Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anything that I must see in New Mexico?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smitty78, Feb 23, 2010.

1. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

I am heading to New Mexico tomorrow morning. We are flying into Alb renting a car and driving around the entire state. I was stationed at Alamogordo from 98-2000 so I am pretty familiar with the southern part of the state.
    Any junk yards, car museums, or anything cool to see would be great
    Thanks
    Smitty

2. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>,A Must See ,,go over the mountain from White Sands ,,,halfway down the other side,,in Organ ,,is "The Adult Toy Factory" a upscale Hot Rod Shop ,,Bob Nall is the owner ,,went to hi-school with him 50 years ago in Iowa ,,when i was stationed at Walker AFB,Roswell ,,'62 & '63 ,,i used to hitch hike there on weekends ,,
    he has a mail order parts business plus builds really koo kars for kustomers from all over the country,,he has a vintage louver press too ,,
    b

4. I was born in clovis when mydad was in the air force... dont know what all is there except the university.. have fun!

5. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

In Santa Rosa is the Route 66 Car Museum...And across the street is Bozo's Garage where a lot of the cars are built...Also in Old Town Alb is the Rattlesnake Museum..Not car related, but pretty cool...

6. dmw56

dmw56

Car related:The ones listed above.
    Archie Lewis Museum in Moriority, NM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bozo's Rt 66 Auto Museum in Santa Rosa, NM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stuff in my backyard!

Others: Atomic Museum in ABQ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. good luck with archie lewis if you wanna buy any of that stuff, he is not very kind to hot rodders. i would head up to santa fe, taos, santa rosa. if you are in santa fe and love beer and piza like i do i would stop by marble brewery tap room, you can order a beer and a pizza from Roof top pizza, and sit on there patio over looking the plaza. some of the best beer and pizza around in my opinion.

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

beat me to it:)

fwiw towed the vintage racecar back and forth 10k miles from Indio to Indy and Texas and only in Moriarty, NM did I have something stolen.

9. Lizard

Lizard
    from Benson Az

If you are in Hatch stop by Sparky's for a green chili cheeseburger!

10. nutajunka

nutajunka

Not car related but, the extinct volcanoes.

11. dmw56

dmw56

Heard a story about the "Volcanos" west of ABQ. In the 40s some college students started a tire fire in one of them and people in town thought it was going to erupt and they got close to evauating the town.Check this link, tons of stuff to do and see here.http://www.newmexico.org/

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>.,Area 51 Drag Strip at the old Walker AFB in Roswell,, PLUS ,,the Buffalo Solders Civil War Fort , (Freed Black Slaves Served There to Fight The Indians ) ,Just North of Reodoso ,,just North of there ,,,is where the Johnson County Wars took place ,,where Billy The Kid fought ,,got arrested ,,and escaped ,,,the little town has been completely preserved / restored and has a museum with a film of everything that took place back then ,,

13. I'm biased, but I think the best beer and food in NM is at the Santa Fe Brewing Company just south of Santa Fe on Highway 14. Brian the brewmaster is a friend of mine, and incredibly knowledgeable about beer. Also for a great green chile cheeseburger visit Bobcat Bite along Old Pecos Trail outside of Santa Fe. They're only open wed-sat and the close early (7:15pm), so plan accordingly.

Route 66 is DECIDEDLY not HAMB friendly, but worth a quick stop anyway, and Bozo's Garage accross the street is part of the same operation.

If your gal is coming with you, the Santa Fe Plaza is a nice place to stop for shopping, as is Madrid about 15 miles south on Highway 14 (a more pleasant route from ABQ to Santa Fe than the interstate anyway). That's where Wild Hogs was filmed, and there's a decent biker bar and mining museum there, as well as lots of little local artsy fartsy shops.

14. it was in the early 60s and from what ive heard from my pops friends it was him and and a few others. lol dont know if it is true but kind of a funny story.

15. yeah santa fe brewing co is good i like there brown. another good place to take a drive through is the jemez mountains and hot springs.

16. jason65

jason65

Camel rock is just north of Santa Fe. Old town Sante Fe is cool to. My friend Jchav62 said they had a pretty good snowfall a day or two ago. X2 on Jamez mountains.

17. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Some of the old town area in Santa Fe was where "Two Lane Blacktop" was filmed in '70,,
    Be sure to go see "Angel Fire Ski Resort" ,,take hiway 54 north outa Alamagordo,, ,,,great scenery along that old Two Lane Hi-Way Too ,,

18. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Ben's Automotive Services 1520 5th Street, Santa Fe, NM 87505-3428<NOBR>(505) 983-1031</NOBR>&#8206;, still owns the early 30's Ford pickup in the movie to this day. Ben Cordova (owner) has quite the Vette collection, including a Pro Street Vette. The scene in the movie is at Burt's Burger Bowl. Still open, great food and burgers.

19. Got about six inches last night. there's still a 1/2" on the ground :rolleyes:

20. Don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll send you a PM. I need a good shop here in town to deal with stuff on the t-bird that I just don't have time for right now (two sets of twins under 4 plus running a business will do that to you!)

21. jchav62

jchav62

If you're touring the whole state, check out Las Vegas and the surrounding areas. It's like a trip in a time machine through there. Very historic... and absolutely beautiful country.. you'll see hundreds of backyard treasures too... as in old cars and trucks...

Also, we just discovered this restaurant this weekend... "La Risa Cafe" in Ribera.. I-25 exit 323 (Villanueva). It's only a couple miles off the interstate. The food is EXCELLENT! I had the green chile cheeseburger... one of the best I ever had. In fact, everything looked awesome.

In Albuquerque, try "Kelly's" in Knob Hill. It's an old Texaco/Ford dealership that's been converted to a microbrewery and restaurant.. Good food, better beer.

Have fun and shoot one of us a message if you get lost.. :)

22. smitty78

smitty78
    from Florida

Wow thanks everyone! The H.A.M.B never lets me down.
    Our plan is to spend a day or two in the Northern part of the state Santa Fe, Taos area. Then Shoot down to Ruidoso to meet an old friend. At the same time looking for cars to take pictures of, and wet dream about buying. I remember a few junk yards with old iron in them on the N end of Alamogordo.
    Thanks again for all the ideas on where to go!
    NM here we come

23. There's some good yards at the south end of Roswell also. I hate driving through there because there's a ton of early 50s iron within sight of the highway. There's never enough time to see them all.

As jchav62 says above, as well, Las Vegas is about an hour from Santa Fe on I-25 and there are a few good older yards plus a historic downtown to checkout. That's where No Country for Old Men was filmed. La Risa is a couple miles off the interstate on the way to Villanueva State Park and has some good modern New Mexican food.

24. jchav62

jchav62

There's a cool old gas station on NM 68, between Espanola and Taos. Cool old cars and stuff. Nice place to take some pictures. There's also the "High Road" from Taos to Mora and Penasco...beautiful drive, full of history and plenty more oldies to look at...

Check out the Gorge Bridge when you are in the Taos area...

25. Larry T

Larry T

If you're in Ruidosa and need a way to kill a little time, you might drive up to Cloudcroft (through the reservation) and down to Alamagordo. Be sure to stop on the west side of Cloudcroft and check out the view of White Sands. Then in 12 miles you go from the top of the mountain to the desert. Neat stuff.
    Larry T

26. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Flathead50; the last time i was thru Roswell,,'97 ,,my old Black '52 Chevy was still in the junkyard South of Roswell,,,,along with a whole bunch of good '50's iron ,,

27. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>This '52 Chevy ,,when i saw it in '97 ,,it still had the blown up '54 235 six/split exhaust ,,home made floor shiter with a reverse shift pattern ,,those many coats of black laquer had been scratched up a bunch showing the white primer underneath ,,in '63 when i got orders for Alaska,,i sold it to a guy in the barracks ,,it lasted him a month ,,,after my two years of werk ,,that's my old buddy Bob,,pic taken in front of his house in Las Cruces in '62,,
    [​IMG]

28. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Smitty78,,not sure if my answer to your message went thru , or not ,,

29. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Smitty; according to Bob ,,there's still a drive in resturant in Las Cruces with REAL car hops ,,,and Bob does a lotta car shows in the area,,even up in Riudoso and in El Paso ,,lotsa street rods runnin' around there ,,,Bob drives a yellow '48 Ford Pee Cup with a chopped top ,,tunnel ramed stroker 383 SB/ TH-700 trans ,,it's been his daily driver for over 30 years ,,,

30. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Here's Bob's Pee Cup ,,
    [​IMG]