Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ANZAC Day 25 April 12.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Apr 24, 2012.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I admit I had to look up where Willuara was:cool:!
    This is one reason I love Australia. In every town, large or small the people of that town pay homage to what today is. Over so many wars every community was touched by these conflicts. Somewhere every town has an ANZAC Memorial, and at dawn today regardless of what the weather may be you will find some of those towns people gathered there.

Doc.

2. Lest we forget. I can not say more, God Bless those who served and those who have served and not come home.

3. fleet-master

fleet-master

I'm curious..normally each year here in Outram the names of the fallen are called out,this year was a departure where a guest dignitary spoke,mainly relating his familie's story. Nothing wrong with that at all and it was kinda nice...but I missed the role call..as did a few of the other locals i spoke to.
    Is calling the role the norm? only I've never been to a large dawn parade service
    Definitely not looking to stir the pot..just curious is all

4. tysond

tysond

I was at the dawn service this morning along with 35,000 others. Good to see the turnout on such a cold rainy day.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Calling the roll is a common practice in smaller towns service, it is not done in bigger towns and city's as there is just too many to call out. It would also interfere with the politicians laying reefs on the one day they pretend to care for the Defence Force.

Doc.

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No worries! Glad to help.

Doc.

8. Thanks Doc, there was a great service here, though it was hard not to smile whilst stood to attention when a little voice rings out - "Dad - are those men going to fire their rifles".... Right when the presenting arms was being carried out

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Lest we Forget.

10. belair

belair

Salute to the ANZACs. Thank you and God bless.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

RIP, indeed. And let's not forget ANZUS, the military pact with our friends down under since after the Korean War. We are all brother's in arms. Gary

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Lest We Forget.

1 minute's silence at 11am on 11/11 for the diggers who dropped for us.