Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are all 49-54 chev car spindles the same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JaysinSpaceman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. I did a search and couldn't find anything so now I'm asking. I have had a set of what I thought was 54 chevy car spindles and I am trying to use them in my current project. Here's my problem, the spindle shaft size seems to be larger then the I.D.of the bearing in the 49-54 chev drums and hubs that I receintly got at a swap meet. I dont have a acurate measurent right now as my calipers took a shit on me but the shaft size on the spindles I have is neer 1.320 or so and it seems that the I.D. of the bearing race in the hubs I have is 1.250 or so. Is there a different bearing that I could use or do I just flat have the wrong parts. Any how if someone out there has a bit of info that might help please let me know. Thanx

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

49-50 are huck, 51 up are bendix with the 53-54 setup being regarded as the best of the bunch, its possible you have a mix and match set, ie not compatible.

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

there is no difference in the spindle, regardless of which brakes you have. note that the disc brake kits fit the whole year range of cars without modification or different part numbers.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If these spindles are an aftermarket spindle like the spindles that Speedway sells, they are different from OEM spindles. They are a bigger diameter than the orginial spindles were.

5. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

The spindle shafts are the same. In fact, you can use the hub/drum assembly on cars as early as '41 to get 5 bolt drums.

As an added note, the uprights on the 53-54 front ends are "dropped" about 1" when compared to the 49-52. I used those on my '51.

6. Hey thanx guys. Now that it's morning I am going to try to figure it out. I'll post what ever I find out.

7. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

I pretty sure only 54 dropping 1"

8. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You have a pair of Pontiac spindles there.

9. OK guys. I'm just an idiot. I was trying the early drums that I have instead of the 49-54 drums. They look very similar. I realized what was happening found the right drums and guess what they fit. I haven't done anything stupid in a while so I guess it was just time, better trying the wrong drums then cutting off a finger. Thanx for ALL the help.

P.S. If anyone needs 54 chev uprights I think that I have a pair. If you can tell me how to make sure they are and need them to lower your car you can have them for the cost of the shipping. PM me if you're interested.