Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ardun heads at "yard sale"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Bone Head

Bone Head
    from Kansas

The find of the century. You mush have a rabbits foot or something.

2. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

I don't do garage sales. Everyone I ever went to, in the past, had
    nothing hot rod related in it. Total waste of my time. But YOU, my friend, did VERY, VERY, well !!!!:eek:

3. I've got a 59AB complete from fan to tranny and carb to pan that is going in my '30 Ford Tudor that has a 4" chop and will be aprox. 4" off the ground full fendered less the frame aprons so the bottom of the doors will be at the top of the running boards and I have a '32 Packard grill and '31 Lincoln 11inch headlights....

4. ...out looking for a cool daily driver and saw the sale and stopped to buy some stools I saw for the shop, as for the daily driver, I found it yesterday behind an old guys house, its a 48 Chevy coupe, I have a thread (found a nice 48 chevy today...) on here with pics.

5. scruff

scruff

Man congrats on a great find;To think what the odds are of just fluking across that is unbelievable.When I was searching for arduns I always figured there had to be at least one old timer out there who wouldn't be up to speed on current inflated prices,long story short I found him and bought my engine out of his junk pile back in '97. Came with Hilborn setup,Kong distributor,stroker crank and wilcap maincaps.He set the price of $1500. and I was glad to pay it. Congrats again I hope you bought some lottery tickets.

Attached Files:

6. Zerk

Zerk

I guess that time you saved Mother Theresa and the orphans from bandits has finally paid off. You now have an A-1 karma rating.
    Congrats! And good luck finding the parts to complete your setup.

7. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm a terrible person because I would have offered two hundred.

8. BAMAGUY

BAMAGUY

And just to think, I moved from NW Cabarrus County about two years ago and use to go to yard sales all over Cabarrus and
    Rowan counties before moving to ALABAMA!!
    I COULD have been the lucky buyer!!

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Kinda puts in perspective about what happens to those super rare car parts we save forever , only to have them sold cheap or given away after we run our final race in this world. Makes me wonder.

V8-m likes this.
  10. BigO, you sir are an instant H.A.M.B. legend!

11. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike - nice find! Those WOULD look good on Dennis Fring's v8 tractor... vic (where you got your '40 bumper)

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Everybody forgets that these heads were designed for industrial/truck applications in the first place, so using them on a tractor with V8 conversion wouldn't really be out of place.So now all you guys in farm country just might want to take a closer look at those dead roadside tractors !

13. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

The trick is to hit the garage sales in the "right neighborhoods". Waste of time to hit new home developments etc. as those people just moved in and normally have already filtered through their stuff and are generally younger with newer stuff. Hit the older neighborhoods with homes that were built from the '30 to 1960's. Lot's of senior citizens have stuff tucked away for years and decide to sell because they are moving ito a condo.

Several years back I picked up a complete ram air cobra jet setup for a Mustang for $30.00. Belonged to a son who took it of his car in the early 70's and had no interest in it. The dad made a comment they were going to throw it out of it did not sell.

Last year picked up a whole bunch of mint Starret machininist tools from a retired machinist for $250 that was moving to AZ. Probabaly worth $3-4K new. Guy knew what he had just wanted to get rid of them. Said he was a mchinist for 40 years and was sick of it near the end and di not even want to look at them.

A friend picked up a 1950s soap box derby car for 15.00 that a dad was selling. Car ran at the championship in Akron and came in 2nd place. You would think the son would have wanted it? My friend contacted the son to make sure he he did not want it and get more information/memorbalia and the son told him he could burn the car up in a wood pile if he wanted. The dad forced him to do the derby route and he hated every second of it. No interest in the car whatsoever Go Figure.

14. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

The next door (about 1/2 mile away) at my inlaws has a flathead v8 powered portable welder that those would look really good on.....
    Tombat

15. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

What am I doin sittin here reading this thread ?? There's garage sales goin on right now!!!! Later............

16. zzford

zzford

You didn't try to "dicker" on that price?

17. unreal.

Now, when I spot a set at a swap meet here, I can say "Well, I know a guy who gave $300.00 for a set of those, so how's about $350.00?"

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">19fordy is right - how would we feel if that was a set of heads we kept all our life, only to have the wife (or son/daughter) let them go for nothing. Still a great find, but if you are hanging on to something rare because maybe you are going to do something with it one day, why not let it go for fair market value to someone who will put it to use right now. Maybe this discovery of Ardun heads at a garage sale is a case of just desserts for a poor old hoarder!!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

19. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Great deal! I get a lot of cool stuff for almost nothing at garage sales, nothing like that tho!

Are the rockers, valves, head gaskets, etc., all still available?

20. I sure hope I can find all the right stuff!:) :confused: :D

21. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

legendary find. Hopefully we will all be this lucky at some point in our lives. screw sleeping in on saturdays im going to yard sales .:D

22. ian

ian

23. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

It would be easier to watch the paper to see who died and see if they were into old cars then go pay a visit to the spouse.

25. SORTA HI JACKING HERE
    at a recent swap meet i overhead two older(80's)gents saying hi to each other one said "haven't seen you since such and such's funeral'
    the other said" no.thats right... seems we get to see ol friends at wakes and swap meets ..."
    the first guy says " thats a great idea i'll have a swap meet at my wake... more guys will come and i'll unload all my stuff" ..
    the second guy asks him
    " say...how ya feeliing today cuz there is some parts you have i want right away .. so i can get this current project on the road....

true

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

27. GARY?

GARY?

Incredible!!!
    I thought a "filcoolator" for 25 bucks was a deal. I done been chumped. BIG TIME.
    Whoever thinks going to garage sales is a waste of time
    "sucks cock by choice": - Tom Nuttle

28. hotdamn

hotdamn

GAWD DAMMIT MACKAL!!!

how in the fuck?

this is my andy warhol 15 minutes of fame,

now grant it by association only...

but this is close enough.

29. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

If it had been me, it would have gone like this:

Found the heads, looked in my wallet at the $27 and told the lady I had to run to the ATM machine for the $300. Run and get the cash and return to see your grinnin' ass sticking them in the trunk!

Nice score ya got there, here in El Paso you would never find that. I'll be in NC tomorrow - I know what I'll be doing before the flight back on Friday...