Register now to get rid of these ads!

Apparently people used to be skinnier...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Apr 30, 2011.

1. My grandaughter was over this weekend. She is 8 years old and wanted to sit on my motorcycle.....then she asked me a question " When I grow up, if you are still alive, can I learn to ride your motorcycle and race it for you?" So, one more reason to take care of my body and live a few more years...........

2. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

that's what i mean, i LIKE driving around in a stock tall T , but not for very
    long, hell i can just about adjust the passenger mirror from a sitting position.
    for me it's a 1 person car, and mayhaps my dog to. so i sold it to a friend,
    he's 5'3 and it fits him like it was ment to.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

YOu mean eating while you walk! I thought about writing my own diet book, that just says that and to eat only salad, soup, and fish and walk 5 miles a day.

I agree with most people here. Im trying to go the opposite as society, i reuse as much as possible, i have a garden and animals, i always have chores and car chores so i dont watch much tv.

4. Thank god it's still ok to discriminate against and make fun of fat people, am I right!!! (high five)

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  5. It's OK to laugh at ourselves, skinny people, not so much .....

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too was a big fucker in junior high. 6'1" and 190#. Now I'm a bit over 6'2" and 225#. I was right around 250# but a bad back and a desire to be as pain free as possible changed things. No soda pop, fast food is poison, less sugar in my coffee, no more excess late night snacks. I try also to avoid red meat. I feel like shit afterwards and worse the next morning. Now that i got rid of that 25# I can handle tooling around in a Model A, just not for long. Even these big Packards I work on seem a bit tight. Genius that I am I'm building a Chevy AD pickup as part of my collection. No stock seat for me.

Axiomatic to discuss eating habits these days. They reflect a bad upbringing in many cases and show the lack of dicipline that the generation behind me is afflicted with. We may be better in a lot of ways but not this. I agree with picture reference of "try to find the fat guy...". Perfect.

Oh BTW randaddy, it's OK to laugh at skinny people too. :D

7. 21tat

21tat

It's hard to lose weight sitting here looking at the hamb!

8. Try getting in a stock 31 model A. The seat is in the middle of the door opening. I could barely get my foot between the A pillar and the front of the seat. Then once you get in there the wheel is in your face! I feel like a giant in those cars and I am only 5 10.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I know what you mean, Im also 5'-10" about 165- 170..and when i got in my A tudor when i first bought it, the first thing thru my mind was, "this seating deal isnt going to get it when it becomes a hot rod"

10. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

FAA used to consider 160# the standard weight of one passenger.
    When figuring take off weight and balance, it was safe to assume there were as many passengers over 160# as the same number and amount of wt. under.
    I have no idea about today.
    I wish I could recall the standard luggage weight.
    Tom S. in Tn.

11. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

I got out of high school in 1960 at 6'4" and 245. thought I was a big man. Left Texas for school and work for a few years and when I came back, went to a tall Texan event--not only was I the smallest man, but most of the women were taller than me too.

12. slammed

slammed

'Schwing!" on the tall chick's!

13. Spiderville nailed it..... everybody did smoke back then. Smoking replaces eating and keeps the weight down. The strange thing with the modern girth is that people are living longer than they used to. I know medical science is a major factor, but general body health must have something to do with it. Maybe coffee, chocolates and maccas are good for you after all? :confused:

14. smoked1

smoked1

MMMMMMMMMM! I like roach coach burritos.

15. Paul Y

Paul Y

What an interesting snapshot of the world.

I am 6'1" and weight about 190lb's. I used to run 15-20 miles per week go to the gym 2-3 times a week and try and be as health as possible.

Problem was I would wake up in the morning and just ACHE! Hips, knees, feet you name it, I felt like a 90 year old trying to get out of bed! At the height of my fitness regime (which lasted for about 10 years) I was around 170lb's.

I am still pretty active, have put on weight but feel sooooo much better. No aches and pains and can now get out of bed without going owwwwwww!

For comparison my eldest son is just 17, 6'4" and still growing and weighs no more than 125lb soaking wet.....

P.

