Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone used Zero Rust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Sep 10, 2008.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

I had about 1/2 a pint of por 15 from another project so I used that on my 53 chevy truck frame and was just going to get more to finish the job. However it seems that the price on por has gone up a lot! Surfing around I read a little on zero rust. Anyone use this?

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You'll find nothing but good reports about zero rust here if you do a search. Por 15 is also good.

3. novadude

novadude

I've gone through about 1/2 quart of brush-on black and 4 black aerosol cans in the past month. Really nice to work with compared to POR15, IMO. I am using it on my whole engine compartment, and have had it on suspension parts and some undercarriage areas for 2-3 years now. My car does not see harsh weather, so no durability reports, but I love the ease of use and the satin black finish.

4. houston54

houston54

Zero Rust is tops in my book.

5. Bullyboy

Bullyboy

6. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Thanks guys... Read some more on the net and ended up ordering some. MUCH cheaper than POR and I haven't read a bad thing about it.

7. Does the Zero rust have any UV. I know Por 15 will chalk if exposed.

8. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

From what I've read it doesn't have any UV protection. I guess they have a UV clear that you can put over it though. Why? What's new in the TZ household that might need it?

9. Rusty

Rusty

There used to be a member here on the Hamb that sold for them

I picked up a gallon from him 5 years ago and still have not used it

10. Zero Rust is good for the things I've used it on. It seems to be kind of soft for a few days, but after a few weeks or months, it feels harder and tougher. It's good for parts that don't get seen, like little brackets or something, and convenient because you can spray it out of a can. I painted a seat frame with it, and it seems like the perfect paint for a job like that.

POR-15 is good stuff for certain things, but it's kind of a pain to work with sometimes. One thing I don't like about POR-15 is that it's so glossy that stuff like contact cement won't even stick to it. Also POR-15 doesn't stick well to new shiny steel. It only sticks well to sandblasted, or roughed up, or rusty steel. If you paint it over some smooth cold rolled steel, it's easy to chip off again.

sheparj2 likes this.
  11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I've never used zero rust, but I've had awesome experiences with POR15. I've never had something that I coated with POR15 rust or have the POr damaged in any way.