Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Appliance wires disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, Jan 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I have a chance to pick up some appliance wires for a steal. Anyone know if 14x7 will clear calipers on a 59 Chevy with 80s metric calipers?

Please don't tell me to measure as I don't have the wheels here and they are 2 hours away. I know the original 14" Chevy wheels won't clear calipers but what about appliance wires?

Thanks Hambers!

2. I've used appliance wires back in the day and I honestly don't think 14" wires will work. HRP

3. They should fit, but the only way to tell for sure will be to measure/test-fit them on your car....

One thing you can check; look at the clearance you have with your existing wheels. If you have 14" wheels, how much room do you have? 1/8" or more, they should go. If you have 15" wheels, you're looking for 5/8" at least.

4. The ID of the rim is not going to clear your metric calipers with a 14" wheel, so unless you have lots of offset the wheels are not going to clear. A wire wheel appliance or otherwise if it is the same size is not going to be any larger in dia then what you already have.

5. trollst

trollst

Well, I have a set of western bullets on my T, 14 inch up front, made long before calipers came out. No way would they fit, so, ground the ears off the calipers to gain 1/8 inch, take your time, don't get the calipers too hot and ruin the seal, but depending on your situation, there's always a way.

6. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Thanks for the reply's gentlemen. I currently have 15 inch astro supremes on the car and was going to pick up these for a different look when I got bored.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

factory 14" rims were used with factory disc brakes in 60's, etc. online ads for 14" rims of all types are available pretty cheap - people going to bigger stuff.

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The 78-87 g-body cars (El Camino, Monte Carlo, Regal etc) came with 14" wheels along with S-10 trucks and they came with the metric calipers. Appliance Wires were made during the disc brake era so they should work if you're using the G-body rotor.