16. You guys that are drinking diet sodas, or using artificial sweeteners containing aspartame, or if you are consuming a lot of soy products (excluding soy sauce), STOP RIGHT NOW!

First, aspartame is chemically near-identical to RAT poison, and causes untold numbers of bad things to humans (renal failure, diabetes, heart problems. etc), PLUS it has zero effect on weight loss. Second, soy products ("Silk" fake milk, tofu, and LOTS of processed foods out there) that have not been fermented (everything but soy sauce) contains a lot of things that mimic female estrogen - VERY bad for women and EXTREMELY bad for men!

You want to be able to fit in that new rod you are building, here are two places to start that guarantee success and actually be healthy at the same time.

17. slammed

slammed

Damned Straight!! Turn's the brain to swiss cheese!

18. i'm still a size 30 pant waist... but i wear a size 36 because it feels better. i'd probably go to the gym more if they put a bakery in the lobby.

19. I'm a 34, but 36 feels so good, I buy 38. And I agree with the bakery in the gym, I mean a guy needs incentive to go, right?

20. we weren't fat because we were out working on our cars, not talking about them on the internet lol.. ==as i pat my big belly==

21. damm this thread made me hungry so i'm off to wendy's late night!:rolleyes::D been a big dude since i was 12 6' 6" 275 so i''m used to it but add 200lbs to that and it sucks (medical issues and micky d's). i can tell ya about food being i install and service food processing equipment and the processed food is killing us and not slowly, i beat cancer in 92' and asked to doc why at 31 did i get cancer? he replied "POOR DIET AND STRESS"!:eek::eek: no pitty parade here just life facts!!!

22. Kill me now!!!:rolleyes::D Ya can't eat any of the good stuff any more??!!:eek:

Seriously, good for you! I need to follow your example!

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im 5.5 at about 133 lbs.....but we all now we eeuropeans are way thinner..ahah...cept the Brits maybe, but that aint europe. ;)

24. If I needed any confirmation that the way forward is to eat a little be less and move around a lot more, I got it this year. I had a perinial abscess last October that wouldn't heal up despite 4 operations. Turned out that it was linked to a bowl perforation that they missed. For nearly six months I had to lie on the sofa - normally I'd be looking after my two year old daughter and walking 3 to 5 miles per day. No time to eat cookies and watch TV! When I was laid up I put on 30lbs.

They have now found and sorted the problem - I have the seton suture removed later this month and I will be able to get active again. I'm quite happy to be a little bit over weight (over 50 and too thin makes you look old and haggard) but 2 and a half stones is too much.

25. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

i dont know what you slobs are talkin about, I'm fuggin ripped

26. Modern drugs are what is keeping people living longer.

27. I still eat any and everything that doesn't eat me. My doc says I got the metabolism of a 12 year old.

Well gota go I am getting hungry again.

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

when i got married in 78 i was at 130lbs now 33 yrs later and a crippling bike wreck im at 200lbs.i smoke 3 packs aday and have a coke in my hand all most all the time im addicted to my pain meds im 55 yrs old and i work in my shop about 10yrs aday. but i fiqure i wont be doing that much longer!

29. Yep, High Fructose Corn syrup is another. Just about everything you buy has it in it from ketchup, bread, crackers, soft drinks, amost cereals, canned soups etc. Companies use it because it's cheaper than sugar and increases the shelf life of foods. Same calories as sugar but what happens is the body processes it differently-can't remember the exact terminology but it increases glucose so the body goes into calorie storage mode.

When it was instroduced in the early 80's there are charts which show where obesity just shot up. When Japan and Europe banned it the charts show a deep drop in obesity in those countries.

I know 2 fitness trainers and people they work with who have a hard time getting down to their ideal weight even tough they work out and watch what they eat, when the get rid of the HFCS consumption their weight drops.

I started cooking most of my own food and you can't believe how much better you will feel when you get over all that processed food. Processed food makes you feel lethargic.

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems most of us get it. The strain of surviving these days shifts the focus of most people. One good thing about our common interests here on this board is that it can make you reflect on the best of old times. Lean and mean is good...just like a hotrod.