Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are any of your high School friends still involved with Hot Rods & Customs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 17, 2020.

1. I know of only 1 guy, he always had some nice cars like a '65 Impala SS and '64 Nova SS. I saw him at the last reunion, but didn't get to talk much. One of my college buddies, actually 2 of the closest have nice cars, one a '32 Ford (glass body...) , the other a '70 Nova.

I'm not on FB for various reasons, I took some ribbing from HS alumni since I have decided to stay in NY while they are down south. I pretty much told them that I can afford a house in NY and down south.

2. I think I'm the only one of my friends from HS that is still involved in old cars... one was killed in a motorcycle accident a couple of days before graduation and the rest have passed away or have moved on to RV's and spending the winters in Arizona. I know a couple of them would like to get back into cars; but they are married to "practical" ladies that would not see the necessity of having one...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    bobss396 and olscrounger like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

There is direct correlation between hot rods, drag racers and customs. They all require time, money and satisfaction. All of my friends from high school are no longer into mild customs, hot rods or drag racing, other than possibly watching a TV show or two about hot rods, etc. They have all had their time in the teenage scene and for them as well as most, it was time to move on in life. So, most have. (From 1962??? What??? Most have gone on to teenager places in the cloud...)

When going to those class reunions, the closer to high school it is, like the 20 year reunion, the more active one was or is. But going to several reunions later, it was just nice to talk and see those that we have not seen in 30+ years. The last big one we went to was the 30. Then skipped the 40 due to our son’s wedding on the same day and finally the 50. The sheer numbers have fallen each year and surprises popped up in conversations.

So, in 2017, I was invited to the grand opening of the original Lions Drag Strip Museum at the Price Transfer Industrial Complex. There I was reunited with one of my class mates from the 1959-64 era. He had a nice hot rod for the daily driver, became interested in drag racing, met some great people, married a girl from a famous drag racing family, built a race car, joined with some famous drag racing teams after high school and learned a trade, all while growing up. His path was a little different than ours.

Having gone to junior high school with his drag racing partner, Doug Fisher, (bought my first 1940 Ford Flathead Sedan Delivery from Doug Fisher) then high school with both, there is some hot rod/drag race history there. Doug is now gone, but Jerry Bivens is still active in those Nitro Nights, Nitro Revival, Cacklefests and Lions Museum Foundation opening events. With his current re-creation of the famous “Checkmate” FED, there are reminders of his late partner, Doug Fisher in bright lettering on the definitely, creative paint job.
    upload_2020-6-30_4-2-18.png 2017 fire up in the afternoon...
    SOUND 2017

A delightful sight, sound and eye watering event in most So Cal Cacklefests...

The most current on the video conferencing extravaganza:

upload_2020-6-30_4-12-13.png
    at 2:24:43 http://aaafamosoraceway.com/national-day-of-nitro/

So Cal hot rodding/drag racing memories at its finest… Way to go, Jerry!

upload_2020-6-30_4-13-3.png
    Long Beach, Bixby Knolls, old time hot rodder/drag racer...
    upload_2020-6-30_4-13-19.png

4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Several Players Left And Mel Leads The Pack... 28424107_10212603679471159_4978606363647814068_o.jpg