Register now to get rid of these ads!

April Bang-er thread 2011 OOOGGGAAA BOOOGAAA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, Apr 1, 2011.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

I'd say either the Holly "94" or Stromberg "97" as far as two bbl carbs go. There were quite a few after market intakes and such made for these carbs. Stromberg "81's" would also work, especially for more stock Model A banger....Stromberg "48's" might be a bit much. I don't know if you could use a Rochester 2G or not though.

As for the single bbl carbs, I think you could get away with Zenith 28's or 228's, Carter YF's, etc but I'm not really sure.

Maybe someone with a little more experience with singles on a Model A can chime in?

2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I think it was Jim Brierly how said all carbs are dumb they don't know what engine is under them.

3. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

That works I got a 94 7RT carb and with the Red deer swap meet at the end of the month I'll see about finding an intake.

4. I read in Secrets a fellow got good results with a Jeep "F" head replacement 1bbl carb(Solex) JC Whitney P/N CM815678.

Mike

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to chime in late

Wanderlodge has need a lot of work lately and we've been attending to it.

You gotta take care of your house.

6. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

Here's kind of a semi-technical question: I bought a used Scalded Dog intake manifold and am going to run it with a set of Red's headers. Since the headers have a plate that goes the whole distance of the intake and exhaust holes, and the intake manifold bolts over that plate, shouldn't there be some kind of a gasket between the intake manifold and the exhaust plate to make sure the vacumm will suck the air/gas?

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

yes... I just cut a gasket up so it fits under the intake

8. Bodger45

Bodger45

Can some one tell me what size the oil passages that go to the main bearings is on a stock b block are? The George Riley racing scrapbook says they would open the front and rear up to 1/4" and the center up to 5/16". I'd like to know what the stock size is.
    Thanks, TK

I have a model b diamond block with a c crank that I'm trying to find what all has been done to it.

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I just went out and measured one of mine. They are all .175" dia.

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Does anyone know the CFM ratings of the Winfield "S" carbs?

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks, I can't wait to tear into it !!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

12. Bodger45

Bodger45

Thanks CDO that's what mine is. I like your new avatar pic!

13. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

[​IMG] well I happened to score a fish carb for a banger today

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

[​IMG]

I have a fish some day I will get around to making a intake for it.
    If you ever would like to sell it let me know. Two fishes are always better then one

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Brake up date... The 32s are one the back of my car. I just need to put a little heat to the leaver to make to line up with the stock brake rods.

Yes Bill I had to trim the arms a bit and space the arms out with a thin washer
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Just bumped into this pic i took at a show last year, no info on the car or set up just thought i'd share.............

[​IMG]

17. Magnus B

Magnus B

Hello Bangers

I'm working on a new engine for my coupe. It's a model B and I will be running a Weiand head. But the combustion chambers is model A style which means I need to run the model A gasket. As you know the model A gasket don't work on the mode B block. So I need to either weld up the combustion chambers B-style or plug the problematic cooling holes.

My first try will be to plug the holes. I can always weld the head if the plugs fails. How do you plug the holes. I was thinking tapping the holes with a 1/8" NPTF tap and use plugs or make my own plugs. The grind the top deck. Will this work? If I make my own plugs what material should I use? Hard or soft? Brass? Make plugs from bolts?

Or if someone just would sell me a Cyclone head with the proper combustion chamber shape :rolleyes:

Also I e-mailed Snyder's asking them about their inserted B connecting rods. But the have not replied for some reason. Does anyone here know the big end bore one those rods? I want to know if I can use their inserts for my HAL rods, which have a big end bore of 2.035" and I need some thick inserts for using them on a model B crank.

Thanks,
    Magnus

18. try getting ahold of antique engine rebuilding in skokie Illinois
    antiqueenginerebuilding.com
    i think he makes inserted b rods also
    tk

19. flyin-t

flyin-t

Holy Christ, you're the man Dan. Great story behind it and I can't wait to see the HAL in person.

[​IMG]

20. Anecdotal but have read somewhere Ed Winfield said he figured a "B" was around 120. This is from my addled brain. I once started a project even got as far as the base but need to make the individual adapters for each throttle bores. The tech asked me how many inches of mercury was used on the strombergs so we could compare but I don't have that number. Any accurate guesses? I only have 4 sizes left, largest is a "CC"

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For those few who realize that Ford was not the only manufacturer of "Bangers" Here is proof of progress on the Dodge Bros. Chevy V8 front pan and seal meets '26 Dodge to allow harmonic dampener installation. This is what happens when energetic young HAMBers show up on my door and insist I move my butt out to the shop and let them loose. Thanks

Attached Files:

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    I found this info about testing flow on carbs:

"The basis for most cubic feet per minute (C.F.M.) air flow ratings such as those used by Holley and other carburetor manufacturers was established long ago by the Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.).

Standard test vacuum was 1-1/2 inches of mercury for 4 barrel carburetors and 3 inches of mercury “Vacuum” for 1 barrel and 2 barrel carburetors. This was reasonable as it was about what a passenger car would develop. Of course, for the numbers to mean anything, tests would have to be run at a certain temperature and barometric pressure. Or be corrected to standard temperature and pressure. If not otherwise stated, ratings in cubic feet per minute are at standard temperature and pressure. "

23. ebtm3

ebtm3

SBC crank dampener's come two diameters, and "internally balanced" and "externally balanced". The later refer to the engine crank balancing I'm sure, and of course with a banger "internal" would be the one that we would want. What year (and size) are the ones that most banger owners use. I realize that some machine work will be necessary, and this is no problem to me.

Herb

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Bit of a story here. For my Dodge I bought a Pioneer Performance Street Harmonic Damper from Summit in the 6.75 od internal balance. It sat around here for a while before I actually got the front cover (Seen Above) done enough that I decided to try it and see about honing it for fit. It fell on. My crank snout was 1.247. The dampener hole was 1.249. Hmmm. So I call Summit. Tech guy tells me that 1.249 ID is within spec. and that .001 is very, very small and any time you can hit within .005 your close enough. So I call Crower, the manufacturer of the crank, and confirm the 1.247 was the correct size for the snout. So I call BHJ Racing Dampeners and they confirm SBC snouts are 1.247 and I buy another new dampener. Then I call Summit back and demand a supervisor. I get a more senior moron who repeats that .005 is plenty close and what do I expect. They are not going to open all their dampeners and measure them to find one that fits. After a while they do agree to take it back and refund my money. But I really did not expect to talk to such maroons on the tech line.

25. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Just like Rich Fox I like to let you Ford guys look at somthing else fora change.
    I bought these a month ago but didn't take pictures. They are made buy a Gent
    in Oregon. He's on the HAMB but doesn't post much.

Here you Go!

Just for fun I thru in somthing I picked up at an Auction... It's Ford Related.

Jeff

Attached Files:

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I thought the intakes might fit a Willys. But I don't have any idea about thr other thing.

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Air compressor head for a model A.

[​IMG]

28. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Your both right, Intakes for the Willys 134 Go-Devil, And a Gordon Smith AC Head.

Yuu win................................. More pictures!

Jeff

Attached Files:

29. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Anyone know what high comp. heads were available before WWII?

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Boy Crazzzzz

That's really big head:D