Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** APRIL 2016 BANGER MEET - DON'T BE FOOLED BY SUBSTITUTES ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Blacknred I really like what your doing there looks great hope to see more as you go

2. PhredH

PhredH

Model A Quick Change

I am assembling one of Derek's Model A quick change units and see an upcoming challenge.

The 2-1/8" pinion adjusting and lock nuts are recessed into the quick change housing and are not accessible with the normal spanner or pipe wrench.

If any one has assembled one of these units, I would appreciate any tips or tricks on how this was handled.

If you made some special tooling for this, might it be available for loan or rent?

-Thanks in advance
    Phred Hollister
    847-312-0926 cell
    [email protected]

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

lucky guy

4. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Phred,
    I found a socket Proto p1901 that fit or you could make one like the one I have for cam nuts. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459820228.808091.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459820246.242240.jpg

5. After a few hours searching and reading here, I am going for ignition parts now. Have a pertronix module and coil on order along with smaller jets. I am going from 0.45 to 0.40 on the jets just to see what happens. Also going to double check the internals and float level setting. Went through the lines and filters yesterday and all were clean and clear. I also have neglected to verify timing setting. The only thing I found definitely bad on the carbs during rebuild was the front

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

good price

8. Yea like everyone else I'm sure, wish they were closer.

9. Any on here run there stock wheels? Mine are spent and am on the fence as to wether to opt for some 16s and new tires or just buy new tires for my 19s.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

A coupe.jpg depends on what you want to accomplish . 16" radials give you a better ride , better stopping .
    more traction & more rubber on the ground . I have 16's

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here's my 1941 Allen Engine Analyzer. Found it NOS at the BIG THREE SWAP MEET.

Just thought you guys might like the photo

ALLEN 3-4.jpg allen close.jpg

The right old tool for the job

Crazydaddyo and winduptoy like this.
  12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

now that is a great find !

13. ebtm3

ebtm3

14. Well V4F I want all that you listed and your stance, lol. I guess the search for 16s is on.

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

just a car of my thoughts . old ideas ................... thanks .
    my motor etc is where I put my $$$$

16. I'm not a Stromberg guy but most experienced carb tuners will tell you that you only want to go 2 or 3 sizes. A firm rule I learned the hard way when trying to solve a mystery is to not change more than one thing at a time. How did you synchronize the carbs? I had one of those distributors recurved. It had 18 degrees stock. If you have the timing "key" you could get maybe 22 23 degrees. I set them to where the engine just doesn't kick back when cranking.

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm running two 81's on my OHV banger. Keep in mind that most carburation problems are ignition.
    Verify the timing, I'm running a Mallory with 10 degrees initial.
    You can have multiple problems with the carburetors and divide that X 2.
    Stock main jets were #45 I believe and I am running #42's at 6500 to 7000' elevation. 43's should be good for 5000'
    They don't like more than 2.5 psig fuel pressure. Got to check it with a good gauge. They will flood with fuel pressure above 2.5 psi.
    Next thing is float setting. It needs to be The dry float level setting is 5/16-inch plus or minus 1/32-inch measured without a gasket.
    The idle discharge circuit provides fuel from idle to 20-25 mph. Then the main jets start participating. The power valve is mechanically pushed open on these carbs, by the accelerator pump rod. It pushes it open beyond 2/3 throttle or so to provide fuel on a wide open throttle. I can't recall (I am always going to write this stuff down) what PV I'm running, but I believe it is a 62.
    Spend some time thinking about this while you are on the crapper and see if it makes sense.
    I'd start with ignition timing and fuel pressure....
    Good luck,
    Larry

burnzy37 likes this.
  18. Yeah, before I go futzing around with the jets and anything else, the ignition is getting sorted out this week. just waiting on all the parts to show up now. Pertronix 2, coil, wires, and w18(518) plugs. Fresh wiring and clean of all grounds too. If that doesn't get me anywhere I'll order a set of maybe .43 or .42 jets and step up in that increment before jumping to the .40s. Haven't fully synchronized the carbs yet. Need to borrow a uni sync tool from a friend.

19. This happened last night. New brakes, steering,and a host of other upgrades planned for the coming weeks. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459953931.412643.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459953944.296328.jpg

Dannerr and Garagekulture13 like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

next box

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

bad thoughts

22. You OK? V4F

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yep , thanks . just type before I think ! .................... steve
    actually I really appreciate the thought

24. Ok good. Thought you snapped and we might have to send the men in white coats!!:D:D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yep , if needed they would be the ones ............ steve

26. checking in....cranked my 8N - dang she purrs and my 2N still holding 40 lbs oil pressure - to move around today so I could mow with a 25 year old Murry....

27. Off subject but I'd like to see a pic of the Murry.

28. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Anyone know where I can get throttle linkage for my burns intake. I need the bell crank arm that bolts to the side if it

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Speedway has a lot of linkage do-dads including bell crank arms.

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

i have a lot but i'm far away

Fly'n Kolors likes this.