Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ANZAC, the true greats.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ridgy didge

ridgy didge

Lest We Forget

Woke up to the sound of engines droning,ran and got my grand daughter from the the bed room she had sleptover in.We raced outside and saw the group of bi-planes circling slowly overhead.It was awesome to see her smile.
    I was asked to come down to the local RSL by a friend who was ex army.I rode my 1943 Harley Davidson, thinking some of the elder members may like to see it.I was instructed to park near about 30 newer Harley's by one of the Vietnam Vets MC members.
    Time to leave i came outside to see an elderly gentleman and 2 friends standing next to my bike looking at it.There was a crowd of people watching,this was the 1st time i had this bike out in 3 months,damn i was nervous.
    Two priming kicks, turn on ignition,hope and kick it.Starts first kick and the old bloke had the biggest smile on his face,as i rode away he gave me a nod and i gave him a wave,it was priceless.

2. badnews 31

badnews 31

lest we forget thankyou for the post

3. " lest we forget "

I had a great uncle who was in the airforce (navigator)
    He did 2 tours of duty in the pacific - was there when the custard hit the fan.

Sadly he passed away 6 months ago aged 97 - body finally failed him, but his mind was still as sharp as a tack.

Doc , thanks Cobber for the thread, reading through it gavve me a shiver and made me proud to be an ANZAC

4. Fe26

Fe26

Indeed, without Mustafa Kemal Ataturk in command of Turkish Troops WW1 may have taken a very different course.

The Turks held the high ground and had the advantage of terrain all the way though the fighting, even so they estimate their losses at twice the number of the ANZAC's.

Just before the ANZAC's began yet another big offensive, Ataturk, undermanned and undersupplied gathered his men and told them;
    "I do not order you to fight, I order you to die! In the time it takes us to die, other soldiers and commanders can come and take our places."

At the end of the Great War (the war to end all wars) Mustafa Kemel Ataturk wrote one of the most heartfelt messages ever written to the mothers of the fallen.
    "Those heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives...you are now in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Jonnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land, they have become our sons as well."

Mustafa Kemel Ataturk went on to found the modern Turkish Republic and become it's first President.

No ordinary soldier.

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. Last few days I been thinkin' of you Doc..

Local journo Peter Goers states that those of Gallipoli went there as second class Brits and came back Australians.

My handle here @ H.A.M.B honours the men of Sparrow Force, 2/40 Infantry Battalion, Battle of Timor, WW2.

Lest we Forget.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  6. Tis the day after ANZAC Day, I have just finished watching the ANZAC Day March I taped yesterday (I attended my local community service this year as my Lady was involved), so full of emotion and then I read this thread. Thank you for putting it up. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we willl remember them.
    Proud to be an ex-serviceman.

7. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Sincere thanks to those who served,particularly those who paid the ultimate price.

8. autobilly

autobilly

Very cool ideas and typical of the inginuity and the practical Aussie attitude that the Diggers took with them to "the cove" and campaigns elsewhere since.
    Lest we forget.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its that time of the year again, should we continue with this thread or start a new one??

LEST WE FORGET

Doc.

10. Thanks to all who gave their lives in The Great War - thanks especially to the Commonwealth countries who gave freely of their finest.

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

The Eternal Sacrifice

RIP

12. 55chevr

55chevr

I had the honor to serve with Aussies in Vietnam ... no finer soldiers or men ever lived ... and boy those guys could drink.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yeah,..no kidding,.. they made it an art form !:cool:

Cheers Doc, my thoughts are with you,... And were all one more year closer to that big reunion.

14. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Doc, I think it would be fitting to bump this up to the top every year and keep adding to it.

I missed this last year, and I have just sat here and read the whole thread, good job.

I've got a fair grasp on the history of Gallipoli, but it was always in the back of my mind how they withdrew without being noticed, and your thread has answered my question. Bloody ingenious buggers.

We shall remember them.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you guys, your words are very much appreciated. Jamin, I think the bringing this thread back up each year is a great Idea!!
    One cant describe how much we returned soldiers/sailors and airmen truly do appreciate the acknowledgment received on this day.
    (And its only partially vanity driven!!:p)

A rare (Old!!) pic of me!
    [​IMG]

On the way to work.
    [​IMG]

Hard day at the office.
    [​IMG]
    (This pic was not taken by me!! I don't have the photog's name Sorry!)
    Sincerely, THANK YOU ALL.

