Register now to get rid of these ads!

Applying undercoating over surface rust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm in the process of finishing off the trunk area of the Nash. There is some surface rust that I just want to apply either POR15 or undercoating.

My thinking here is that the undercoating would provide a better surface so things don't slide around in the trunk. Can you apply undercoating over surface rust and it will seal? Or will it just peel off later.

Can I apply undercoating over POR15? I could POR15 it first then apply undercoating I guess...

2. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Kill the rust first. OSPHO, or something similar.

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Results vary with POR. Where possible/practical it's always better to clean to bare metal. Best option would be to media blast or mechanically/manually clean, treat with phosphoric acid(don't breath too much of the fumes), then prime and paint with good materials. Epoxy and/or etching primer are good(don't breath those fumes either).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Like said before, try and neutralize the rust first. I know i've seen undercoating with a rust inhibitor in it, but I can't remember the friggin name of the product now...

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The undercoating will peel if it's applied over rust.
    I would sand, apply a couple coats of rust reformer and then spray on the undercoating.

6. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Undercoating no likey rust, you've got to remove or neutralize first.

7. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Why would you want to put undercoating in the trunk ?

Everything will get fup duck ;)

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What they said. Covering rust doesn't do anything except allow you to forget about it until it works its way somewhere else.

-Dave

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

Dont put undercoating in the trunk. Paint, or a roll on bed liner product would be much better.

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I was thinking that it would be a good surface so things won't slide around. I don't want to put carpet back there. Maybe I should be thinking of using bedliner instead?

11. zzford

zzford

Go with the bedliner. Hot weather will soften up the undercoat and make a big mess on anything you keep back there.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Undercoating will not ever really harden and it will stink. Don't use it in the trunk.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Use the POR15, and follow their directions, wire brush all the loose surface rust away, and you can put undercoat or bed liner over it, it will neutralize the rust and bond to the metal. Though like 1971BB427 said the undercoat will stink.

14. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Exactly zman, I used por-15, 6 years ago on my 55 and I used it inside , underneath and anywhere else I could get to and it's never flaked or chipped off. Great stuff but unless you use a resperator DO NOT SPRAY IT. Aiborne it's lethal crap that burns the crap out of your lungs. ( I found out the hard way) Use a foam brush and alittle goes a long ways

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Don't use undercoating, the rust will keep festering away underneath. And, anything you put in the trunk will get covered with tar.

Paint it with POR15, then some kind of finish paint, Zolatone is traditional for trunks.

http://www.zolatone.com/stories/the-zolatone-story/

16. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The rusting process requires oxygen/air. If oxygen/air is sealed off from existing rust, no additional rusting will occur. But..... as was already mentioned, the problem is; rust does not provide a good surface for coatings to adhere to.

17. J53

J53
    from WI

POR15 over the rust (follow the directions!) then just as it flashes and is tacky (but more towards the dry side) spray it with two part epoxy bedliner. It'll be tough as nails. Most coatings don't like to stick to fully cured POR15 and the bedliner I wanted to use was too expensive to risk it so I did it this way and am very impressed with how it came out. Did the entire underside of my '53 and oh, did the trunk floor too.

18. get rid of the rust first......