Register now to get rid of these ads!

April banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Apr 1, 2009.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i guess we start here & see where they put it .
    mine is finally done except for an ignition cable . yahooooooooooo !
    long winter for sure ...................... steve

2. A-zonie

A-zonie
    from Mesa, AZ

Working on getting the latest engine from Taylor with a Winfield head ready to go into my coupe. It's a problem however since the weather has been great so I tend to work for a short period of time and then take a 'test drive' even though the engine I'm working on sits in transport dolly. I'll get there!

3. Elrod

Elrod

Drove the coupe last night and it's running strong, but the coupe will be getting some more love after the Lone Star Roundup to make it a little easier to drive. I'm getting tired of needing 3 hands to throttle up, operate the spark steer and brake when coming to a stop light. Also, mufflers will be in the cards soon as well to mellow out the sound.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. Getting closer on the roadster, going to the Portland swap meet to look for some banger goodys this weekend :D

Had the coupe in a car show so I had to get it all cleaned/tuned up. She runs great and has awesome power. Seems to do 65 with ease and barley any throttle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. andyg

andyg

chris,
    cool rides man....what's been done to your coupe motor?
    andyg

6. Thanks a lot,
    It's a "B" engine with a counterbalanced crank, lightened flywheel, Winfield SU-1R cam, Dual 81's, header, Winfield 6.1:1 head and a Mallory Distributor. It's mated to a 37-38 Ford three speed and stock "A" rear end. Has all kinds of power compared to the stock stuff. All the stock brakes, engine and tranny are now in my roadster project.

7. andyg

andyg

any utube video of the engine running? i would love to here the su-1r cam, etc in action. any port work on the block or any combustion chamber changes to the head? I wasn't impressed with the casting of my winfield 6:1. looks pretty ugly in the chambers. what kind of adaptor did you use for the tranny? i would like to do the same to mine...or maybe put the later gears into my B case.
    andyg

8. I don't have any really good video, I just got the thing running/driving really well. My Head looked good, but I have heard of others getting a pretty crummy casting. Valves and chambers are stock, just a "bolt together" engine :D

I want to build a pretty healthy B sometime, go with inserts and do some port work, but gotta wait until budget allows.

9. OC Mike

OC Mike

Finally got to tearing down the rail. Broke it last June at the Antique Nationals. Time to get the crankshaft and flywheel to Taylor engine.
    [​IMG]

10. andyg

andyg

does it have a nice lope to it? does it sound anything like 4bangertroy's coupe that's on utube search under "banger hill climb"? his name is troy something...jones i think but not sure....from pheonix, az

11. andyg

andyg

chris,

that last one was for you and by the way....where did you buy that head. i bought mine from red's headers.
    andy

12. Yeah, it lopes really good, the whole car shakes back and forth at idel. It seems to really build power at higher RPMs, It really takes off once it starts moving. Got the head from Red's as well.

OC Mike- rad lookin rail, what does that thang run time wise??

13. OC Mike

OC Mike

Well, last June before my brother / driver broke it he made a 12.91 pass @ 105 MPH. I think the best pass he ever made in it was 12.17 back at OCIR. We also made a bunch of low to mid 12 pases at Terminal Island before they closed it. Click on the link for a short video.
    http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=MOV03043.flv

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

This might sound a little daft - but whats the distance b/w a banger motor and the right side of the chassis rail, near the front half of the engine.

reason: wanting to now if a late stering box will fit.

Why a late steering box - thats all I've got!!!

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Which Volvo does the 5 speed come from? DONNO they all look the same to me

Maybe Volvo 5-gang on ebay.........:)

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I had my ring-gear shift slightly off my flywheel couple of years ago, so I pulled the car apart to get to it, drifted it back into place and put a few tacks of MIG weld to hold it. Well, the bloody thing shifted again, breaking the welds. I can't be arsed pulling it all apart again this side of the season - even though it's open drive now - so I've drifted it back into place again, through the starter hole this time, and I'll check on it periodically throughout the summer. I'll barely do a 1000 miles on it anyway, now that I've got the tudor as well. I'm going to need to source a better quality ring-gear though, or maybe figure another way of securing it.

The Volvo trans with OD is the M41 which were on '60s Amazons. That what you're after, Bluto?

Only other thing I've done is get some more Flathead Meltdown t-shirts in stock...
    [​IMG]
    If you want one, I can get them Stateside to you for $18, Paypal accepted. I've got large and a few x-large left, so PM me if you want one.

OC Mike, that's a superb looking rail. Tell us more! What head is that?

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Hey guys! I need a little helping identifying this head. I would like to Know approximately what the compression ratio is. The combustion chambers are about 1/2" deep near the plug hole. my dad used to think that it is the 'red' or 'sprint' head. thanks

Attached Files:

18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

heres one more

Attached Files:

19. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Not the "red head" which was 7:1 cr. Yours is later and probably 8:1 or more depending on if it's been milled before

20. Yeah, chambers look pretty shallow

21. Wildfire

Wildfire

Artiki, no XXL's? Us Yanks are a bit on the large side you know! If you can come up with one, consider it bought.

I will drive mine on June 6, 2009. Thanks to the HAMB, I found that a 1983 Honda Accord fuel pump is rated at 2.1 to 2.8 psi. So, one of those is going in to make the pressure for the 94's.

SaltFlatMatt is making a header for me, should have that by the end of the month.

I need a driveshaft, a battery and wiring - then we'll be pretty much good to go!

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The Orange County Model A Ford Club had their Pancake Breakfast last week end. Big turn out. @ 300 Model A's. Here are som Banger focused pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I had to look close at this to see what on earth i was looking at...he is sitting on a couch.... better to drive than veg out in front the box i suppose.
    [​IMG]

24. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Perhaps if the builder asked and got some advice he may have built a better driving car with proper steering geometry and possibly asked a higher price. :D:D:D
    [​IMG]

25. OC Mike

OC Mike

Hey artiki, glad you like it. A little backround on the rail. Dad was a 4ever4 member back in the 50's. He was a Model A nut. He built that rail in late 58 or early 59.
    The engine is a B block, fully counter balance and drilled crank, cylinders bored out to 4.00" Pontiac pistons, not sure on the rods. The overhead is a Joe Gemsa patterned from a Morales Bros. head used in dirt track racing in the 30's and 40's. It's about 10-1 compression. We used dodge slant 6 rocker arms. Basically, whatever fit and was cheap and plentiful. It is a blast to run!

26. noboD

noboD

OK Crazydaddyo, what's with the dual distributors? Those are Delco distributor caps, like a '16- '17 Dodge Brothers uses.

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

It's a Stutz dual ignition and so far it is the only distributor I've seen used to fire both sets of plugs on a dual plug Rajo head. It is a battery ignition and I am currently trying to set one up with a dual magneto.

28. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Cool stuff as usual. Nothing to report here - just dropping a post in so I can find the thread easier (and add to the archive). ;)

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

still have to do my head gasket but I got my new tires today 550-16 front 750-16 rear I hope I like them on the car.

thanks for keeping the thread on the main page
    later Bill

30. PG

PG

All of you are an inspiration to my project. Right now, however, she's sitting in the driveway with a nice knock to her when she runs. :(