Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone want to start a club for 60s traditional (Bellflower) lows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by graverobber63, Feb 23, 2006.

1. rusty210

rusty210

Maybe by the time I hit 450, I'll have mine done. That's exactly the style I'll be shooting for.

[​IMG]

2. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Yeah... that's the ticket.

Remember that Midnighters song "Let's take a trip down Whittier blvd" ... I can hear it playing now.

:D

3. KKustoms

KKustoms

I think this is awesome...but I don't quite fit the bill....66 chyrsler newport 2 dr hard top (too new) but it does have angle hair, flaked top and skinny whites. But I have a ways to go in the post area. I guess I better get to posting!!!

4. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

5. JamesG

JamesG

Damn that a nice ride. I've been wanting a '59/'60 wagon for a while. We may have to do something about putting a curve on the post count rule.....

6. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

not the same JimA here on the HAMB..

7. caddyman65

caddyman65

will this fit in?[​IMG]

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

I've got a '66 Pontiac Bonneville that needs to be fixed-up.

9. personally that is crap.....post count and time on HAMB is not a reflection of your skills, ride or passion.

I have the post count but not the time...I guess I'm out. :(

10. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

caddyman65, that is one fine looking vert. Love the Rivi fender treatment.

11. caddyman65

caddyman65

Thanks, it should be close to done in a few months,got to finish the front end, have some plans for the rear end, then all covered in black cherry

12. epinut

epinut

Yeah, the Miller -58 is a killer alright! Have'nt seen this version before but when it was featured in R&C -95 it said it got it's final & third paintjob in -62. It's a absolutely great lookin car with amazing details, probably just two things that imo it would look even better without: Lake pipes & spots...

13. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I agree with you. When I read that It kinda pissed me off. But if thats the way you guys want it thats fine with me. I think that I would been able to contribute alot since I do all my own work from paint to fab work but you wouldnt know that because I cant play because I dont have a year in on the hamb.

14. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I think it kinda makes sense-it'd suck to have some scam artist in your club ruining your name.

15. 63 wildcat

63 wildcat

i guess im out too then......

16. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

How about "Rump Rangers" or "Ass Pirates". :D

Damn. Still sitting at the kid's table on Holidays.

"Butt Bruisers"?

17. luckystiff

luckystiff

whoever said there is a trad 60s club in THE SULTANS was right. pretty hard to have an internet based car club. all of the 60s custom/early lowrider/bellflower/whatevercoinphraseyouwannause guys here have always been kind of behind the scenes in contact with each other all along. limiting it to time on this board and post count is DUMB as that has no baring on ANYTHING. sorry i'm not trying to be an ass but i don't sugarcoat anything but cars anymore. tired of it. tired of the rat rod crowd who are trying to jump on the band wagon ask me for quotes for doing custom paint now that it's the IN thing and acting like i'm crazy when i give them a decent quote. i moved out of my shop so i have to rent a booth for actual painting and will charge accordingly. prices still way cheaper than what they should be. true nice 60s customs don't get built for ratrod money. sorry they just don't. 2 cars i gave a quote on in the last few months were painted elsewhere locally because they were cheaper. both look like fucking ass. tiger striped candies and blotchy flake underneath. hope it was worth it.

now with that said. i really don't want to seem negative about the club idea. i just don't see it being a feasable. other than having a random plaque to hang. i like the idea of community between the people that are into this alot. the idea of a seperate board for such, i like but i think post might be low. these cars are a bit more involving. it's all i think about. lots of folks are jumping on the bandwagon and parts of it are getting lost. most don't really know the history of the era. i'm tired of seeing the half ass layouts on cars because the people don't have an eye for flow. these cars are and have for a long time been a passion for me. seeing them done wrong is worse than the flat black craze to me. seeing it done right is like seeing heaven on earth. i know everyone has their opinion on design. opinons are like assholes and i am an asshole and don't mind saying so. so much that i don't like my own shit half the time. the buick would run i just don't really want to get it running i think because i want to redo it like i intended to the first time. a very close clone to the 2nd version of the green buick in the centerspread of hot rods and customs of the 60s(the 1st version is pictured). i even talked to gene about the paint on the car since he did it. i've never even seen a pic of the 2nd version of the car but it's basiclly a few small changes other than it's wore skylarks in that version instead of the rivi wheels pictured in the book.

i think retracting the time/post count will help keep this from going down hill. i'd rather be involved with someone thats been around here 2 days and knows what they are talking about than someone thats been here 2 years and doesn't know 60s custom history. again just my opinion...

and justin, before you say it, i'm shutin' up and going back to work on the '63 vw now.hahahahahhahahahhah...ken.....

18. I'm down, If you'll have me. I am working on the essential touches now.

Attached Files:

• MINE.jpg
      MINE.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
  19. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Okay here's the update. The club will be open to all 49-65 Bellflower style customs. No Barris style cars, no lowriders on wires, no full kustoms with caps etc...

As for the one year, 450 posts thing, it's mainly to weed out newbs, and to prove your 'Hamb Etiquette'. But we are willing to work with anyone. Sorry to have sounded like a Nazi, but the club will be based more on the car than your Hamb status. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The club will have high standards, so not just anyone or any car will be accepted. Me and James (Butt Reynolds) will discuss all entrants together.

