was only interested in basic transportation and had absolutely no interest in old cars.

My kids were in the back seat of a 40 Ford sedan traveling to shows until they were about 15 and decided they didn't want to go anymore,they have no interest in old cars,they took after their granddad.:rolleyes:

My 21 year old granddaughter will inherent the ranch wagon and when she is not working as a paramedic she will hit a local cruise in with us. HRP

28. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Working on the granddaughter !

29. I haven't given up on our youngest granddaughter,Veda is a good name for a hot rod gal. HRP

veda001.jpg

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't think genes has as much to do with it as being around cars and guys that love cars! My Dad never cared about cars other than using them for basic transportation and the same with my 2 brothers. Maybe I got my mechanical interests from my Grandpa who was a blacksmith? My grandson is a car nut which he definitely got from my influence, I got him involved with go cart racing when he was about 10 and got him started with motorcycles also. Now he is pushing me to get my 58 going because he wants to have memories of us cruising in it together and he will inherit it and says it will never leave the family if he has anything to say about it.