Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone used a car dolly to transport an old car (long distance)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xtralow, Jul 4, 2008.

1. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Looking to transport an old car about 2000 miles with a Dodge Dakota big v/6 & two wheel dolly instead of a car trailer.

2 wheel Dolly (free) the trailer I would need to rent one way & not sure the Dakota will pull both car and trailer very easy, with fuel at 4.50 a gallon and trailer rental, I am looking for an alternative and thought about the dolly thing?

Has anyone done the long distance dolly transport with an old car? feedback please.
    Thanx.

2. JamesG

JamesG

Those things scare me. Get a trailer from U-Haul.

3. Timxxwatson

Timxxwatson

well when i got my 55 chevy pu we used a tow dolly . . . 100 or so miles there empty . . . bout 10 miles on the way home damn thing broke in half . it had some 2 part tounge so you could drop the ramp/tire seats for easy loading but yea the tie from one side of the tounge to the other snaped and it when in to a whip then to the ditch . so check the welds .

4. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hauled my '56 Chevy behind a F150 (big 6) from Sonoma, CA to Indy - no problems. Remove the driveshaft. Check that rear hubs are lubed and turning freely. Set tire pressures. Avoid backing up.Tow dollies are only scary when you're towing them empty. vic

5. jimmyv

jimmyv

I would not go far unless you put good tires on the car, check the bearings, and make sure it has plenty of lube/grease. Even then if I were going father than a hundred or so miles I would use a trailer.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've got a '06 Dakota with the V6 and 6 speed, pulled a trailer with a '38 Buick from NJ to NC (about 400 miles) no problem what so ever. I've also pulled a car a couple of hours with a tow dolly. The trailer pulled much better. I rented the trailer from UHaul. The price was pretty reasonable.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

ALSO ... if you go wih the U-Haul trailer ... do not and I mean DO NOT load the vehicle all the way to the front. You need to balance the load front/back.

I like to move the vehicle around ( forward/backward ) so that the tongue of the trailer drops about a inch ... :)

[​IMG]

This 54 is mostly to the front because it has no engine/transmission ... so the weight on NOT on the front end.

:)

8. Brian W

Brian W

My parents used a tow dolly to bring my '53 F-100 from Seattle to Phoenix about 5 years ago. My dad pulled it behind his 2000 Toyota Tacoma with 4 cylinder. It's just about 1500 miles with mountain passes on the route! My dad's kinda nuts like that but it worked and they even made good time!

Brian

9. If you have good quality tote and good tires, they work perfect. I towed a full size car 500 hundred miles. With no problems
    And maybe 1500 hundred pound's lighter! total weight

10. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I towed my Falcon back from florida to Michigan and only had a tire blow on the car and the dolly kept it straight behind me until I was able to pull off the road. be careful not to get parked in where you cant pull out because they do not back up at all.

Jon

11. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

I've done it from Corona to the bay area of California. Only about 400 miles. The car was a 69 mustang fastback with a fresh rear end and just "ok" rear rubber. The tow vehicle was an f-150 with an I-6 and a 5 speed manual. Evertyhing went fine. I was a bit paranoid and checked the load about every 2 hours. No issues at all. I would do it again if I had to.

12. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

When I moved from So Ca I towed my model A behind my Nissan P/U 2400 miles on a dolly no problem, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

13. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Depends on what type of "old car", what kind of condition it's in, tires, rearend, etc.

14. sawzall

sawzall

one of the dumbest things I have ever done was to tow dolly a car OFF long island..

it wasn't until the car was home that we realized that on one of the rear springs.. ONLY main leaf was good I thought the leaf was going to let go when we jacked her up..

god was certainly watching over us that day..

however.. a Tow dolly can be used safely.. but extra care should be exercised to ensure the car being hauled is up to the task..

15. 2-TONED

2-TONED

see zillions of tow dollies in use everyday. i use one alot. easier to load the vehicle, lighter, no problems at all. -

16. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I towed a long wheelbase 66 Chevrolet truck from Oklahoma City to Middle TN on one a couple of years ago. Didn't have any trouble at all out of it.

Don't remember how many miles it was but it took around 10 hours.

Have hauled a few others around on one but that is the longest distance.

Anyway, I've never had any trouble with one. Like was said before make sure whatever your towing has decent tires.

I'd probably make sure I had a spare tire for it just in case.

17. My dad built one years ago, we still use it all the time. Just obey the same rules you'd abide by when DRIVING a car.... Good tires, well lubed bearings and a suspension in good working order. Pull the driveshaft.

And its been said but I'll say it again: no backing up. And they don't like sharp corners. Take right hand turns from the left lane, you'll get used to it.

18. Black Primer

Black Primer

A couple of years ago I bought a 54 Chevy from a guy in Oregon. I got a price from professional hauler, but he said he would like to haul it himself with his dolly. Said he wanted to see this part of the country. A couple of days later he calls, he's in Minnesota and the tongue broke on the dolly, the 54 still attached to the dolly hits the ditch and rolls over. End of story. If you are gonna tow anything check your insurance.

