Register now to get rid of these ads!

are Bosch oil filters any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36-3window, Nov 1, 2012.

1. i see that we are now carrying Bosch oil filters at my part time job. i had no idea they even made any filters. i have always used Wix , but they appear to be of good quality and are actually a bit more money

Google didn't bring up any good or bad

what has been your experience with Bosch filters?

2. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

Thats funny, here bosch are cheaper than wix..

Both filters are better than fram... i used to have photos of apples to apples cut open oil filters.

I took the same part number like a ph3980 and cut them open.. sold more wix and bosch filters by showing customers what the insides look like.

Nathan

3. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Ive always used them_ Im no expert but the construction just feels better, solid and heavy compared to fram

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Mann filters is another German company, that is used in many idustrial applications.

Ago

6. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Everyone knows that Fram is garbage I always use Wix,but my son has an Acura and he tells me that the Bosch filter for his car is actually larger than oem,or wix ??????:confused:

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Our local Advance Auto has a display with a cut open Bosch and a cut open Fram. The Bosch looks very solid internally, and that is all I have been using lately.

BTW, I found out when Autozone runs one of their specials on oil and a filter the manager at the store has the authority to substitute another brand filter for one you prefer. It happened to me. They had a Valvoline oil and Fram filter special going on and the manager was trying to sell me on the special. I told him I use Bosch and wouldn't use a Fram under any circumstances. He said "No problem, take the Valvoline oil and Bosch filter, I have the authority to overide it in the computer."

Just thought I would pass that along because your local manager should have the same ability to do that if you ask.

Don

8. fordor41

fordor41

I had the same experience but they gave me the Special price at check-out plus a mail-in rebate. 6 qts oil and filter ended up like $6!

9. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I've always used Bosch, If I cant get that I go with K&N or WIX. Anything is better than a FRAM.

10. flatoz

flatoz

bosch is german, what more needs to be said, I have bosch points, drill's, angle grinder, hell even a Bosch dish washer and when the washing machine goes out, thats going to be bosch, I even looked at a bosch oven when we did our renovation, but settled on something else.

I love bosch stuff, or AEG or Metabo.

we can't get bosch filters here, if we could I would buy them.

I have just found baldwin filters. I love them too!

11. Pretty much..............

12. flatoz

flatoz

I forgot alternators and distributors....:)

13. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

K&N for me. Haven't seen Bosch that I can recall.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. thanks for all the info , i will use them on the next oil change

15. Amateur Sketch

Amateur Sketch

Bosch and Purolator are under the same corporate umbrella - all are good filters. From "worst" to "best" in terms of filtration are:

Purolator Classic (white can)
    Bosch Premium (black can)
    Purolator PureONE (yellow can)
    Bosch DistancePlus (blue can)

I use the PureONE on all my cars and even my riding mower.

16. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i had a bosch premium pop off on a vw once. unfolded the seam and oil all over the garage. even the rafters. ill never use one again.

17. snelson57

snelson57

When I saw the thread title, I wondered how long it would take to turn into a Fram slam. Took one post.

18. tedster

tedster

Yeah and it will go on all day.

19. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

I have a stock pile of pentius oul filters. Not sure who makes them but they used to be the cheap commercial grade filters that were sold to repair shops. I cut one of those open and they were built just as good as the Bosch filter and they were half the price

Nathan

20. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

OK,it has been determined that Fram is garbage---Soooo which is better Wix or Bosch ?

21. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

I say theyre about even.. cant really go wrong with either..

Wix has better coverage than bosch.. wix is available just about anywhere while bosch is harder to find..

Napa gold filters used to be repackaged wix, not sure they still are

Nathan

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012