Register now to get rid of these ads!

April Fools '08 Banger Meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrod, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Picked up my Banger this weekend. Looks like your typical forgotton 4 banger that somebody was trying to use as a piece of machinery. Who knows wha the inside looks like, the is a hole broken/rusted in the top of the waterjacket? I will pull it when it dries out around here.

2. 4-banger

4-banger
    from Tucson

Anyone?

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is a pic of the combustion chamber. It is a hemi but the valves are not angled like a Chrysler.
    It's a Frick head. Poor quality. Small ports, Small valves, all bearing surfaces soft. Two of the rocker pivot lube holes were not working (not drilled thru). I had to replace 80% of the vavle train after only 150 miles. don't waste your time with this one.

Attached Files:

4. I have been busting my butt trying to get A on the road. I installed a V-8 tranny in the car behind the stock engine, hopefully will get the rear in back in the car soon

Attached Files:

5. Thanks mate! Got the bug real bad now. Wanna fitted my counterweighted crank in to an A block with larger valves and start making a supercharger intake....

6. Dropthumbs

Dropthumbs

Hello Fellow Bangers,
    Spring is finally here and the newest version of the speedster is up and running. Had a casting break on the original water pump and slashed the radiator open at the tank. New pump (leakless) and fixed radiator took about 2 weeks to procure and install. I seem to have a slipping clutch problem. Trans shifts well with little or no grinding, but in second and third gears there is a "catch up" for lack of a better word.....; goes into gear, clutch releases, car goes and then ther is a feeling like an automatic transmission, a "shift" and then full engagement. I have a new clutch and throw out bearing ready to go, but am wondering if I should go with the V8 pressure plate and 20lb lightening of the flywheel. I read in an article that the V8 clutch should only be used if you have a counter-balanced crank. Any advice? I have really gotten a lot out of this forum and want to thank everyone who has offered their good advice.

Attached Files:

7. Rizhto

Rizhto

Hi folks

I spent the weekend cleaning up the old smithy, where several old cars had been dismantled. I did found a lot of parts for my -28 Chevy. On the way home I visited older fellow who gave me a carburetor. I had earlier said to him that I'm looking for old downdrafts. It was not a Strommy, but a Zenith 30VM. But it was brand-new! This carburetor is a replacement carburetor for Austin Commercial, so it doesn't have the acceration pump. My question is that how essential the pump is for the function of the old banger? I've seen pictures of Ford 4bangers with dual updraft Zeniths and as far as I know, these doesn't have the pumps. I've been planing a set of progressively linked duals to the Chevy four. Of course I could use this as a secondary carb in the set.

8. The Zenith up-drafts don't have an acceleration pump but they do have an accceleration enrichment circuit, which achives the same thing.

I would be very surprised if your Austin Zenith doesn't have some sort of enrichment circuit in it.

9. Weird....

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thats what i was thinking
    hows that hooked together?

11. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Oldisgood....excellent post, thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Well done on the A diamond block score. Got one myself, an excellent block.
    Have you got a picture of the Rochester carb? Sounds interesting...

12. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

It does look weird, but the AA bellhousing is about 7" shorter than a stocker & so are great for using for trans swaps.
    I'm guessing it has been centred and new holes drilled in the AA 'housing....

13. It kinda makes sense. How else would you put a '39 'box in your 'A' in the 40's?!?!

When did the aluminium adaptors first become available? 50's? 60's?

14. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Can't you just about squeeze a '39 gearset into a B trans? Maybe that was the way, back then.
    Dunno, very interesting though....

15. Anyone got any experiences with supercharging a banger motor?

Or at least any pics

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

ForEverFour,

I saved this pic off the HAMB a long time ago. But to demonstrate how little I know about it, the title in my Photobucket account is "Mystery Car."

[​IMG]

-Dave

17. You can put a '39 gear-set in a 'B' 'box, but you still lose your pedals and wishbone mount with the fitting of the 'B' 'box.

With the conversion above you still have your wishbone mount.

The more I look at it, the more it makes sense. I'd like to see the other side to get a better idea of how the two have been mated.

Any chance of a pic Oldisgood?

[​IMG]

18. TV

TV

ARTIKI, yes you can put 39 gear sets into a B box. I did one for my 32 5 Wnd. with a 29 tooth cluster. I have 7:50-16 and the 29 tooth cluster really helps getting away. It sure makes driving the Banger nice.--TV

19. How would the pedals mount on that cut-off tranny? I don't see a post sticking out for the pedals to mount. I bought my 39 trans adapter fro ACR, worked excellent, very easy to install and everything works like factory. For 400.00 bucks it should :D

20. Elrod

Elrod

21. Good spot.

The pedal mount boss should be directly above the clutch arm. There is no evidence of the boss being there.

Does the 'AA' have a different pedal set-up?

22. That looks a lot like the kit I bought, my kit also came with the wishbone hook up (for 32-up case), and my E-brake is the later A (on the side of the tower). I like your idea, looks very early! Nice conversion!!!

[​IMG]

23. Gaters

Gaters

Sheesh, I was beginning to think no one cared. [sniffle]

24. Rizhto

Rizhto

Great, that explains the other jet in the bottom of the chamber. Now I only need to find another one. :D
    I just wonder how the circuit is controlled?

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

On the AA's, the pedal shaft came out of the trans itself, rather than the bellhousing. The trans is longer because it has the extra 'granny' gear.
    I used an AA 'housing when adapting the Volvo trans to my banger and had to fabricate a pedal mount. I made one similar to the one shown above but also braced it at the left hand side as there was some flex when depressing both the brake and clutch together.

26. BITCHIN!
    Would really like to find out some more info on this one.

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

In reference to the two A banger-to-V8 tranny conversions above, anybody know if the bellhousing bolt pattern on an 8n tractor motor is the same as a model A?? I happen to know where there is a 41 ford pickup that came with the little 4 banger that has a factory adapter behind it to mount to a V8 tranny

28. All I know about the car is that it is in So-Cal and alternates between a four and a flatty V8.

[​IMG]

Supercharged...

[​IMG]

I think this one is from New Zealand.

[​IMG]

Turbo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Retored stocker!

[​IMG]

Mancillas Brothers dragster.

[​IMG]

29. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i was thinking about trying to do one on my car.....
    but im leaning away from it now

i figured mixing the throttle lag on deceleration with mechanical brakes might not be the best thing.....at first
    its always on the back burner though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Have you been talking to Brent?!?!:D

All the modern centrifugal supercharger set-ups and turbo set-ups are run all around the engine bay and through inter-coolers all leading to very long intake lengths.
    Do you see any of them suffering from throttle lag?