Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone Weld A Steering Shaft?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Mar 6, 2020.

1. thegearhead

thegearhead

So i reversed a Corvair steering box now the only one i could find was the long shaft one. Everything is done except the shaft need's to be welded and lathed back to 5/8. Has anyone done something like this before? I'd prefer just running a factory short shaft but none locally around and the one i found online is not in budget for me at this time. 89548554_191694465453996_3390031271714357248_n.jpg

2. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I was always taught if you weld all the way around a shaft, it will break beside the weld. I would sleeve it and pin both sides after welding it, if it was me.

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

There is NO way to do that SAFELY with welding involved.
    Sure, I could weld it and so could a hundred other guys, but when it breaks, the welder will be the first one called to the witness stand.

SEAAIRE354, mgtstumpy, Andy K and 6 others like this.
  4. kb cookout

kb cookout

5. BJR

BJR

You couldn't get it welded and turned back down on a lath for $60.

Hnstray, upspirate, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  6. kb cookout

kb cookout

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Or if you are married to that one have both shafts splined or just the one in the box to the same spline size you have on the end. I've had shafts splined by a guy on Hamb and it came out great. Long answer to "welding" I wouldn't weld.

Pat

alanp561 and osage orange like this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooops! I welded one in the first hot rod I ever built (a "T" bucket with an early Dodge hemi) in 1965. I guess I didn't know any better then. Hopefully enough time has passed so I won't be called as a witness.:rolleyes:

9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I guess I would be a first witness also.......o_O

10. ^^^^^
    me too.....:rolleyes:

11. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

As I have said before when it comes to safety “just how many dollars is your life worth in dollars” or “would you trust your life to your welder”

osage orange likes this.
  12. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I had this one done by a local race team. This has been getting done for decades. My steering gear was hollow so he turned down a piece of solid double DD and plug welded it and welded around the joint also.

egads, Penetrator and Hnstray like this.
  13. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve done it and it works , solid round stock inside diameter ,before you slide shafts onto rod , drill hole on each shaft , weld shafts together leaving a 1/8 inch gap to penetrate shafts and rod .. Rosette weld the shaft holes to the solid bar and you will be good to go....

14. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Here is another way that looks like it would work with what you have.

Penetrator likes this.
  15. adam401

adam401

I've cut and welded a few. Sleave it and rosette weld the sleeve. People have been swapping the stub ends for different splines and tapers onto steering shafts forever.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    lucky ink, -Brent-, gnichols and 6 others like this.
  16. If you don’t trust your welding skills don’t weld it. As for trusting my life with my welding,most definitely.
    Sounds like the $60 option is a great deal if in doubt.

17. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I'm sure it could be done but finding another alternative would probably give you more piece of mind.
    I have turned down a 3/4" DD And inserted it into the length of a (alternately cross drilled then plug welded) stock Model A shaft. The result was a shaft much stronger than the stock A shaft, but that is a little different scenario.

18. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

It can be done and done well, it's been done by many over the years including myself however if anything ever breaks in the steering long after you have sold the machine the line of lawyers waiting to give you a colonoscopy with be longer than the beer line at a swap meet on a hot day. Don't do it and if the part is $60 that is a no brainer.

19. clem

clem

Most on this forum could probably weld that steering shaft.
    Do they have the understanding of what’s involved. Some, (from reading other threads) obviously not.
    The fact you are asking, tells us that you are in the category of those that do not.
    I have access to the skills required, but would never consider it for a road going vehicle.
    Over here I believe that we actually aren’t allowed to.
    So to answer your question, no, don’t weld, wait until the part fits into your budget.

Or read post 3 again.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have welded everything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn. If you are an accomplished welder you can weld it. Otherwise spend the 60 bucks and don't worry about it the first time you head down a mountain pass.

Hnstray, j-jock, lucky ink and 9 others like this.
  21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I think I've said this before , think about all the critical parts that many have welded in the construction of a vehicle , yet mention a steering shaft or steering arm and everybody panics , of course the bracket that attaches the steering box , the drag link and tie Rod end bungs , the spring mounts, radius rods, cripes , the mounts that the engine attaches to , that's all fine .... Im afraid its a Silly distinction.....

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

You never want to weld steering components. Cough up the green stuff. Why would you want to put your life and that of others in jeopardy for $60?

osage orange and clem like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

My dad did it with his buzz box Lincoln in he 70's helping a friend put in a 455 in a '56 Chevy PU. Never heard an issue with it afterwards, guess it comes down to the person pulling the trigger or pushing the rod?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It can be correctly welded and xrayed . Is it worth what it would cost to have it center bored , pinned , turned into a bevel , tig welded and xrayed , HELL NO . Buy a new or used quality USA made box and be done . I have welded many shafts and extensions turning on large HP , electric motors not one issue . I’m sure the motor is generating more torque than you can produce turning a steering wheel . The problem comes from hitting pot holes , how much force does this create , no way to know and I don’t want to be the one that determines the pot hole created more force than my weld can stand .

clem likes this.
  25. 6sally6

6sally6

Have it welded if you are afraid(not scared/you know what I mean). IF I had a tig rig and you were close by I would do it for you. Grind both ends to a point and start from there. Don't hot rod it and keep it clean.
    All this 'don't weld steering components etc.' is from folks that don't know enough about welding and metal. Many just repeat what they have heard. They don't mean any harm they are just repeating what they have heard.
    Steel is steel and welding is just putting molten steel in a place where it wasn't to begin with. Once it cools its just as strong as the base material/maybe stronger.
    It ain't braing surgery!
    6sally6

26. We machine a press fit sleeve
    099BBB07-CF28-4E8E-8B7D-3EE02D94227F.jpeg
    Aligns the shaft
    This one hasn’t been welded yet

Don’t know if this helps in your situation

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  27. Crocodile

Crocodile

I grew up in the hot rod world. But I left for years, and messed with off road trucks (rock crawlers). I have welded steering stuff (shafts, not the critical stuff) for years. These rigs turn 40" tall tires with extremely high traction tires at a dead stop. I have never had a failure.
    That said, we didn't exceed 45 mph with them. But the stresses were MUCH higher.
    How good of a welder are you? That's how you decide.

28. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Grind it down to a double D, then use a connector. If the weld breaks then, you still have the Double D on the shaft to keep it from slipping.

47ragtop and Mike51Merc like this.
  30. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Is it cheaper to do all the work or buy the part, and do you have all the tools needed.....?