Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone want to teach me the basics of welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CJ Steak, Nov 13, 2008.

1. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

if you were in the riverside, ca area i would recommend taking a night class that alvord adult education offers i took it back in 97 it was only two time a week and only 38 dollars the teacher taught during the day to the kids and taught this class at night. if you just want to run a bead then just practice. if you want to learn the difference in machines, rods, and welding different types of metal then try a class at night. maybe one of your school districts has a adult education in there area, with welding class. just a thought.

2. 52 csb

52 csb

Nice job casey that explaines that. lol lol

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Well in way of welding equipment, i've got a large set of torches, a small portable set (brief case style), a large Miller gas powered stick welder/generator (predecessor to the Bobcat), and a friend just gave me a new Craftsman 110V MIG that i'd like to just use on basic sheet metal. I know the Craftsman is LIMITED haha... My grandfather is the one that gave me the Miller equipment... I think i've got several TIG sets too. He was a welder by trade in California from the early 1950's til the 90's and gave me all of his equipment. I think there's a lot more in boxes in my parents barn.

I need to catalog what I have and see what's obsolete or not functioning anymore before I start spending money. Plus, i'd like to get in some practice and see how well I do with what i've got for now.

I looked at ACC to, and their welding certification program. I'm not in their school district so it would cost in excess of 10K-12K to do get certified. I was thinking of using a friend's address in Austin to get the cheaper rates though lol.

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Hey Rey - Good to hear from you man! You've got my old '37 frame on the road now right?

I'll take you up on your offer. I'm glad you're tossing in the VCR, I don't have one. It's not stolen is it? Those things are worth some dough on the street. You may not get it back!

5. 53choptop

53choptop

I wish, that project has been moved to the front burner though, contemplating whether to stay stock or must II.

Funny thing is that i have pulled that VCR from the trash several times, my wife keeps throwing it away when she is spring cleaning. Its a good VCR, but that video is the only VHS "compatible" one we have so it kinda goes hand in hand.

You'd actually be doing me a favor, cause sooner or later my wife is going to make that thing disappear.

6. Not2low

Not2low
    from Eaton,Ohio

I feel your pain.I bought a small mig welder, read the 18 pages of safety precautions and the two paragraphs on how to use it and got a little bummed out.I got some scraps and started splatter welding.Man does that stuff burn.(lol)I now have gas and continue to practice.I have what seems like a thousand holes in the bed of my truck from a bed cover.I finally said what the heck and started filling them.I wasnt sure of anything I was doing so I had a friend stop by and check my work.He took a punch and started hammering on all my finished welds.About a third of them fell out.He looked at me with a big grin, and said those arent good enough.I continue to read and practice.Some days I suck and somedays I smile with pride.For what it is worth,I will be 50 this month.Better late then never.Have fun as I am and good luck.Chris

7. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

What are your opinions of the Miller Goldstar tig machine?

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Any Miller is a good machine.

9. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

I bought my 15 year old son a Lincoln Mig Welder and he was trained withing two weeks.

jsut let her go

10. DONZI

DONZI

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Casey's right!!---Start with the fundamentals of welding---Gas welding & brazing, this early insight of putting 2 materials together will encourage you to become a most proficient student of welding, this is how I began in USN 1951, & made a lifetime career in all phaeses of welding. All the other techniques (arc,mig,tig & torch cutting) will fall into place as you practice each one, but first things first, apply your book knowledge along with hands on status, & you will succeed!!---------Don

12. 4hawkrod
    Yeah but Kitchener is the welding centre of the world. Had two uncles (Daniells Weld-All) there and a couisin who welded . The cousin now works for # 16 Biffle in nascar. The uncles are now welding in the big shop in the sky. Seriously it seemed to be a real hotbed of fabricators and machinists etc. Must be something in the water eh?