Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AOD trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da dodge brother, Nov 10, 2019.

1. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Any suggestions as to what AOD trans to use with a 390 Ford. Going into a 1963 T- Bird ...

2. tjm73

tjm73

The AOD's with the best parts from the factory are '90-'93. They have the best internals. There are several mods you can do to make them really tough. Is the '63 more or less stock or hot rodded?

After '93 the became computer controlled.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  3. Fits an FE block?

j-jock likes this.
  4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Only with an adaptor!
    SPark

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Call Broader Transmission. They will build the AOD to match your motor/car and how you want to drive it and adapt the Cruis-O bellhousing to the AOD. I run a Broader built AOD in my 352 FE powered '62 Merc, and I absolutely love it, best money I ever spent.

Beware, the shape of the FE bellhousing limits you to a 11" or smaller torque converter (The Stock T.C. was usually 12" or 12.5" in F150's). If your 390 is well built and a bit rowdy, and in that big, heavy 'Bird, you may have a hard time getting a low enough stall speed out of the converter to avoid cooking the tranny fluid at highway speeds. I ran into this problem with a 390 powered F-250, and using the Quicktime AOD to FE bellhousing, never could get a tight enough converter built and ended up putting a C6 back in it.

https://www.broaderperformance.com/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019