Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone use rustoleum??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave s, Sep 4, 2006.

1. dave s

dave s

has anyone used rustoleum to paint their cars?? i am thinking of using it, unless someone has had a bad expierience with it. is there any reason i shouldnt use it for my RPU(doesnt hold up? fades?)?

if you have used it, is it a glossy or a semi gloss finish?

any info or suggestions on another inexpensive paint?

thanks guys

dave s

2. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

i've seen some cars with rustoleum primer. i dunno if i'd do a color job with rustoleum on a car. i've done spray jobs on bicycles before and they've held up alright but that's a different beast. rusto doesn't have many colors if you do wanna go that route. there are a few companies who make spray paint for graffiti so they have a ton of different colors.

3. it works good especially on dirty metal... their rusty metal (ruddy brown) primer is kick ass for rust stabilization.

i painted my car with their flat black.. it's held up well..

wouldn't bother with it if your going for a shiny finish.. i'd go with a decent autotive style paint. even a low grade auto paint like nasson will outlast and look better than rustoleum..

4. Bugman

Bugman

Search. There was a huge thread on this a few months back

5. dave s

dave s

thanks guys. i tried searching, but i didnt get much info on color rustoleum. i'll keep trying.
    thaks again,

dave s

6. 5051

Works well. If you want to dry quick use Japan Dry (HomeDepot), if you want it to dry slow use mineral spirits.

There is a few posts other have used as well.

End results works well for cheap, quick clean-up.

Good Luck

7. I had a friend who used to use it as a rust preventative on any new car he purchased.Back when you could order a car without undercoating,he would do that and then when he took delivery,put it on a lift and spray the entire underside of the car with the Rust-O-Leum fish oil thinner.Apparently it would work it's way into every nook and cranny and a day or so later he would shoot it with satin black.Never had a rust problem;more than I can say for a lot of undercoated cars.

As a topcoat,I would hesitate to use it only because it takes so long to dry(usually about 24-48 hours at normal temperatures).Japan drier will speed up the drying process but I'm not sure it is compatible with Rust-O-Leum.I don't know that it has any UV protectors in it either. I just used some rattle can satin black on some wooden chairs for my wife and it took two days for them to set up and that was in my shop with the fans blowing.

8. Muttley

Muttley

Rustoleum Satin is great stuff, it goes on smooth, coats without having to go over it 712 times and its next to impossible to run.

9. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

yeah from what i've heard and seen if you wanna go a flat or a satin color, rustoleum is a sick way to go. i have a friend who painted his 32 coupe in satin black and you'd honestly be amazed if u knew it was from rustoleum, what's cooler is it costed him a whopping 30 bucks...

10. k-member

k-member

Use the hell out of it. Here's my $38.00 paint job. 2 cans of flat white some hunter green gloss and some satin hunter green. Has a semi gloss look. I use accetone to thin with. Got tired of flat black.

Attached Files:

11. slamdpup

slamdpup

my car has rustoleum ''rusty metal primer''..i love it..i actually used antique bronze first to fill pits cause its thicker..i rolled it on with a roller then i blocked it then i sprayed the rusty metal primer over that with a couple coats..works grreat lays down flat but it scratches easly..also will curing for 7 days @atleast 70 degrees it stinks..but that goes away cant send a pic netzero sucks

12. slamdpup

slamdpup

my car has rustoleum ''rusty metal primer''..i love it..i actually used antique bronze first to fill pits cause its thicker..i rolled it on with a roller then i blocked it then i sprayed the rusty metal primer over that with a couple coats..works grreat lays down flat but it scratches easly..also will curing for 7 days @atleast 70 degrees it stinks..but that goes away cant send a pic netzero sucks

13. cadzilla

cadzilla

i have used it on my car and mixed the gloss and the flat together and it comes out with a realy good sheen. not satin but not gloss some were in between.

14. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All paints in the last 20 years or so have gone away from containing lead, which adds to the durability and rust inhibiting qualities of the finish. Rustoleum has always been a good finish, but like every other paint it will be somewhat less without lead, although safer. My biggest complaint with Rustoleum, and other comparable slow drying enamels, is that everything within about 400 feet of where you spray it will have tiny spots of overspray on it. Also, air dry enamels will be more sensitive to chemicals, solvents, and abrasion than more expensive 2 part systems with hardners/catalysts. Repairing enamels can be tricky at best because of their sensitivity to solvents, and they will chalk and fade much faster from sun, weather and polution.
    Before you decide on the "sweetness" of low price, think ahead a few years and see if a more durable and more expensive finish would be a wiser choice.

That said, I'll be driving the cars over by the neighbors, (over 400 feet away) and spraying my patio table with Rustoleum marine gloss white.

overspray

15. Here's my 64 chevy shortbox with about 45 bucks into the home-depot rustoleum "Hammered" paint. I used 3 quarts of silver mixed with 1 quart of black. Sprayed it on with a $29.95 discount store gun. It's about 3-4 months old now and still looks great.

Attached Files:

• 66pu.jpg
      66pu.jpg
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
  16. gdub

gdub

There's a huge thread on painting with rustoleum over on moparts.com.
    Do a search for rustoleum.

17. Slide

Slide

If you ever want to shoot something else over it, it's a lot of work. It gums up sandpaper BAD!!!! (I would expect to go through a half dozen sheets of sandpaper on a Model A coupe decklid.)

But it does seem to hold up reasonably well.

18. ray

ray
    from colorado

you might have noticed my girlfriends falcon wagon at the show sunday, it was a quickie rustoleum paintjob i slapped on earlier this week for the show.

19. HerbieDoo

HerbieDoo
    from Colorado

Don't do it Dave! Call me, I've got a case of JD Black coming in this week that I am splitting with Andy. We are gonna spray the bonneville and his 54 with it. It is holding up just fine on Jack's car

Moedog07 likes this.
  20. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

21. dave s

dave s

thanks guys!

ray, the car looked good on sunday. it was a nice finish.

herbie, i dont want to do black again, other wise i'd think about it. let me know if you guys want help preping or anything....

i'm going for a dark blue with white scallops, either semi gloss or gloss.

22. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I would never topcoat a car with anything other than car paint. If you use tractor paint or rustoleum, whoever ends up with the car after you WILL hate your guts if they want to put a real paintjob on it. I do like to use the rusty metal primer & glos black on frames and floorpans.

23. Bugman

Bugman

It should be noted to that many HAMBers have noticed a big difference in regular Rustolium, and athe Rustolium sold in CA. Seems teh CA stuff isn't nearly as durable as the "normal" stuff.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

You may be causing yourself more problems by using a non-automotive/farm machine type paint, especially trying to thin for a cheapo gun. If perfection is not the goal, go to Kragen's Auto Parts Store and get a few cans of Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel and go for it. Best about this paint is that it has a fan style spray nozzle, more like a real spray gun. Also, it comes inseveral colors-satin black looks good. Also, it will seal your metal until you can do a real paint job. Maaco Body@Paint Shops have a low dollar deal for about $275. It is up to you, but too cheap may look too sad.