Doc.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v613/docwatson1938/Army/

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Looking pretty tough Doc!,... But tell the rest of your mates, to take the blank adapter off there AUG, before they go into the thick of it :D. oh yeah,.. and seriously,nice HALO shot !

[​IMG]

17. 55chevr

55chevr

Doc --- where did you go to Halo School?

18. 35desoto

35desoto

Yes another year and another good time to remember those that have gone before us. I'd like to see this thread continue as it stacks up some history and allows those new to read about this, to learn, understand and appreciate what ANZAC means to our societies downunder. Dawn Parades are as much part of our lives as are birthdays and christmas. Long may the memories be carried forward

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We run our own school, between PTS (Parachute Training School) The Regiment and RAAF Adelaide's School of Aviation Medicine's High Altitude Chamber we can do the lot. Kinda scary, I was an instructor!:eek:

I have to spend HOW MANY hours in this thing!!
    Simulated operation, can sit there for a LONG time in that hypobaric chamber! If we got overtime I would be rich!!:D
    [​IMG]

Doc.
    PS, Thanks Harms Way, I swear to god that I didnt alter the pic!!:D The HALO pic I believe was taken in the US but I don't recall where that was?
    As for the rifle? The BFA kinda takes away from the pic though dont it?
    Trust the Australian Army to complicate something as simple as calling a rifle the AUG!
    We called it the......
    Lithgo Small Arms AUSteyer F88c (Carbine), The rifle version I carried was the AUG A3 SF (also known as the AUG A2 Commando).
    Everyone else in the world just called it the AUG.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  20. A small but important correction to the original post here. The April 25 landing at Gallipoli was in 1915 not 1914. The war only started in August 1914.

My grandfather's elder brother was landed there on the first day and received a wound to his hand the same day which meant a ticket out. He returned to England, married and was back in NZ by 1917 and lived into his mid '90s. My grandfather arrived in England in late 1918, in time to get caught up in the flu epidemic so saw no action. It took until mid 1919 before he was able to get a ship home. He also lived to old age, dying on his 89th birthday.

An uncle served in reconnaissance aircraft, mostly in the Mediterranean, in 1942-43. I think the most action he saw was when on leave in England, getting caught up in a sneak raid by the Luftwaffe on a town on the Channel coast - Bournemouth maybe? He recently celebrated his 90th birthday.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the correction, we all manage to screw the pooch from time to time!!;):D

Doc.

22. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Nice one. Lest We Forget.

23. RussTee

RussTee

My grandfather was an anzac he had a terrible scare on his leg and never talked about it however he always had a great respect for his enemy.
    I had an uncle in the long Range Desert Group forrunner to the SAS I got him talking about the light car patrol a ww1 group of New Zealanders who used model tees with great success in the deserts .Conversation was going well then silence after 10 minutes I looked at him his eyes where full of tears he then blurted out " we could take no prisoners you know" I know they operated long behind enemy lines I didnt have to ask more but I could see he was doing it tough he died not long after that imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life he was a good man and I still respect him god rest

24. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

25. Lest we forget.
    Good tribute fellas

26. sololobo

sololobo

Salute to all these heros! Hard to imagine this hell, the water trigger is another super clever product of these brave soldiers. Nuthin but respect Amen brother. ~sololobo~

27. Deu55

Deu55

Thanx Doc always think of my uncle that fought in P.N.G. this time of year....thanx to all who served in the military ...Rod...

28. FASI

FASI

I too salute your countrymen for their sacrifice. I recommend everyone Google "the girl plays taps" and listen to the full rendition of Taps. This melody played at every American servicepersons funeral is just as appropriate to honor our Australian friends.

29. They ask me where I've been,
    And what I've done and seen.

But what can I reply,
    Who knows, it was'nt I
    But someone, just like me,
    Who went across the sea.

And with my head and hands,
    Killed men in foreign lands

Though I must bear the blame
    Cause he bore my name.

LEST WE FORGET

Rat