Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AOD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zefa46, Nov 13, 2017.

1. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Pulled the pan off the AOD to change the gear linkage and found this , but cannot see where it came from , have been through loads of google youtube vids of AOD strip / rebuild but cannot see anything like it . Anyone know if it should be there 23584839_748093242061514_667740403_n.jpg

2. Maybe the pan has never been off of the transmission?

Looks like the factory plug for the dipstick tube that gets knocked into the pan on the assembly line.

Just a guess. Too small to be an accumulator or anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Beanscoot likes this.
  3. See if it fits the dipstick filler hole. I seem to recall reading somewhere about someone else finding the same thing, and it was a plug used in factory assembly to keep contaminants out of the pan before the dipstick tube was inserted. It just pushes out into the pan during assembly, and the first time the pan is pulled for a fluid and filter change, it is thrown away. Does this ring true with anyone?

Oops. BurntOutOldMechanic beat me to it.

4. ahshoe

ahshoe

That looks like part of the speedo gear shaft.Had mine apart a few months ago to rebuild it and seems to me that looks like what I had there

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It's the plug for the dipstick hole.
    Only ever fond in a Ford Transmission.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Thank you guys , a freinds just come back with the same thing , only worry now I have an 88 trans that looks like it's never had a oil or filter change .
    came from a Lincoln town car going in my shoebox with a 302

7. Yes, it is for sure a plug for the dipstick tube hole. I have a few in my tool box and have tossed many away over the years. They're found the first time the pan is removed. A lot of people are left wondering what they are.

8. squirrel

squirrel

It'll be fine!

9. deucemac

deucemac

That is a shipping plug that goes in the dipstick hole. They shove the dipstick tube in and that falls into the pan. It is big enough and heavy enough not to get into any moving parts. I can't tell you how many times I've watched someone hold one of those in his hand and stare up, trying to figure out where it came from. I've also seen people clean it and put it back in the pan during a service. I guess they figured if it was in there to begin with, it's supposed to stay there. Toss yours, it will never be missed.

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Do yourself a favor and get a mild shift kit like a B&M for your AOD and their 2500 stall convertor.
    It makes your trans work much better in a light car.
    I used the same transmission in my small block powered Morris Minor. I also went to a 4.11 gear . Because with a 3.00 gear it would lug around town under 55 mph. That was with 295-50-15 tires.
    Still ran great on the highway.

X38 and zefa46 like this.
  11. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Had a few morris minors , have a 53 morris oxford noe putting a 4.3 chevy in , looks like a large minor

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

While you have it out fix one weak link common with the AOD with the Boost valve kit and use their calibration kit it is better than the B&M's http://www.becontrols.com/aod.shtml

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

With the plug in the pan no one has been messing with it,I bought a F150 with slightly dark fluid and was expecting to find the plug and when there was none I started to suspect there was much more miles on it then the 93,000 it showed.

15. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Same plastic dipstick hole plug that Ford has used for decades. I'd stay away from B&M shift correction kits too.

16. WTF really

WTF really

I found the same thing one time. It's just a plug as everyone has said. No biggie your good.

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Of the half dozen AOD's I have installed B&M shift kits in . No problems after many miles.
    So enlighten me Crosley on the error of my ways by installing a B&M shift kit ?