Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** APRIL 2016 BANGER MEET - DON'T BE FOOLED BY SUBSTITUTES ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have been the brunt of people "Over Stating" items condition too. It hurts me on several levels. I'm sorry to hear your become a victim as well.

I have a pressure pump to install IRONTITE. It its the best product for sealing old parts.

Some of the items I work on have valve seats cast into the head with a section that makes them un-machineable They leak from behind ...... this is only stuff that seals these head before becoming US$12,000 scrap!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ive been warned about internal leaks that only press testing will show . thin casting inside of some .
    bummer you got one .

ok joe , nuff showin off ! LOL

3. RussTee,
    I am sorry to hear about your situation with the Rutherford, unfortunately it is a fact of life with these motors.

I too have been sold a bill of goods in the past and we all learn from these experiences. I hope that the water has not damaged the machine work that was done on the rest of the motor, especially the bores.

It is a fact of life that these castings were made in a time of limited knowledge and being short runs often did not have much refinement in the patterns or techniques. Even some of the parts made today have flaws, the GOOD reputable people have the castings sealed before the machining and then inspected after.

My personal experience was a mess, race motor, brand new. I fired it up dry to make sure the timing and injection was close. I then added water, heated up the tank, fired up the motor and turned on the coolant circ pump. When the pressure started to rise against the thermostat, it shut down the motor. That is how bad the leaks were. This a head sold to me "ready to run".

I found many leaks, behind valve seats, valve guides and thin walls of the ports. Welding was out of the question here so I did something else. I took the head and plugged the water passage holes with plates and applied a vacuum to the water jacket. I used a very powerful vac generator, one for pulling down carbon fiber setups, about 25-28".
    This allowed me to put JB Weld in the leaks, it would pull in until the flaw was filled and would eventually seal up.

As a race head it sucks, not enough airflow and the valves are not correct, but it made several passes over 140 mph at ElMirage before being set aside. Now that I write this, when I put it on a motor to run it will leak again.

All the best of Luck, J

4. LOL,,,,
    I was just posting pictures so whomever was wondering about the V8 pressure plate, would see the size and bolt pattern!:p

Now about thin blocks! That's what happened to me! I bout the B engine from a H.A.M.B. member in Sac. Ca. (not saying names) But, The engine was supposed to be a new rebuilt Model B with C crank from a 32. He didn't say anything about the exhaust port being thin and water leaking out the manifold! (now this engine is only good for an Overhead conversion!)
    Joe

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Guys Pressure seal everything apart and on the bench, Irontite works on Aluminum Range Rovers! In the real junk I have to work on stuff seeps THRU THE OUTSIDE of blocks.

I also have a real Magniflux machine ....... and a black light too. CRACKS are everywhere and anywhere. I seal off all water holes in heads and force the hot mixture in with a lot of pressure after pumping it around. Close the exit and then the entry point and leave it. Next day see if the pressure has dropped. If it has I do it again.

6. Yep, it is more important to start with pressure at initial inspection.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  8. Jiminy

Jiminy

9. Cjcolbyjack

Cjcolbyjack

image.jpeg
    would you say this looks like a stromberg?

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Babe magnet at Pebble Beach. Bob DSCF4429.JPG