19. I don't think it's a great idea, but that's not your question:). So, a buddy of mine did the dolly thing from Texas to SoCal with a 60 Elcamino on board with no probs. Had to be way in excess of 1000 miles

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I have a dolly and use it alot. just can't back up with them

21. phat rat

phat rat

Just went and read your other post. That could have been a real wild ride if that had happened coming down from Jerome. I doubt the car would have survived

22. InPrimer

InPrimer

I've been driving from NY to western AZ( just a few miles short of CA) 2405 miles each way, been towing a box trailer 5 times full out of NY and deadheading back from Az. So far I can say that i saw maybe 3 cars gettting towed by a dolly. Lot and lots of folks using trailers. It's my opinion ,but I would not use a wheel dolly, maybe you save money but IMO the risks are high.If you are using a major US roads such as US 40, another headache, the truckers are on a schedule and believe me when they pass you its a handfull. I've been driving for 45 yrs and everything from a Jeep to a deuce and a half.Again I wouldn't risk it In fact this month I'll be doing my last run since we are moving to AZ permanently. I'm looking forward for the last trip and also just put on 2 new tires on my trailer, believe a spare is a must, nothing like getting a blowout somewhere in East Jesus and trying to find a repair shop Didn't mean to be long winded but I've done my share of screwups and just trying to help you with your options

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I guess it is a GOOD thing I had two spares ?? :) :D

I see a fair amount of tow dolleys being used ... behind motor homes. The vehicles on the dollies are usually front wheel drive late model small econo boxes ... so there was no driveshaft to remove.

I myself ... do not like a tow dolly ... but then I may be biased ... as I now currently own 4 trailers. 2 enclosed and two open ... :rolleyes:

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hate the fuckin things..and i dont think towing a car with a dolly VS towing the car with a trailer will change much in your gas mileage, so that argument is moot..besides is even 2 more miles per gallon (if you were lucky) really worth having to be on the side of the road due to some issue with the old car being towed..or worse yet having it get damaged or damaging something else?

just get the trailer and do it right save your self the head aches..I would never own one of those death traps.

25. i have used a tow dolly many times. towed a 65' valiant wagon from browning montana to tacoma wa. with no problems with the dolly but truck had wheel bearing issue. make sure you take a spare with you that fits dolly and vehicle being towed. watch your speed and check your load every 100 miles or so. just when you get comfortable all hell will breaks loose and all you think about is getting stopped safely. one thing i always do is run large chain between tow rig and vehicle on dolly. good luck.

26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

People use tow dollies to schlep all kinds of stuff behind thier motor homes, cross town and cross country. A good tow rig is a must. each attachment point is a potential trouble spot, so a dolly multiplies the trailer's points. If the dolly is in good shape, frame ,tires, bearings, tiedown straps and tiedown pioints, safety chains, It should be a viable option.

Just slow down, check the stuff regularly, stay rested and alert. While following the advice given above. I have used a dolly on several occasions and trailers also. One note UHAUL trailers have surge brakes, if they ar on a grade you can not backup without disabling the surge deal, you can do it but make sure the folks at UHAUL show you how if you go that route.

When using a dolly in addition to the tire straps, I also use a comealong over the suspension members as additional security.recently helped a buddy bring 91 Impala from Fla to central NY behind a Sierra pickup 1500 miles no issues.

We did most of our traveling at night to avoid the I 95 Idiots.

27. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

55 Chevy 2 dr. stock rearend, the car is a driver.

Thats what I was thinking it would be at least 1500 pds. lighter and I think my Dakota would pull better with a dolly rather then a trailer and I think I could use the stock bumper with a ball?
    trailer I think I would need a after market set up?

I would do all this for sure, have good tires, a spare etc and dolly would check and make sure the same.

This all started when I started thinking I would make a vacation/road trip driving back east & go to Salina Ks KKOA show, since I was going that far why not go and get this car another 7 hrs. north, spend some time at my nieces get the car ready to go, I have some other stuff there too, and then head back west..... trust me it doesnt work trying to do a long distance car build.

I may haul some parts back for anyone that needs a relay if there on my route and also do the same on the way back if its on the way, would help a little for some gas money.

Just looking at and & all options, will see what I come up with.....

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

28. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Dakota should pull it ok-my 2000 Dak with is rated to tow 5000lb. I'd check the wieght rating on the bumper, it's usually stamped on the bumper. Personally I'd put a reciever style on it. Not real expensive but a lot stonger than the bumper. Pull the driveshaft on the towed car, have good tires, good bearings, no problem.

29. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Borrowed a tow dolley in SC- towed it empty to NJ, loaded up with a 67 corvair in PA and towed it home to SC. No Issues and I towed it with a Chrysler Minivan.

Attached Files: