Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use the large type Engine Analyzers in their home shops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Used one most of my careeer. Still have a KAL scope in the shop. Gave my nephew an old Allen still in perfect working order but I think he has never even plugged it in. i also have an ancient plug scope that still works. Interesting old piece. I believe it was made by AC. I had a fully equiped Allen shop in the 70s (Power Tune Up Belleville LTD) later i did demos for KAL through Hastings Ring Company who owned them then.
    We did many demos, only missed one sale.
    Don

2. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Got it home!!! It is actually, I think 2 machines stacked, the scope ignition part, and the lower emissions part??? Anyways, I pluged it in and lights come on, needles move, fan and motor are humming away. The only exception...NOTHING on the scope screen!!! I am wondering if the scope doesn't actually show a blip or line or something unless an engine is hooked up running and sending an "ignition signal" to it????? I also don't want to just hook up wires to an engine until I get some paper work. I don't know where the wires all go. But if it doesn't work (I hope the hell it does)...It looks cool in the corner!!

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have all these machines, got two more this week, but to me they are floorlamps.

I do use a dwell tach sometimes but that's it.

I have a ton of radio test equipment too

Again just eyecandy ........ If it doesn't work, so what they are fun just sitting there as you say

Artwork. :D

4. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

EYECANDY... exactly, not to many (actually NONE) of my friends can say "hey I have one of those too"!!!!!
    If it doesn't work maybe I'll gut it and put a refrigerator inside and there is were I can hide my beer from "my friends"!!! Ken

5. timothale

timothale

My son was visiting his uncle and saw a sign that said high school shop sale. He bought one for $20 that the Gm dealership donated, the manual lists specs for cars up to 80. we haven't hooked it up to anything yet.

6. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Love my old Sun. Sorta makes tuning up the old rod nostalgic!

Attached Files:

rjones35 likes this.
  7. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

UPDATE!!!

Found a buch of paperwork inside the cabinet. Not the lower storage area, but actually inside where all the "workings" are. None are actuall "How To Use" the machine, but a lot of updates and diagrams of where some of the wiring goes. Going to try and figure some of them out tomorrow.

8. forestgump

forestgump

My Allen is quite a bit newer (1989) Smart Scope I, really a good working scope but the light pen is a little funky. I still prefer the old Sun equipment. So jc62 I will see your 1120 and raise you an 1160, 980, and epa75! What most people don't get is these are not garage ornaments, but serious tools that are still worth while. I scoped a 2002 S-10 Blazer the other day to help diagnose a drivability issue. Vehicle Fixed! Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the Allen and it's buried behind the van right now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Serious tools to me are 50 years of experiance. Honest.

These do work but you'll never see on trackside.

Please remember most of my life I built race cars. I had to learn early on to trust me gut...... ears and eyes.

I carry a vaccuum gauge and hand held tach with me

The rest of this is just fun....... hope you understand. :)

I'm not putting these things down as tool but just enjoy them as history :cool:

10. forestgump

forestgump

Found a picture of the Allen, it's a good scope and having three gas functions is nice. Just needs an o2 sensor to be 100%. I'm not sure why I need three scopes but I just do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  11. shop teacher

shop teacher

At school(Bloomington Kennedy ) we still use a Bear engine analyze to demonstrate how far diagnostic tolls have changed. It has a cool automatic test procedure that checks starting, charging and ignition systems. A friend of mine here in Minnesota has one in his garage for sale if anyone is interested? Thanks, Bill

12. forestgump

forestgump

Shop Teacher, do you need any spare leads for the Bear? I parted out a mid eighties bear a couple of months ago, to big to keep the whole thing and really prefer running one of the other scopes. If so drop me a line.

13. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

She's ALIVE!!! Hooked it up to the '56 Ford and turned it all on and everything "SEEMS" to work??? Lot of stuff I just don't understand yet, but I'll get it all figured out eventually. I am so excited!!!!!!!!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. forestgump

forestgump

Here is a couple of things from my archives for you Chopper.

Attached Files:

15. forestgump

forestgump

Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, but here is my EET-1160 on the Dodge. My ignition was complete garbage, it was all replaced soon after.

