Register now to get rid of these ads!

AOD info,not exactly trad,but neither is $4 a gallon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by williebill, Mar 14, 2011.

1. williebill

williebill

I read somewhere,dunno where,that somebody is selling something that allows to to avoid any of the TV cable,electronic gizmos,etc,when swapping an AOD trans.It was light on details,but now I can't find it.Since 98% of my internet is either here or Ebay,thought maybe someone could enlighten me.
    Is there some kind of voodoo that makes this swap easier? I read that it's easy to fry the AOD if it's done incorrectly,and I know that given a 50-50 chance,I'll screw it up.

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think a lot of people are afraid of these because they're not fool-proof like C4s and TH350s. If you get an AOD of the right years, they have no electronic controls. The TV cable needs to be adjusted properly, which means that there is neither any tension nor slack on it at idle. Lokar makes a good cable kit for these. To me it's no different than a Torqueflight, which though generally bullet-proof, will lunch itself without it's mechanical TV linkage.

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

I've also heard of guys doing custom applications to use a light return spring on the exterior of the transmission to return the arm on the tranny to the neutral position. It's a good idea.

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Concur. The Lokar stuff works great, and it really isn't that hard to make work.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

The AOD works well if EVERYTHING is set up properly,been there,done that,too many times.If you are trying to save money at the pump you need to figure in how much the conversion will cost you verses the cost of fuel[can't call it gasoline anymore].An AOD built right will cost $2000.00+,plus a driveshaft,shifter,control cables,trans mount and possibly a cross member.You may see 1-3 mpg increase,maybe,plus the AOD is huge. I'm talking from experience,not second hand info. ROY.

6. Flatman

Flatman

I've got an AOD in my rod and it isn't much trouble to set up. You just hook up a pressure gauge to the TV port of the trans on the right side over the pan rail. You want around 3-5psi at idle, 30-35 psi under moderate acceleration. I used an external return spring down at the TV lever on the trans, as the internal spring isn't strong enough to do it on it's own.
    100_1161.jpg

Flatman

7. 48ford

48ford

I put one in a mustang(69) and it worked out good.
    You will need to make a tranny mount
    But you need to match the rear end. You will need at least 3:55 if you try to run 3:00 or such it will lug the motor when it is in overdrive.
    I was real happy with 3:75 gears.
    good luck Russ

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

AOD's are larger than C-4 and others, and they are NOT hard to set up, It is important to use gauges to set the pressure. Once set up, hit the road.

I get 24mpg in my coupe. Running 235/75-15 tires, with 3:80 gears and it is 2100 rpm at 70mph

9. williebill

williebill

Thanks to all for the answers so far.
    I'm not only concerned about gas mileage,I also want to save a few highway RPM with a vintage engine.

10. George

George

TCI makes a constant pressure valve body that still requires the rod/cable, but the adjustment no longer has to be gnats ass on. I had a Crown Vic Police Interceptor with 351W, AOD & 3.08. It was fast enough for LEOs to use that way. What engine? 302, 351?

11. williebill

williebill

292 Y-block

12. No offense but I don't run an OD tranny of any sort and get as good a mileage as anyone else that I know.

I would not be afraid of a tranny with a TV cable though. Painless also makes an electronic kit for electric trannies.

Oh 1.00 dollar per gallon gas is not traditional either. You could still by ethyl for 27 cents clear up into the early '70s. if you want an OD get one but don't make excuses for it. Do what ya want ansd let the chips fall where they may. That's tradition to the max.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  13. williebill

williebill

Not making excuses to you,or anybody else.I like the idea of running 2000-2200 RPM going 70-75 mph down the road,and if it gets better mileage,good for me.I've owned O/T cars that were V8,O/D,and got 22-23 on the highway,even when I ran it hard and fast,with 4 people,and the a/c blasting.
    As for tradition,gas was 29.9 the whole time I was in high school,so,yeah,I remember. My post title was to hopefully get a response from the wide world of knowledgable HAMBERs....For those that responded,many thanks.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

every time these OD questions come up people talk about the price of gas and how long it would take to pay off your large investment in an OD.

my old car had 3.73's and would be spinning 3500 RPMs at normal freeway speeds. a .7 OD would drop that to 2450.... or I could be doing 91 MPH at the same 3500 RPM's

15. It isn't worth all the work, money & hassle as far as I'm concerned. I bought a GM performance 4L60 for my hotrod that had a 350/350 combo. Mileage was 18/20 depending on my shoe size. I had to shorten the driveline/turn the rear tranny mount upside down, change rear gears from 3:00 to 3:55, change rear tires from 29" DIA TO 26" DIA,buy a bowtie TV cable adapter/adjuster,& add a converter lockup disconnect switch to the brake pedal.Doesn't need a computer,change speedo gear drive,also added a lokar swan shifter installation mount.Probably left out a few more mods but I think you get the idea. Not worth it in my opinion. Mileage is only a few more MPG , Run a lot in 3rd a lot to keep in the rpm band. Take off in 1st is pretty peppy tho & you can burn a bunch of tire if that is your goal. Kool factor is also OK if that is your liking. As for me I wish I would have left well enough alone. We (wife & I) put over 65,000 on the old setup without a problem but now with fuel outa sight don't drive near as much.
    Don't even want to figure what all this conversion cost just to get a few MPG more. Hell I'm on a fixed income & everything is inceasing outa sight. Guess the good times are coming to an end, but sure do have a lot of memories & friends from all over that we have met. Been border to border & coast to coast & canada. IT SURE WAS FUN THO. I never carried a spare tire or had a flat,never broke down, & never had an accident just lucky some say BUT I say preperation & not the prep H kind either heh heh he
    B-O-B & Peggy Sue

16. Damn I reread that post a dozen times looking for misspelled words or letters left out guess I best get some new glasses. INCREASING increasing increasing ok think I got it heh heh he
    Ya'll have a great day
    B-O-B

17. My point was that gas prices are no reason to run an OD. You run one because you want to.

My last dailey was getting 20-22 @ 3 to 3500. Running it at 2K to 2200 would have trashed my engine and my mileage would have been worse not better. The question becomes is your engine built to run in that range? OD is not a cure all it is a different solution to a mileage problem. But everything has to be balanced just spinning one slower is not going to give you the desired results if your engine is not built to run that speed.

