Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone who gives up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Sep 14, 2010.

1. noxided

noxided

Hi! My name is Claudia and I am writing this through my fiances acct without him knowing. I wanna to get some inspirational advice. What do yall do when nothings working and you feel way over your head. I know from experience that trading,selling, or putting on the backburner are some options but it never leads to a real solution. I want to know how do you deal with it other than the above because I know you should never give up but try and try again. I just want someone elses point of view, how do all the greats get started? Also if anyone knows anything about 53 mercury t-87 transmission/clutch/electrical give him a buzz Thanks!:)

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I just do small things when I can't afford to do anything else. Something always needs to be cleaned and the more that is cleaned the less you have to do when something else major can be done. Good luck with the Merc! Hope this helps.

3. I would never post something on someones account behind thier back for all his peers to see.

4. Find someone in the area and offer beer & pizza to get them to stop by and give some opinions.

Sometimes, frustration clouds your judgement and having a fresh set of eyes can help solve problems. Sometimes, the solution escapes you, but is obvious to others.

Post a "Need help in Montgomery TX" thread and see if you find any HAMBers close by.

PS....I think it's really cool that the Fiancée wants to help. My wife would just say "just sell the damn thing already". Cool to have the support of the spouse-to-be. No shame in that.

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Little bits at a time.. even if its 1 hr a nite..

6. noxided

noxided

Yay guys this is what he needs because frustration really clouds his mind and unfortunately I know alot more about the mechanical side of the car his more the body man and suspension. I help him out when i can but flatheads are a new thing to me too. He is currently unemployed and money is the issue so he posted his services on craigslist to drop vehicle and even got a dva but this merc is kiccking his ass. This really help.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just keep pluggin' along!

8. noxided

noxided

All I am doing is asking for advice when he is to mad to think straight! I will let him see it and tell him once he has cooled down.

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Rude. A violation of trust.

10. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

I built a 53 Merc from one end to the other. Will be glad to help any way I can. Just gotta walk away, for a while, sometimes. Come back and get on it again. Ask for help works sometimes too. Cool that you care.

11. Just start your own profile. It's fun and easy. Plus you can find out stuff on your own and then surprise your man with skills.

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I think you have good intentions but it would probably be better to start your own profile. On another note I am probably in over my head with my car but that is how you learn. He will get it, this place is a wealth of knowledge.

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Or we could give her advice and not chastise her for trying to help her fella. If he gets mad then he must not realize what he has. If only more of our women folk supported us in this "disease". If you don't have anything constructive to say then shut up, just shut the hell up.

But yeah start your own profile for you and your future knowledge.

14. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

x2!!!

15. noxided

noxided

REason why I didn't start my own acct is also cooking dinner and studying for test and researching his clutch problem so yeah no time to start one when his is ready to roll and thanks to some of yall on here i have some leads. I pray to to car gods and this websites the best!!!!!!

16. deucegasser

deucegasser

When I was buildin' my roadster I would've traded it to a young dude with a pos s-10 pickup, I'd get pissed off and bummed out. Drivin' it is the BEST feelin' in the world. Gotta stick with it, ask for help, take a break from it,etc. Hit the local cruises,meet some knowledgible(sp?),helpful people. He can do it.....just a damn car.
    You're researching his clutch problem AND cookin' dinner AND studying?????? You gotta sister?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  17. rschilp

rschilp

So what is the problem he has with the clutch? Maybe we can help him out with this thread.

18. noxided

noxided

We clutch pedal is not retracting back after being pressed in, so he adjusted it and got more play but not enough. The other issue is while turned off it will shift gears but when on it just grinds and having too many projects and too many parts is not the point when they don't match rscilp!

19. Racewriter

Racewriter

Something's obviously binding in the clutch itself; the clutch isn't disengaging. I would look first inside the bellhousing and then at the linkage. I would bet that someone on the HAMB is near Montgomery and would be happy to take a look at it for a burger and a beer.

When a project car seems overwhelming to me, I always remember how you eat an elephant - one bite at a time. Project cars are the same way. Do one thing a night, and sooner or later the SOB will be done.

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I might suggest a three-some with your sister ,if I was that kind of guy!

21. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Sounds like multiple personalities to me. So in a way it could be a threesome I guess.

22. noxided

noxided

three-some with my sister? I'm trying to slim down to become a playmate of the year because whoever wins gets whatever car and bike of choice, BUGATTI VEYRON and victory 8-ball. Just mentioning since three some is out of the question.

23. cars are hard on a relationship. ask me how i know. but she got with me knowing im so far into it i wont come back out,and it was what my family did. i have been un employed for a while. i still get a lot done. i sale stuff i dont need, and with that i buy steel and a few parts and put it together.

the more you sit down and figure out how to make the part you need, the less money you spend. him willing to give his car up is major, i couldnt do that.

24. noxided

noxided

Yeah its really hard and you remind me of him but i would never make him give up what he loves just like i will never give up chocolate or pinstripping. He is not a bum at all and tries to make things on his own but sometimes he is to into it that he can see the picture anymore and gives up. Im tired of unfinished projects and taking it upon myself to make this fucker finish them! NOt sell them, trade them, or rot in the backyard!

25. thats one thing that never happends to me, even when i got my rusted body and frame, i seen a hot rod. those days im bleeding from getting hurt on it and want to take it to the scrape yard, i still can see the light at the end of the tunnel.2 others have gave up on this car and got rid of it cause it was to far gone. but that stopped when i seen it.

my relationship has/is suffering from my attention being put into my car, but i know if i dont it will sit for a while.

26. noxided

noxided

Don't worry I can only imagine what she might feel and again reason why I am on here. I won't let all that hard work and neglect to me have no purpouse. If I am not getting layed this car will!!!!!!!!! THe only thing you can do to help your relationship is combine her into it if not it kinda mindless. I am on the receiving end.

27. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I tell the ol lady to knock me off a piece, then I get my ass back in gear.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, from about 45+ year of working on these things sometimes you need to back off and let your mind clear for a few days or more. Other times an extra pair of eyes or hands can seem to get things working when yours can't.
    Most of us who have been at it for a bunch of year have been there more than once.

Probably the best thing you can do for him is to see if you can come up with a factory service manual for that car and transmission. The factory manuals tend to go into way more detail than the aftermarket books and they don't usually assume that a guy knows everything about the car to start.

29. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I think the fact she came on here is awesome. The fact she cares enough about him to jump on and ask for help... its cool.