Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone use these A frame boxing plates?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldnuts, Nov 22, 2012.

1. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

2. john walker

john walker

i would just fab my own. no telling if one size fits all frames after 80 years of use. a scribe and a bandsaw will get you the same thing.

3. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

i dont have any cutting tools besides a grinder and cutting torch. i figured for that price it would be worth it to jsut buy them. good point about them matching up.

4. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

He's "metalfaber" here on the HAMB. Wolfe's Metal Fab. Do a search here on the HAMB under his name or just search "easy weld". Looks like a quality product and he does offer HAMB discount or free shipping on some items to alliance members. If your equipment is limited, you can often buy a quality product for much less time and expense than you can make them when you consider your time and expenses in driving time, gas, cost of material, your time, labor, cutting, grinding, etc. Probablty anything you buy will need some modification but you will be much further ahead. Hope you can support another HAMB member.

5. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

thanks old tin. ill end up going that route since he is a member here. my tool selection is limited so this is alot easier than fabing my own.

6. feelsharp

feelsharp
    from Wadsville

Just got a set of 26/27 T weld plates from him and am very pleased with the product.

7. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Good deal. Thanks for the input feelsharp. This will be the way I go

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I think that's metalfaber here on the Hamb. If so ...his are great

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

10. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Oldnuts, these guys are correct, those are my plates, and yes, they do seam kind of cheap, as sometimes you are forced to compete with others prices for sales, who are selling items and not registered as a business or who have a tax documents that have been filed in their state either, so they do not have the added business expenses. But enough with that, Ill hold back my rant. :)

The lower priced plates are the "Budget" plates (added to compete with competition), and the slightly more expensive ones are our "Easy Weld System" which we started out with long before some others started selling them.

They are both cut out of the same Quality USA steel, and to the same profiles, and are slightly undersized, so that when you weld them in, your weld bead gets good penetration, and when smoothing the weld, there is not alot to grind, and you are not removing it all and asking for cracks. (i have a dimpled plate on a Model A frame horn with the end cutaway that i need to get a picture of and post it online)

The main differences between our "Budget" and "Easy Welds" are little tabs that we have strategical placed along the rails to help with the fitting and clamping to the frame rails allowing slight adjustments while they are clamped to the frame, very easy to do with a slight hammer tap, since old car frames aren't always perfect. :) This keeps the boxing plate from slipping off, into the inside the frame which can be frustrating.

Also, after cutting the plates, there is a little cleaning that is necessary before they are ready to weld to a frame, and the budget ones are the ones that get the least amount of our attention, and we make sure the higher priced "Easy Weld" plates are super clean and ready to go. If we have a set that gets a slight cut defect that will not compromise its integrity or cosmetics when welded in, we may ship it as a budget set, but dispose of cut defects that are a problem.

All of our sets we have spent extra time in the initial stages making sure the fitment is spot on for the end user to maximize the time savings and ease of use for the end user.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post up, PM or email me.

Brian :)

11. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I've done three stock A frames with the Easy Weld plates. Been happy with the results every time.
    Great folks to deal with.:D

12. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

thanks for the great reply brian.

13. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Bought some Model A boxing plates from him as well and although I have not welded them in yet they appear very nice and shipping/service/price all made me happy.

14. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be ordering a set right after Christmas. The Model A gets part of my first Social Security check next month.