Attached Files:

16. oj

oj

I got an allen unit but can't get it to work, neat gizmo with an arm coming out the top with all the hookup wires. No book, nothin. Been in the market for one that works along with a distr machine.

17. jethro2011

jethro2011

hi,
    i have parts,leads,circuit board,crt displays, software for sale for older antique engine analyzers scopes, and 2,3,4 gas exhaust analyzer parts.
    i also have service/owners manuals for sale
    for the following machines
    sun electric,allen,firestone,rotunda,atlas,bear,marquette+others.
    if anyone is interested contact jeff at 612-789-3973 or 320-279-3491
    join my user group for free
    goto yahoo groups type in engineanalyzers
    click join group

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  18. john walker

john walker

25 years ago, i bought an allen scope like that for the shop. combination gas analyzer and scope. about every year it killed a circuit board for a cost of $1000 or thereabouts. keeping it alive got real old and i left it with my ex partner. i use a sun MGA 1400 gas analyzer now and it cost me $80 for a switch in the last 15 years. you don't really need the fancy scope stuff.

19. MikesIron

MikesIron
    from Union, OR

Hey -- ChopperImpala --

Still sorta new to the board, and just saw this thread. I have that very machine, bought it new in the early 80s. Still have all the manuals, too. Gotta tell you that for the stuff we work on it's the best!

PM me, if ya want, and we can work on getting you copies of what I have! Be glad to help you out!!!!
    Mike

20. andyg

andyg

Just picked up an Allen e-316. 1948 or so. I'm looking for manuals for it. Seems to work fine but I need some info to make it useful. Got some flathead dizzies to work on and a HC mag. Please help. Originals would be nice but copies will do for now.

21. MikesIron

MikesIron
    from Union, OR

Used to have an older one (i.e., much older that the one that started this thread), maybe even the same one you just found; had a shop fire in '80 that took it out. Didn't keep the manuals. That might be a tough one...

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I picked up a Bear scope as well as an emissions analyzer cheap. Mounted them stacked on the same cart, worked perfectly. Took up too much shop space, so off they went.

I don't miss them, nothing I can't tune with my small tach/dwell and a vacuum gauge. For misfires I point my temp gauge at the exhaust- cool one is misfiring.

23. svctech

svctech

Hello, I just picked up a unit that looks a lot like yours but without the two meters on the right and it was made for Firestone. Would you happen to have any programs on floppy to load onto my hard drive? It seems that everything is working. It has two model numbers, 13-190 and 92-356. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

24. GEGE

GEGE

57 dodge:
    You would not happen to have an extra plug in timing light for you analyzer?
    I have same model but no timing light.
    Or anyone that does?
    Let me know.
    Thanks

25. 57dodge

57dodge

No I dont sorry.

26. IM looking for parts or repair for my ALLEN SMART SCOPE ive been told there is no way to get parts for this any longer,the left side screen occilisscope went out as it did when it was only a year old,is it ready for scrap?
    steve vlachos lake isabella ca. 760 417 1181

27. I have a tube type Sun that is just for display.

I have a Peerless machine that I use often enough to still keep the machine. I got it with all the books about 20 years ago. What I like most about the machine, is that the scope works on 12 volts and I can use it analyze the ignition while running on the road.

Before I got the Peerless machine, I also used my Tektronics scope which was probably worth more than the car.

28. deucemanab

deucemanab

Check hemmings,i used to havee the manuals but they are long gone

29. Some really cool looking machines here.

30. Fullraceflathead

Fullraceflathead

photo(2).JPG View attachment 2685473 photo(6).JPG Hello Guys,
    I have several Engine Analyzer Scope's too.
    A Sun Master Motor Tester 1952.
    A Sun Computer II 1980.
    A Allen Diagnostics II 1980.
    I'm looking for the owner/operator manual for the Allen machine.
    I also have a 1954 Sun Master Distributor Tester and a 1956 Sun Standard Distributor Tester.
    I need the Manometer for the 1954 Master Distributor Tester.
    I have the Factory Service Manuals and many of the Sun Bulletins.
    If I can help let me know.
    Thanks,
    Kevin Kline

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014