Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Appleton Spotlight question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FASI, Jun 5, 2021.

1. FASI

FASI

I am disassembling an S-112 and down to the cast cradle that holds the shell with three rivets. I can't see a way to remove the pressed on chrome ring and the plastic fitting from the cradle so it can be plated. Pictured is the cradle and the chrome ring. It is apparently pressed into the blind hole on the bottom of the cradle. Can't get it plated with these two pieces attached. Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

That's called a collector ring assembly, and it should come out using a hook tool to catch it from underneath. Put the tool through the hole the wire goes through and pull the insulator up some. Once it comes up enough to get the tool under the center, work it up and out from there. Be careful doing this, the insulators are usually brittle and will chip easily.
    Clean and lube things up first and it should be able to be worked out of the housing fairly easily.

Good luck!

Special Ed, LOST ANGEL and loudbang like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think that's a pressed on chrome ring, it's just the nice chrome edge of the cast base that wasn't corroded by air. As Doublepumper said, the plastic should come straight up and out.

Special Ed likes this.