Newer engines have an edge they are built to run at the lower RPM. The computer can change things like ignition timing and cam timing if its new enough as well as the amont of fuel it gets at any given point. All things in conjunction with the other.

Here is an example, one of the local HAMBers has an 5 speed in his old pickup truck. He is running an old dinosuar engine like most of us run, nothing high tech about it. In high gear he is turning about 1800 to 2000 at 60-65 MPH, he gets better mileage with it in 4th gear when his engine is up in its power band as opposed to the lower RPM in 5th gear. His solution is going to be to lower his rear gear or drop the OD. He can't afford to run it in 5th gear because it is either fuel mileage of tickets.

Oh and when you get your panties out of a bunch reread what I said I gave you two solutions to your OD problem.

18. RAY With

RAY With

I have AOD's in 3 street rods and it's no problem at all. It will enable you to get better mileage and less wear and tear on your motor. Most of the things you need you can get at a salvage yard and mustangs with AOD'S are every where so availability is no problem. If you have the tools its a one day swap out so I say go for it and it will save you money in the long run.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

first off, what you want to do to your ride is up to you. second search online for: transmissionadapters.com and see the Y-Block to AOD adapter kit from Bendtsen's. can be used to with any small block Ford trans. third do a search here and online-tons of info out there (Google=http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/33598/index.html)I have a '51 Ford coupe project with a '69 Ford 302 ready to put in. Had a C4 trans with correct torque converter, small flex plate, etc. found a (hopefully) good deal on a used rebuilt Mustang AOD with torque converter. so, sold all C4 stuff and found the bigger flex plate (164 tooth) and larger motor plate/starter mount, etc. but, my spending money is getting smaller and still looking at what to do about the floor shifter-all aftermarket set ups I found require opening trans and replacing shift linkage rod, plus Lokar TV cable, plus shorter drive shaft, rear gears, etc. So, on the fence about going forward with AOD. Might look for C4 swap and go back to original plan. it is like S10 front clip-have most parts to do a air bag set up for front. but, ended up just putting stock parts back on with dropped spindles. can not afford any more air bag stuff to do rear.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

after some searching found that B&M Unimatic (#80775) floor shifter works on AOD, but still requires a installation kit (#40496), but together cheaper than just just cost of Lokar shifter. maybe not as pretty, but still looks good. an alternative. also, summitracing.com carries the shifter/install kit under BMM. they have their own throttle valve corrector (extends reach at carb for TV cable) cheaper than other brands (SUM-700202, etc).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  21. One website is all you need!!!!! http://www.becontrols.com/ I run AODs in my 46 Ford, 64 Galaxie daily driver (26 MPG), and a 4R70W/AODE using his controller in my 51 Merc. The AOD is a totally mechanical trans with no electrinics but you will need and tv cable or rod. Electronics showed up in the AODE and after trans. Tell him Chad sent ya!!! VERY knowledgable guy!!! AOD just slightly longer than C4 but usually not long enough to have to shorten driveshaft but trans mount has to be relocated about 2 inches rearward. Hope this helps.

22. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

FWIW, I have the same tire setup with an FMX 3 speed auto trans, but 2:75 rear gears. You'd think gears that tall would be good for mileage...I get MAYBE 12-14 MPG on the freeway @ 70 mph spinning close to 3 large on the tach. The car is a dog off the line, and if I am lucky, I get 9 MPG around town. Engine is a stock 2 bbl 351M with duals. OD would be a nice option, but not the answer to all my ills in this application.

23. iamflashman

iamflashman

Does anyone know of a good shift kit for AOD? I usually run transgo shift kits but I don't see one for AOD...

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for a shift kit-check out B&M. QUESTION-anyone know where the factory identification codes are located on an AOD and where to find info on understanding codes to know year/model trans came out of ?? Thanks

25. Definatelly call Baumann Electronics for the shift kit. Real parts not some gadget kit!!!!

26. iamflashman

iamflashman

Thanks for the info!

27. George

George

What if the car has a floor shift for the current A/T?

28. Flatman

Flatman

I'm using a shifter from a '67 Mustang. I had to alter the lower pivot point to correct the geometry and fab a link up, but the shift detents work. I put it in 2nd if I want to lock out the overdrive and keep it in third. A bit of a pain to get set up, but I'm on a budget :D

Flatman

29. iamflashman

iamflashman

I used a 70 cougar shifer one time. It is like the mustang but has a slight curve back in the handle so it fits older cars a little better than the straight mustang one.

For the detents, I usually just remove the lock on the shifter and then shift into all cars making marks on the detent where they should be, then get out the grinder and make it right.

I also put a heavier detent spring in the tranny to make it harder to slide so it has a more "modern" feel.

30. dcwest32

dcwest32

A good way to protect your AOD is to run a pressure line up to a oil pressure gauge mounted up where it is easy to reed, using the Lokar linkage needs a helper spring on trans to pull a perfect 0 at idle. having the information on the pressure at your fingertips is handy because every carb adjustment usually changes the setting. I have several 302 rollers with aod on the road , one it going to Austin real soon....