Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anything going on near Peoria, Il.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Oct 4, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Going to be on travel to Peoria, Il. for a few weeks and looking for something to do. Anyone know of anything going on in the area between 10-21 October?

2. Caterpillar?

Make it a bit earlier and you could go see this.

3. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Get there a couple days early and visit the Hunnert Car Pile-Up on Saturday. Last one ever.

4. slammed

slammed

Go online and search for restaurant's in the area. You will find better food for your dollar than Kalifornication.

5. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Yup, going to be there for Caterpillar training on their 3600 series engines. Good times! Been wanting to check that plant out for a while. Unfortunately we are traveling under government orders, and can't squeeze in the extra day. We are arriving on the evening of the 9th.

6. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Yup, going to be there for Caterpillar training on their 3600 series engines. Good times! Been wanting to check that plant out for a while. Unfortunately we are traveling under government orders, and can't squeeze in the extra day. We are arriving on the evening of the 9th.

7. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

8. Zaq

Zaq

Things to do in Peoria, theres a few bars and strip clubs. They all suck.
    Other than that, nothing.

Lookin for some good food while your up here, try gettin Khaki Jacks burger place,
    Garners Pizza and Wings, and Firehouse Pizza.

Good luck finding other things to do here though, and if you do, let me know.

9. I guess that depends on what a person wants to do. :) If one expects Key West, Daytona Beach at spring break, Disneyland, Lollapalooza, the GNRS, or the U.S. Nationals...no. It's a relatively small town that is too close to Chicago and St. Louis to support large events or attractions in its own right.

However, there is a good little speedway in town; several drag strips that are close; minor league franchises for baseball and hockey; a (usually) decent college basketball team; several local symphonies and ensembles; a couple of good local museums; a Civic Center that hosts major bands/artists/events on a regular basis (as well as smaller venues that feature up-and-coming bands)...etc. (And at least five strip clubs. :D ) There is a fair amount of drag racing activity, though most of it is focused more on current tech than on traditional H.A.M.B.-friendly cars.

Sorry to hear it's not to your taste; I was born here, have seen a lot of America, lived in two large cities, and Peoria is where I chose to reside and raise my children. Works for me, anyway.

10. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Homespun, do you know if there will be any drag racing or speedway action next weekend (14-16 Oct.)? Would like to check those out if they're going to be happening. Not much in to the strip clubs, but may wind up in one of the local bars up there. I know it's a small town, mainly looking at killing some time on the weekend. One of the guys here that's been to Peoria has already given me a cupon for the go-kart track (Kartville) which sounds like a good time, and another has given me directions to the Tilted Kilt, which is ALWAYS fun. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

11. Drag racing:

Havana- nothing listed. It's the closest, about 1 hr. The guy who owns it now, Bob Gibson, is on the H.A.M.B. as BobG - maybe he'll see this, or a PM. It is NHRA.

Cordoba- about 90 min away. Their usual Fri. & Sat. night test & tune & Showdown events. Also NHRA.

Byron - about 2 1/2 hrs. Nothing major, think it's test & tune for a couple of different clubs. They are NHRA too.

Peoria Speedway just finished their season this past weekend, I believe.

Kartville isn't bad...there's nothing like adults, go-karts, and immaturity to create a good time. :D They've also got batting cages and such. Also, if you are into golf, there are several really good courses in the area.

Baseball is done for the year, and our hockey team is on a road trip. College basketball hasn't quite started yet; but if you are into college football, the Fighting Illini (who are kicking ass so far, knock on wood) are playing Ohio State at home on Saturday. They are about 90 min. away.

Yep, there's the Tilted Kilt...haven't been there but my 18 yr. old son assures me that it's a nice, wholesome place. :D In that same area is the newer of the malls- also, Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, Hickory River Smokehouse, and a slew of chain restaurants like TGI Fridays. There's also the Rave cineplex if you get bored and want to catch a movie...also two other movie places, two more shopping centers, and another mall about 1-2 miles down the road.

Lastly, if you are going to be training at the Mossville complex- the engine plant, Tech Center, etc., a lot of the Cat training & business attendees go to Tequila's in Chillicothe for lunch as it's only a few miles away. Good Mexican food- although, living in San Diego, you probably get to see more of that, and more authentic, than we do.

If ya want to get in touch with your feminine side, Wicked is playing at the Peoria Civic Center...so far I have managed to avoid going with the wife and daughters. :p

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

I was just going to put up a post of anything to do in San Diego on October 16-22

13. musclecars

musclecars

The week-end of the 15th is a pre-48 show in Quincy which should be maybe a 2 hr trip on Rt 24 southwest of Peoria.It is put on by the Tin Dusters Car Club and I am looking forward to it because it will be my first time going.From what I seen on their web-site,last years show had over 900 rods.On the 15th it is held in Quincy's downtown business district and on the 16th it is held at Moorman Park.

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Well.....There's always Big Al's.:D:D:D Never been there, though.:eek::eek::eek:

15. butch nassau

butch nassau

If you are going to Peoria for 3600 engine training ask them why the engine is so BIG and the serial number is so SMALL.

16. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Things to do in Peoria , hmmm... drive to Chicago . Really it's only a 3hr drive, check out downtown, museums etc..

17. toolz1175

toolz1175
    from IL

Head up N on RT 116 along the river. There's a dive called the Burger Barge. Unique little place with great food.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  18. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

^ Rt 116 in East Peoria... Burger Barge does have good food.

I am going to see Wicked with the family.
    The 3600's are not built in Peoria, but the training is here.
    Dont know your age bracket, but Cruisin's on Farmington Road has a good college age crowd, esp on weekends. Downtown has a few... Richards has good food and drinks - go down the stairs in the middle of the sidewalk on Main. There's a zoo, Wheels of Time museum (never been there, but they tell me it's nice), a lot of local cruise-ins but those are nearing the end. Check out www.centralillinoiscruisers.com for a schedule.

19. Oh, also...if you want a bit of car-guy history- Route 66 is only about 35 min. from Peoria. A lot of the smaller towns have restored gas stations, museums, etc. which make a nice day trip. You can go all the way down to Springfield on 66 (there's signs), enjoy the fall scenery (best & prettiest time in IL), and eat lunch at the famous Route 66 Cozy Dog in "Springpatch". There are also some great historical attractions there for Abraham Lincoln, and you can go see Lincoln's tomb if you want...I find it both inspiring and humbling. His entire family (except 1 son) is buried with him. The history of the tomb itself is neat.

20. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Thanks to everyone for the input! Looks like I'll actually have something to do while I'm there. I've been to downtown Chicago a few times before. Used to hang out at the clubs out by Wrigley Field checking out local bands in 97-98. Might cruise up to check out the Museums again.

Tin Can, I found a nice list of things to do while you're in SoCal also. Most of the places listed on here are within 2-3 hours away. If you've never been to Pomona, you NEED to check it out. Been going there since I was a kid with the old man. Either way, here's the link:

http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html

Hope you have fun out here brother. We just had our "storm", all 2 inches of rain, so I expect you'll have good weather while you're here.

21. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Fall color run in Quincy on the 14th -16th. 1000+ 48 and older rods. we will be there. ususlly the last hoorah for the season for us.