If you want in, e-mail me pics of your car, info, and choice of these club names (or add your own). [email protected]

Ape Hangers
    Circus Wagons
    Crop Dusters
    Midnight Auto Supply
    Bitchen Rakes
    Skuzz Buckets
    Gravel Agitators
    Greengos
    Hipsters
    Berrie Razzers
    Buzzin' Cuzzins
    The lownius Monks (Thelonius Monk!!!)
    The Flakes
    Bellflowers
    Pinners
    LADS
    Flashbacks
    Thrill Seekers
    Missing Links
    Boulevardiers
    Bellflower Bruisers
    The Dead Flowers
    The Black Flowers
    The Cracked Bells
    Pavement Scrapers
    the Low Boats
    Bell Devils
    The Skinny Whites
    Los Boulevardos
    Bedizen Bellflowers
    Bedeviled Bellflowers
    Hells Bells (No E like the Chick club)
    HELL'S LOWBELLS
    The Hooligans
    Los Gamberro's

Thanks
    Adamo

20. luckystiff

luckystiff

no lowriders on wires

you're kidding right? LOTS of 60s customs were sitting on wires. LOTS. now if you're referring to 100 spoke daytons or something ok, but you can't say no wires and 60s at the same time. again check your history. Skylarks were a VERY popular wheel to have. kind of a big dog status. tru spokes came in mid way thru or so so yes they fit to. as do appliance wires and ford tbird wires to. 60s customs, bellflower or whatever you want to call them were EARLY LOWRIDERS basiclly. although the cars were not refered to as lowriders the drivers were. hell from all the folks i've talked to that were there and involved with customs of the era you saw WAY more cars on wires than supremes.

again not trying to be an asshole, but say no lowrider on wires in a 60s customs club just don't fit....ken....

21. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I'm talking 13" gold daytons

Skylark wires & other period correct wires are cool.

22. We knew what ya meant.

23. Originally Posted by graverobber63
    Okay here's the update. The club will be open to all 49-65 Bellflower style customs. No Barris style cars, no lowriders on wires, no full kustoms with caps etc...

Uh, you are talking about my roots and my generation here. The no hub cap deal would exclude Watson's Grapevine, the ULTIMATE boulevard creeper. I don't really even like the Bellflower name, per se. In the mid sixties my usual Friday night cruise was: the Tip Top in North LB, Hody's in Lakewood, then the Bellflower Blvd turn from the A&W through the Taco Hour and up to the Clock and up to Firestone to Harvey's, then back down Bellflower to Oscar's on the Traffic circle, past the Cinnamon Cinder (It's a very nice dance) and repeat. If you wanted to check out the racer types you cruised Tweedy and choosed off a race to race by the GM plant around the corner. Some nights we'd cruise Whittier Blvd or D Street in Wilmington if we weren't scared of the Chicanos. So Bellflower was only part of the circuit. Bellflower style cars is so named because of the exhaust tips. Back then you only got 'em from Gene's Muffler on Lakewood Blvd in Bellflower.

What you are refering to is what we used to think of as Harvey's Broiler Front Line cars. The up-front spots were reserved for the nice finished cars back then. I never had a car nice enough to park in the front couple of rows and I have had some pretty nice semi customs. Even the one with the metalflake by Bill Hines wasn't cool enough in the early sixties. Skylark, T-Bird and Caddy wires were the thing we all wanted back then. Astros were a compromise. Well, maybe not a compromise, but wires RULED. And the cars that were Harvey's front liners were built by Barris, Hines, Cerney and those guys. Watson paint jobs were the shit then, but lots of other painters were around.

You know what name I think is just right for a club without a home town? "Boulivard Creepers" For the part where the town would go put "At Large".

Boy that's more than my two cents worth, huh?

Check out the poster "The Clock" by either Larry Watson or Rob't Williams. Shows the range of styles from the boulivard time.

chili

24. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Luckystiff, no ones putting a gun to your head. If you don't think it's feasable, thats your opinion, and you don't have to be involved. I've got alot of guys from all over the world interested and e-mailing me. I think it's a great idea for an international club of guys into similar style cars that you don't see everyday on every streetcorner uniting to exchange ideas, thoughts and making friendships together.

-Adamo

25. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Chili you know exactly what I mean, and thats the period we want the lows to look like.

The only reason I'm posting specifics is to weed out cars that are not from that era.

26. Yeah, I DO know what you mean. I just added that state that the definition is a little larger than you stated. I already fly a plaque (Vipers), but the Olds I'm building fits as a Harvey's Front Line car, just a few years earlier ('57-'60). So, I'd be proud to join and fly your plaque on the garage wall. I like and support what you're starting here.

chili

27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hey Adamo, not sure what you think about my wagon.

It's not anywhere near done yet!! Not to mention, no one in their right mind would have done a wagon when that style was being developed. :eek:

The wires are PS'd and the paint is a year or more off... but I do like late '50s-60s style customs. :)

Attached Files:

28. i'll bite.
    my '60 bispala is being prepped to head over to supreme kustoms in hawthorne for some paint and body work...

is this gonna be one of those clubs that isnt a club deals??
    no rules, no officers, no meetings, no dues,...
    i hope so.

i'll shoot you the obligatories...

29. The best kind. That's how it is with the Vipers plus you can't ask to join, you have to be invited. Come by our pit at the March Meet, Mitch. Pretty sure we're gonna cackle the coupe.

chili

30. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I like this name...I'm half way there!:D
    Give me a week or two; if 'Jeepers Creepers' wasn't up to par, it will be:D:D:D