Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone used these Rolling Car Jacks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Nov 19, 2019.

1. atch

atch

I have a set of 4 car dollies. Unfortunately, they are under a friend's Model A right now (at his shop) and might be for a while. I came across these today and am thinking about getting a set so I don't have to ask for mine back.

Has anyone used these? Sounds too cheap to be true...

[​IMG]

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  2. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yes, I purchased a set of similar ones off eBay at close to $400.00. Had problems with a lot of hydraulic fluid leaks, springs, clips, breaking lose and not pumping up properly. Perhaps it was my fault, could have been,I suppose. Regardless, I put them in the recycle bin and went back to my old 4 wheel steel non-hydraulic dollies. Also the set I bought were made offshore. I feel a nicer set made in US would work properly, although more costly. Good is not cheap/cheap is not good.

Hombre, Hnstray and Oldioron like this.
  3. redo32

redo32

I've been getting that ad too. Hope somebody here knows.

4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I would get mine back and let the friend buy his own. I have loaned out so much stuff over the years that I either have not gotten back, had to go get it when I need it myself or got it back destroyed that the whole lending out thing has made me a little bitter. Some times nice guys finish last.

5. Stooge

Stooge

I'd be fairly suspicious of that site, but those jacks that are advertised are the Eastwood ones, (they even used Eastwoods picture) costing around $400 for a set of 4 of them. I've used the name brand (original?) GoJack ones and the Harbor freight knockoff ones, both worked fine, and the HF ones are probably the same as the Eastwood ones, but with easier to find coupons for HF
    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-hydraulicwheel-dolly-4-piece-set-and-storage-rack.html

john walker, OLSKOOL57 and Hnstray like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

I learned long ago not to lend stuff out. If someone wants to come over, and we work on his car for a few hours, or wants to come over and we machine something or whatever, that's fine. Gotta draw the line somewhere, though

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm a geezer of diminishing strength and got the best ones I could find (GoJacks) so I could still move my rides around by myself. I found most of the money is in the casters.

OLSKOOL57 and olscrounger like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Then it probably is.

OLSKOOL57 and Hnstray like this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Price really seems too cheap. Would be nice to get feedback
    from a purchaser.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have use Go jacks for years -- work fine for me but cost way more than that.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  11. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder to what extent those jacking type dollies are suitable as longer term roll around storage in the lifted position or are they likely to fail in the lifting system? Obviously not an issue with the steel plate and casters variant. I can see the attraction of the quick to install and lift ones being considered but wonder whether they're really only designed to be for occasional use between residing in the (provided) storage rack. Weren't the expensive Go Jack types really tools of the car repo trade?

Chris

12. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Didn't the Go Jacks have a jack in them, not a hydraulic cylinder?
    Kinda like a bumper jack.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. Yep, I have 2 sets and they are more than 10 years old. Never had a leak being there is nothing to leak. Also none of them have misfired, so well worth the extra $$$. When moving cars around by hand with Spools in the rear and wide tires these things are priceless. I started with the Cheep ones and learned my lesson, never again.

OLSKOOL57 and 49ratfink like this.
  15. I have the Harbor Freight ones that are not hydraulic. They work with a mechanism like the old style bumper jack instead of a hydraulic cylinder. No worry about hydraulic leaks with these. Had them about 2 yrs and they have worked great so far.

OLSKOOL57 and 49ratfink like this.
  16. Used the OTC ones when I worked at Mercedes for customer long term project cars.
    As stated above, no hydraulics had a similar set up to the duff norton rail road jacks.
    Worked very well and we would have cars on them for extended times with no issues.
    No clue on price but OTC stuff ain’t cheap!

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  17. I've used Go Jacks, work great but super pricey. On the other end my boss bought some cheap ones, they worked once so far. Got a water damaged car out of the lot into another lot about 100 ft over crappy asphalt and only buckled once.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  18. Do any of these give you any clearance and safety to work under a car or do you still need a jack and jackstands?

19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Can you work on your car with the wheels 4" off the ground ?

20. I wouldn't expect them to work for very long for that price. I also wouldn't be buying from anyone that has to steal another companies pictures to advertise their product.

swade41, 5window and lurker mick like this.
  21. Not likely but can you make some of these multi-caster thingies that scissor to raise the vehicle more like 8 inches?

22. evintho

evintho

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Doesn't sound like anything I would want to be under, I like my jack stand without wheels thank you.

24. atch

atch

That's why I posted originally. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

To those who have suggested not loaning stuff: Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate your effort and the fact that you've in effect given me a portion of your day/life. HOWEVER: When my friend needed them I would have given them to him if he had asked. He's that good a friend. I'm not angry or disappointed that he still has them. That's why I'm willing to buy replacements for while he has mine.

And fwiw, I rarely loan stuff except in special circumstances and then only to VERY good friends (like this time).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    arkiehotrods, 5window and raven like this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Now, THERE is a SCAM!! ...seriously. No way equipment like this can be sold for that price without some serious compromise somewhere in the process.

Ray

edit: just read your post about your friendship....I suggest you buy these and give THEM to your friend and get your others back.

26. atch

atch

Thanx man.

I've got other alternatives so I'll go with one of them. One is that I really don't NEED wheel dollies, it would just be convenient. Want vs. need. Isn't that what a lot of our decisions really come down to?

27. atch

atch

After reading the link in evintho's post I don't think I would do this to my friend. He's worth more than that. I'd rather buy good ones to give to him.

28. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We used the Daytona branded one from Harbor Freight at the D.T.A. show last week to position all the cars.
    I'm really impressed. They are $130.00 each and worth that. They are all mechanical, no hydraulics. The cheap assed storage stand broke right off the bat but the wheel jacks worked flawlessly. I am not a fan of Harbor Freight but they are trying to up their game with higher quality items. This is in that category.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/5200-Lb-Max-Vehicle-Weight-Ultra-Mobile-Self-Loading-Dolly-64601.html

29. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Gave my dollies away. Got tired of trying to roll those small wheels over grooves in the floor

LWEL9226 likes this.
  30. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

There are a TON of Chinese scam "stores" on Facebook every day. A couple things they all seem to have in common.... Shopify based, same cheesy store template and a nonsense name in the URL.
    As has been said, if it's too good to be true it probably is. Or, 如果这太好了,不能成真,那也许是。